Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this how it should be? Tomtom behaviour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this how it should be? Tomtom behaviour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Is this how it should be? Tomtom behaviour Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I subscribed to the database yesterday for the first time. My situation is that I have a Laguna Initiale with a very good built in sat nav system so just want a hidden device to warn me of cameras.

I tried in the past to find a solution and found very little which matched what I wanted (auto on/off with power, external antenna input, reasonable update costs and vocal warnings) but ended up with the AlerteGPS. Reasonable device but the updates do not really seem to include the UK, fantastic. I should have dropped the reasonable update costs from my requirements, but I didn't.

So I decided to replace the AlerteGPS with my old tomtom XL tucked under the dash, the downside being I have to remember to switch it on and off each time I want to use it.

The thing is, I won't ever use this for routing, just for camera warnings with the pocketGPS database. I think I have wasted my time and money however since my test this morning led to warnings all the time (I presume because I asked for things not to be on the route as I won't ever have a route).

Is there nothing I can do? I.e. is there no addin or option which allows it to only consider cameras on the approximate route/road I am on in the same way as my AlerteGPS? Is this normal behaviour and am I the only person that wants to use a tomtom as a camera device without a route all the time?

Thanks in advance.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should only get the warnings for the road you are on. Okay some times you can get adjacent road warnings but not often.

Are you sure that placing the TT under the dash it is not loosing gps lock, this would cause the map to jump about as it looses lock then re-locks and you may receive false warnings.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this how it should be? Tomtom behaviour Reply with quote

pghstochaj wrote:
The thing is, I won't ever use this for routing, just for camera warnings with the pocketGPS database.
Pocketgps wrote:
You should only get the warnings for the road you are on.
Only if using Routing and then Tick "Warn if on Route".

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
You should only get the warnings for the road you are on. Okay some times you can get adjacent road warnings but not often.

Are you sure that placing the TT under the dash it is not loosing gps lock, this would cause the map to jump about as it looses lock then re-locks and you may receive false warnings.

So as oldboy says, is it the case that I either:

Use routing and have "only if on route" selected.
or:
Do not use routing and put up with false alerts whenever I am in the radius of a camera?

The problem is, I don't ever intend to use routing.

The device has full lock, I have an external antenna fitted in the boot.

It looks like I have to keep looking for a solution Sad I had the false impression that people were using their tomtoms as a camera warning device without always routing.

Thanks Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use it for routing, just for cameras on route. Sounds silly, but you can achieve this by setting a route to "somewhere" beyond where you're going. If you're just going down to the shops, set a route to Birmingham or any other destination which is easy to input and is beyond where you're going. The device will recalculate as you travel and give you most "on route" cameras.

Quick solution would be Navigate to.... several destinations, e.g. Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dover, Southampton, Truro, Conway, Aberystwyth, Norwich. Then you can Navigate to ... Recent destination and select one at whichever point of the compass suits you. Use Silent Voice, of course, so that you don't get navigation instructions.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue exists because TomTom don't offer directional warnings in the true sense of the word and restrict what we can offer as third party data suppliers. We have directional data and make it available for those devices that support it.

Personally I never use the 'warn on route' option and I don't find the odd few warnings that are off to the side annoying personally.

But the best thing about using a mapping unit is being able to quickly refer to the display and see what the threat is and where. This to me is invaluable.

If I get warned about cameras on the other carriageway then I can live with that.

If this is a big issue for you then small devices like Inforad's K1 are tiny, can be hidden and use bleeps for the alerts AND have directional data. Inforad use our database.

But good as they are, they'd never replace a device with a display and map for me. I like to know if the warning is a Mobile or a fixed camera and where it is on the route. It keeps me alert, reminds me to moderate my driving and ensures my observation skills are being used.
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I think the idea from Dennis may work, but I guess only if the cameras would be on the route. I can think of circumstances where the tomtom would keep suggesting to turn around down side roads and miss off a camera. I wouldn't know since the display is hidden under my dashboard.

Such a shame and waste of money it seems - I didn't realise that the POI system on a tomtom wouldn't act by direction but I guess I should have thought about it harder and it becomes obvious. I have tried it, but I got warnings all over the place in Manchester and didn't have chance to think about driving because of the constant warnings! The same thing happens on SPEC zones where you get repeat warnings.

I would go for a K1 but I don't like anything on the dashboard (etc.) due to theft and hassle. I would need a unit which doesn't need a screen due to vocal outputs and has an external antenna input to work under the dash.

I now think that there are only two units (both not using the PGPSW database):

Road Angel Compact
Origin B2

So I am considering these. My alerteGPS would be fine if it didn't speak Canadian, didn't tell me to fasten my seatbelt each time it received power and had UK updates.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pghstochaj wrote:
I would go for a K1 but I don't like anything on the dashboard (etc.) due to theft and hassle.

It doesn't need to be on the dash. I have mine mounted up behind the mirror, it's tiny and very unobtrusive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: