Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest map downloads -Favourites issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest map downloads -Favourites issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Latest map downloads -Favourites issue Reply with quote

Hi
I have just downloaded the latest Tom Tom map of western europe. When I install it on my SD card I lose all my favourites and have to re do them and all the speed cameras and sounds. Is this the only way to manage the map downloads!
Thanks
dunk
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's always been a bit hit and miss as to whether the old MapSettings.cfg File will work with a new Map. The last few times it was OK. This time it's not.

As to Favourites, it's an oft repeated Mantra that it's better to turn them into a POI Category. This makes them portable between different Map versions and even different Devices.

Have a look at This for more information on how to do it.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a known workaround but. I downloaded the new map then copied over my mapsettings.cfg, rebooted and guess what, it hung as normal. So I restarted with TTH operated the device through TTH, checked fav's and all seemed OK. Rebooted and everything works woohoo...Laughing Out Loud
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - a fairly common workaround.

Seeing as I don't use favourites anymore I don't worry about it. Doesn't take long to set the camera warnings up again.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Doesn't take long to set the camera warnings up again.

I beg to differ there Andy, I find it a real ball-ache setting EU as well as UK.
Unless I am still in the dark ages and there is a quicker way. Smile
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you do it the same as the rest of us, there is no quicker way and I'll testify to a ball-ache when I forgot to do mine before setting off into a 300 mile trip round Wales yesterday. The quickest way I've found is to do it at 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway (JOKE!! Don't try this at home folks).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The quickest way I've found is to do it at 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway (JOKE!! Don't try this at home folks).

Yep thats the same way as me. I have to roll a ciggie to break the monotony though. Very Happy
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a pain even though it only takes about 10 minutes (UK full speed zoned)

Mind you, it was taking even longer before I realised what a prat I was in scrolling down 8 or 9 pages to get to PocketGPS every time instead of pressing the bloody P on the virtual keyboard! Embarassed

No problems with Faves though as I took advice on here last year and transferred them all to POIs. Wink
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
Not sure if this is a known workaround but. I downloaded the new map then copied over my mapsettings.cfg, rebooted and guess what, it hung as normal.

I find this strange, because I have never experienced a problem copying the file to the new map - it has always worked perfectly.

I'm not saying this just to gloat at all you folk who do find that it hangs, but more to indicate that it doesn't happen to everyone. I wonder if there's perhaps a feature which some people (but not me!) are using which corrupts the mapsettings.cfg in some way?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Assuming you do it the same as the rest of us, there is no quicker way and I'll testify to a ball-ache when I forgot to do mine before setting off into a 300 mile trip round Wales yesterday. The quickest way I've found is to do it at 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway (JOKE!! Don't try this at home folks).

Of course it was a joke - you should be doing at least 85mph in the outside lane. There's nothing worse than getting stuck behind someone doing only 70mph. Laughing
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responsible people should not speed. Not one mile over 79mph for me, TomTom 79mph that is..Laughing Out Loud
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I can't understand why anybody would even subscribe to map updates anymore. I just completed my year's subscription which I had taken in the belief that the maps really would become more current.

Two full years after a fairly major junction was changed in SWindon it still shows the original layout ( a roundabout instead of the traffic light controlled junction that now exists)

There are reams of complaints on here about map share corrections not being adopted and major changes not properly reflected and everybody knows the TeleAtlas maps are rubbish compared to Navteq.

I have decided that I am quite happy to run with the Q3 2009 maps which probably show the reality of the situation back in 2007 than pay yet more money to have maps reflecting the early 2008 situation Sad

TomTom have had their last penny out of me for the time being (and probably for all time if they don't sort their current LIVE services update issues)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
I must admit I can't understand why anybody would even subscribe to map updates anymore.

I have subscribed for one single solitary reason, money! I shall want a new map in the fullness of time - assume I'm happy with my existing map UK-ROI version 835. Just before the 840 map was announced, I was offered map update service, next four maps for £27.80 and I took it, so I've now got map 840 as the first of the four. I'll get another map every three months for the next three maps.

Right now, if instead I wanted to buy just one map and not commit to getting four, I could buy the 840 map directly from TT's website. It would cost me £49.95. The same price comparison applies to every different map - four maps for less than the price of one. It really is a no-brainer if you ever intend over the next twelve months to update your map. Sure, there's the argument that the maps take years to catch up with the roads, but I think each new one will have something new - it took long enough for the A419 roundabout to appear at Swindon (just north of M4), but it did eventually appear - it's not on my v675 maps (April 2007), but it's been on for quite a while now.

But I have four devices and I'm NOT going for update service on them all - I actually delight in observing that in most cases, they all give me the same route and ETA regardless of yer actual Live and IQ Routes - loada TomTom hype if you ask me!! "Our HD Traffic is wonderful and just what you need and our IQ Routes is wonderful and just what you need and our Mapshare is wonderful and just what you need". Oh yeah!! I think not! Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
Not sure if this is a known workaround but. I downloaded the new map then copied over my mapsettings.cfg, rebooted and guess what, it hung as normal. So I restarted with TTH operated the device through TTH, checked fav's and all seemed OK. Rebooted and everything works woohoo...Laughing Out Loud
This also worked again for me. My favourites are now POIs but it saved me having to set up all my UK & Europe camera warnings again.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, loaded mapconfig then ran through TThome "operate my go".

Then just rebooted and ran ok.

I use custom wording for speed cams so would be a real pain to do them all again.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: