Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Etrex Legend c, Mapsource and Openstreetmap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Etrex Legend c, Mapsource and Openstreetmap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Etrex Legend c, Mapsource and Openstreetmap Reply with quote

I want to put topo maps of England on my Etrex Legend c.
Garmin Discoverer maps are not possible for this unit so at first I was looking at the Garmin Topo GB DVD. However, after seeing the amount of extra detail on the Openstreetmap maps I started to consider them. As the Legend only has 24MB of internal memory I cannot load full country maps. I have experimented using two map distributors on the Openstreetmap site (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download). Firstly with tiles provided by Lambertus who also prepares the map images for viewing in Mapsource. Secondly with tiles provided by Computerteddy later processing the images with a programme called Mapsource Manager to ready them for viewing in Mapsource. Both approaches worked well as far as getting the maps into Mapsource. However, much of the detail on the Openstreetmap maps does not display once put into Mapsource. As an example I downloaded maps for the New Forest area. On the original there many footpaths, but none of these display in Mapsource.

Paul
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Mapsource and Openstreetmap Reply with quote

I updated Mapsource to the latest version and downloaded maps using Firefox rather than IE. After processing with Mapsource Manager the footpaths are now displaying. Now I just need to get my head around adding contours.

Paul
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Topographic Maps on Etrex Legend c Reply with quote

Found many of the programmes suggested for putting together maps based on openstreetmap for uploading to a Garmin GPS a bit technical. I downloaded the contours I needed from the Scottish Mountaineering Club Site and followed the directions for loading into Mapsource:

http://www.paulmac.force9.co.uk/geo/index.html

I wanted to use Mapsource as it seemed safer than loading straight into internal memory. I then downloaded openstreetmap tiles from user computerteddy on the openstreetmap site using the lat/long map. I then used Free Mapsource Mapset Manager: ezMS v1.04 (6 Mar 2009) to make this mapset viewable in Mapsource:

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=909

This seems to be an excellent programme and simple to use. It took a lot of searching on the internet to find it so I thought it may be worth passing the information on.

I then selected the tiles I needed from both maps using Mapsource and uploaded the mapset to the Etrex Legend. They seem to have integrated well.

Paul
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Topographic Maps on Etrex Legend c Reply with quote

After some further experimentation I have found that the maps prepared using Free Mapsource Mapset Manager: ezMS v1.04 when displayed in Mapsource are producing some thick gridlines in parts of the map which as they are nearly the same colours and thickness as main roads can be a little confusing. This is a pity as it is a simple programme to use. This does not appear to be a problem once the mapset is loaded to the unit. However,in view of this problem with the display in Mapsource I have tried some other approaches.

The tiles provided by user Lambertus on the openstreetmap site are automatically processed and a link is provided for the download. Once downloaded and executed the map is ready for viewing in Mapsource. This is simple and effective and does not appear to generate any display problems in Mapsource. However, some of the image tiles are large and it restricts the area I can put into the 24 Mb of internal memory I have available on the Etrex.

The other approach I have found is to use MapsetToolKit in combination with cgpsmapper. I found a simple explanation of the process here:

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/adding-garmin-img-files-to-mapsource

This also seems to produce display errors in Mapsource eg: I found a straight blue thin line which shouldn't be there and more random thick coloured lines looking like roads. (I have yet to check if the display on the unit is clear of this). This is in fact more problematic than the display using ezMS v1.04. I think I will redownload the cgpsmapper programme in case there is a problem with it.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Any simple alternatives for getting maps into Mapsource?

Paul
Eddiejen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps.

I have used this site to maps onto my Garmin Vista hcx by copying the .img fille to a memory card. I understand you may not use a memory card but it may be of some help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: