Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cambridgeshire - Safety or Speed Camera Partnership
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambridgeshire - Safety or Speed Camera Partnership
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Cambridgeshire - Safety or Speed Camera Partnership Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comCambridgeshire's SafetyCam Partnership are in the news once again. They featured last month when we posted news of their decision to upgrade their vans and go blue rather than white.

Now they have announced they plan to target speeding motorists on roads where there has been no history of serious collisions or injuries.

The announcement follows a survey they conducted which asked members of the public if they would like to see camera vans used in areas which were not black spots. The survey had a less then resounding response with some 520 people responding, 330 of which were in favour.

So in light of this perhaps Cambridgeshire Safety Camera Partnership will consider a change of name, after all we've always known these so called safety cameras have little to do with safety and a lot to do with revenue raising.

navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who the 520 people they asked were. I bet there weren't many drivers among them. Probably the local cycle group, Mothers against cars, Friends of the earth, the Greens etc.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how many civilians are employed by the Cambridgeshire Constabulary? 520, is it? If so, was it a question in their Annual Staff Review? Twisted Evil

OK, ok, I'll get off the curtains... they're apparently ripping already Laughing
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to use the word hypocrite to describe the so-called safety camera partnership, but I will.

To quote from their web site:

Inspector Hale added: "The safety camera vans are out on the county's roads everyday conducting speed checks.
"This is part of ongoing work to reduce the number of collisions on the county's roads."

But now they are deploying their vans is areas where it is known that they will NOT reduce the number of collisions, as they already have a low accident record. Surely that is in contravention of whatever charter they partnership was set up under.
chatman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt they will be parked up on Verges and bridges and side of paths and blocking other access ways....All things us normal law abiding road users cant do or would not do....
suziedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with how these camera vans are parked up is quite interesting. We all know of course that they park in such positions to not be immediately obvious to motorists to maximize the revenue collection service that they pursue!

However unless they have received special dispensation from the relevant council then it could be successfully argued that they are causing an unnecessary obstruction or parked in a dangerous position and bearing in mind that grassed areas are there as an escape route for vehicles in trouble.

Therefore the unsafe parking of safety camera vans should be dealt with as any other offender would be.

I do not shrink from reporting such instances to the Police and always ask for a incident reference number so that the Police action can be checked. A photograph is always compelling evidence to produce as required.

Like the old saying goes 'Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.... Wink
chip_hazzard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I must admit i brought my GPS for just such a incedent in the cambrigeshire area, however the van was NOT marked with any livery and when contested was told the old "safty cam for reducing colisions" so basicly did not matter 3 points added ect.... but when i contacted cambs police about a major incedent of "road rage" i was ignored (my small saloon, tailgated within mm, large 4x4 tells the story) all this through the A14 Average Speed Check area (yellow cams) that "always" take snaps they (camb pol) could not find any evidence.

so in a nut shell. Safty Cams MY A$$, just another way to buy homes for MP's, Cheif Supers ect..... we have more CCTV and "Safty cams" then any other country in the world and still law abiding average joes still get screwed by the system thats ment to protect us. and MY one finger goes out to any one who supports these, police, MP's, PSO's and idiots who have no idea.

Sorry for the essay but this f#@ks me right off.
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Safety cameras' are all about the black hole in the very generous police pension fund and nothing about safety at all. Through fuel taxes, road tax, VAT and speeding fines, motorists are the milch cows that fund much of what goes on in the UK.

Our best weapon against spped cameras are GPS databases like the superb ones provided by pocket gps world - and I have no doubt that the use of these in satnavs will no doubt soon become illegal as soon as they realise they could catch more people by denying them such information.
kleinbaas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Copy of email to Police: Reply with quote

Hi
I have noticed new Speed Cameras on the A1 just north of St Neots. Are these “Average Speed Cameras”? If so, I would like to point out that there are no signs stating that they are “Average Speed Cameras” only the standard Speed Camera “icons” and signs stating that they remain in place for safety reasons.
I presume this means that the reduced speed limit and speed cameras remain in place following some road works. If so, what is the speed limit to be once the road works are complete?
Regards
Albert
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its time people started to photograph Speed Camera vans when they are parked dangerously or illegally and post them up on the internet, perhaps we could have a specific thread for people to use for such activity, as long as they include some basic information as to where the van was located along with the picture.
It would make interesting subject matter for some of the national press if it gets enough entries, I am not meaning just Cambridgeshire's operations but nationwide?? - Any thoughts - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a website that does just that here. But the major issue is that the Police/Council/SCP couldn't care less and state that SCP vans on duty have dispensation to park as they see fit to do their duty.

So to catch people speeding it's OK to park on pavements, block slip roads and cause other safety issues.

I'm happy to have a page with photos of SCP vans parked in circumstances that would otherwise be illegal for the rest of us.

A local piece in our rag is similar, a council parking warden car parks on double yellows to issue tickets to other motorists and the council see nothing wrong in that. Makes my blood boil.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking back to the recent thread about a red light incident involving an emergency vehicle
Quote:
Driver issued Redlight Ticket making way for 999 van
where there appeared to be a clear responsibility on the emergency service drivers not to proceed through a red light if that would cause inconvenience or danger to other traffic
Quote:
There is also an interesting post on here today giving ACPO guidelines, one of which states that even if an emergency (exempted) vehicle does go through red lights they MUST do so not causing any danger or inconvenience to other traffic and that they CAN also still be held accountable if they act irresponsibly.
I would be interested to know what the legal 'dispensation' for these parking incidents actually is.

Or is it just a case of "that's what we say we are allowed to do, unless anyone can prove otherwise"?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I think its time people started to photograph Speed Camera vans when they are parked dangerously or illegally

Darren wrote:

I'm happy to have a page with photos of SCP vans parked in circumstances that would otherwise be illegal for the rest of us.

Erm....
When I posted a picture (admittedly of an actual police car) doing just that, you deleted it along with the rest of the post. Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Erm....
When I posted a picture (admittedly of an actual police car) doing just that, you deleted it along with the rest of the post. Confused

I don't recall doing that but if I did there must have been a reason?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell me!
You said we were getting too far off topic (although it had been well OT for some time), I put it down to "grumpiness". Very Happy
We had a brief exchange of PMs and we agreed to differ!

You might remember the photo though.... It was a police station near me where they regularly park right up on the pavement (also on double yellow lines) while they go in for their tea.

This time it was noteworthy because there was actually a big "park in the yellow at your peril" banner put up by the council right behind them!

I can always repost it? Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: