Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with odd satnav system???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with odd satnav system???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
normannomates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: help with odd satnav system??? Reply with quote

Afternoon,

this is my first post here and im struggling like mad with my Boss's Satnav system.

he bought it from the internet from China, the box makes no reference to manufacturer name but believe its a PDA type thing. (says it has satnav, photo, music, e book, flash player, games)

it has a built in GPS receiver which does work and connect to satalites but it obviously needs some satnav software. there is an option to direct it to the exe file which would be on the SD card.

i have put my SD card in (which has Tom Tom 5 installed and works perfectly on my Ipaq). when i direct the thing to the exe file, it opens the tom tom 5 opening screen, then closes it and nothing happens.

i need to try and get this working as its for my boss but lost as to where to look now!!! the instructions are pretty useless although they do make reference to WINCE_GPS.exe

very grateful for anyones help if possible???

Thanks in Advance,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find any part numbers or a name plate on the device it would handy, if not does it have a help/ about button when you start it up?

Is this a windscreen mounted device or a car radio/ DVD type set up with large screen?

You won't get your TT software running on it as your map will be locked to your hardware, you would need to purchase another map - Mike
normannomates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply.

its windscreen mounted. details i can find so far are
Romversion : 7da82c.yf.f.9.25
software versionoem info: custom information
platform id: 5946504e44383243
device id: 2d314a1901000345

looks like these but as far as i am aware, there was no software / sd card with it when it was purchased.

http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.19609

thanks again!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike has said, you'll need to buy software/maps for this device. You don't have to stick with TT, plenty of other options such as iGo or Sygic McGuider?
normannomates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks!

have no problem buying the maps but want to make sure i get something that works!!

as there is no name on the device i cant see if it is compatable with various types of software. my experience with TT made me wonder if it was the device that wasnt right or if it was just the software which is registered to my Ipaq

Many thanks for your help so far!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normannomates wrote:
Looks like these but as far as i am aware, there was no software / sd card with it when it was purchased.

http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.19609

thanks again!!

The software that is on those uints is just a demo version of iGo, so they are selling illegal doctored software HERE (opens in a new window).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very tempted to send that back and demand a full refund as its not fit for the intended purpose - without maps that can be used a GPS system isn't much use in a car!
Considering the price you could purchase a low end TomTom device and still save money ending up with a far more supportable and stable platform, the only software I have recently tried on a Win CE based device is McGuider and that worked, but I was using different hardware to what your boss has purchased - Mike
michnscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: needing maps for no name gps Reply with quote

I found the following site that has the exact features and even icons of the no name brand I bought cheap on e-bay.
http://www.otoproduct.com/productshow.asp?ID=583
So because the seller bailed Pay Pal favored me in a dispute, BUT why waste this good unit as I also want to pay and download maps on to the 2gb sd card. Has anyone been able to find a source to make this purchase. I wrote the above company but have not yet gotten an answer from them. Please anyone????????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: