Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 125 Casualties x 5 years = 17 Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

125 Casualties x 5 years = 17 Speed Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: 125 Casualties x 5 years = 17 Speed Cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe Yorkshire Evening Post has reported that 17 fixed speed cameras have been installed on a stretch of road that's witnessed 125 casualties in the last five years. Ten people died and 23 people sustained serious injuries over the period.

The new speed cameras have been installed on a West Yorkshire road in an attempt to reduce the large number of accidents between Waterloo, Huddersfield and the Wakefield boundary on the A642 Wakefield Road. It is believed that some of the cameras are dummies.

Councillor David Sheard, Kirklees cabinet member for Regeneration, Environment and Transport is reported as saying: "The safety cameras on Wakefield Road should encourage motorists to drive at a consistent and safe speed on the whole route.

"We considered many options including average speed cameras and fixed safety cameras but decided that average speed cameras would be unsuitable because of the number of junctions and changes in speed limit on this route."

Clr. Sheard previously introduced the French idea of installing glow-in-the-dark cut outs of human silhouettes, printed with the word "think", on many of the A642's accident black spots.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this not so long back. I tried to email a contact I had in West Yorks Safety Camera Partnership to see how they could justify so many cameras instead of adding, eg, chicanes etc to the road! Sadly I had no reply...

MaFt
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
......West Yorks Safety Camera Partnership to see how they could justify so many cameras.............I had no reply...

MaFt

Similar to Cumbria Speed Camera mobsters then - happy to put out propeganda and articles, including statistics to prove one road has a much lower accident rate. But don't reply to a question asking why all their effort just resulted in a couple of fewer fatal accidents in the whole county. My humble point was that their salary and running costs would be better served via Police Officer enforcement. Laughing

But of course they might lose their job. Or be redeployed to office staff dealing with real world crimes.

If I run at 12mph on an empty pavement am I breaking the law? If I walk at 4mph and stick my shoulder into passing folk then is this fine?

Fines? Oh no.....

I would be VERY interested to learn of West Yorks accident rates over the past 10 years, and correlate them to the quantity or cameras and tickets issued. Idea

This should be something in the public domain if the "partnership" are really there to make roads safer.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof this location has had no beneficial effects from a mobile speed unit! Rolling Eyes

Collision Statistics West Yorks, location A651

Road Number A651
Boundaries Oakroyd Drive to North View Road

Site Live Date 01-Apr-03
Speed Limit 30
Averge Speed 34
% Above Limit 81

Year ...KSI
1998... 7
1999... 5
2000... 4
2001... 4
2003... 4
2004... 4
2005... 3
2006... 3
2007... 4

KSI = Killed or Seriously Injured

Source...
http://www.safetycameraswestyorkshire.co.uk/mobile-location-stats.htm?camera=205
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gem, that's statistics for you. those in charge will see this as 'mobile havent worked so lets try fixed cameras instead' Evil or Very Mad

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gem.
Your post does not appear to be completely accurate transcript. The figures that you have given are for Personal Injury Collision, NOT KSI figures which are consederably fewer, withe average speeds (for 2003 - 2005) are only a little over the speed limit, and all within the 10%+2mph generally regarded as not excessive.

Still, the sentimate is still the same whichever figures you use. Confused
Spy_Dad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Statistics Reply with quote

Looking at random locations on that site, speed cameras have not reduced accidents whether they are PIC's or KSI. But then again the accidents may not have been speed related! And since this is not really stated the figures can only be related to accidents in general.
Since it is difficult to get the actual speed at the time of an accident, posting statistics in relation to a speed camera location prove nothing apart from accidents happen.
JohnMCJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: M8TJT Reply with quote

Still, the sentimate is the still same whichever figures you use.[/quote]
What is a sentimate?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: M8TJT Reply with quote

JohnMCJones wrote:
WizardMan wrote:
Still, the sentimate is the still same whichever figures you use.

What is a sentimate?

'sentiment' i presume he meant? i.e. the overall story / theme.

MaFt
grahammunro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Cameras on the Wakfield Road Reply with quote

I will not start on the argument for or against speed cameras, however I can comment on this road, it is extremely unpleasant to drive on with various speed limits and a forest of cameras which makes the journey a nightmare of constantly checking your speed and not much else. I avoid this road completely now and take any route, regardless of the extra milage. So much for saving the Planet. Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: M8TJT Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
WizardMan wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Still, the sentimate is the still same whichever figures you use.

What is a sentimate?

'sentiment' i presume he meant? i.e. the overall story / theme.

MaFt

We all make mistakes Embarassed But at least I know where my shift key is.
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I noticed this not so long back. I tried to email a contact I had in West Yorks Safety Camera Partnership to see how they could justify so many cameras instead of adding, eg, chicanes etc to the road! Sadly I had no reply...

MaFt

Your suggestion is unfair to a big section of the motorists.

Speed cameras are there to (hopefully) deter the large proportion of drivers who drive at excessive speeds. Those of us who keep (mostly) to the speed limits are not inconvenienced by speed cameras.

You have suggested that physical traffic calming measures should be introduced but I am not too happy with these as they inconvenience everyone not just the morons who speed all the time.

Why should I be made to pay a penalty when I am not the cause of the problem?

Let's start a real safety campagn by introducing hidden fixed and mobile speed cameras?

Why not?

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djchapple wrote:
You have suggested that physical traffic calming measures should be introduced but I am not too happy with these as they inconvenience everyone not just the morons who speed all the time.

Why should I be made to pay a penalty when I am not the cause of the problem?
I'm with you on this one. But have you noticed how, generally, the misdemeanours of a small minority end up affecting the majority. And how the bleatings of a vociferous minority end up adversely affecting the majority, often with irrelevant 'Green', totally unneccessary 'elf n safty' or stupidly misguided PC reasons?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: