Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XL Live SatNav press launch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XL Live SatNav press launch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom XL Live SatNav press launch Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comOn the 20th May TomTom announced the latest in their range of connected SatNav systems: the TomTom XL Live. Last week we were invited by TomTom to go to London and view them in action. Of course we took our video equipment and have an interview with Dennis from TomTom explaining the new features of the TomTom XL Live.

The XL Live is a connected version of the TomTom XL IQ reviewed here including a SIM card that works in all the "Live" countries in Europe rather than just your home country. The TomTom XL range of SatNavs is targetted at the mid-range of the GPS users. The XL Live includes full European mapping in 42 countries with Live data in UK, France, Germany Switzerland and Holland.

Unfortunately the location chosen for the demonstration was underground and had no mobile signal so the live services didn't work. However as we have been beta testing the GPS I was able to get some comments from one of the testers who compares it very favourably to the GO x40 Live SatNavs. With the XL live you get the core navigation services and Live services that are available on the TomTom x40s but lose some features such as the hands free calling.

The TomTom XL Live has a slim profile but a full wide screen display, coupled with a nice minimalistic mount the SatNav has a standard mini USB connector so opens up a large number of mounting options from 3rd parties at reasonable cost.

The live services include Traffic, Speed Camneras, Fuel pricing and Google live search. I have found the most useful of these is the Google search. This extends the built in POIs from 2 million to over 10 Million, but Google will almost always have what you are searching for. I am not sure that paying £7.99 a month can be justified for Google alone, but combined with the Traffic and a lot of driving it does become more attractive.

TomTom's HD traffic is an order of magnitude better than the normal RDS/TMC traffic but is still far from perfect. I have experienced some "dynamic" traffic situations since I have been using the Live services including a huge delay reported when there was none, and no delay when I was stuck in traffic for nearly an hour. Apart from these extremes the traffic information does seem reasonable and the live data combined with IQ routing does seem to give a much more accurate estimate of arrival times.

The question you need to ask is does the cost of ownership for 2 years justify the expense: XL Live £249.99 plus £151.95 for Live services plus £63.60 for up to date maps a total of £465.54. Compared with a TomTom XL IQ £179.99 plus £48.93 for RDS/TMC traffic plus £63.60 for up to date maps totals £292.52, a difference of £173.02.

Click here to see our video interview with TomTom at the press launch.

The full TomTom press release follows:
TomTom brings LIVE Services to mid-range navigation devices with TomTom XL LIVE

~ Connected navigation services to be used seamlessly in multiple European countries for the first time ~

20 May 2009 – Following the success of LIVE Services on the premium TomTom GO range, TomTom today announces the next step in connected navigation: the TomTom XL LIVE. This product enables LIVE Services to be used in multiple countries* with no hidden costs or extra fees for drivers when travelling abroad.

For the first time, the TomTom XL LIVE will bring LIVE Services, previously only available on the TomTom GO x40 LIVE series, to the mass market with a price point of £249.99†. In addition, TomTom will extend the use of LIVE Services to all ‘LIVE’ countries while keeping the current monthly subscription fee of £7.99 per month.

“Imagine a stress-free, safe and enjoyable journey as you drive abroad this summer, with the most detailed and up-to-date traffic information and the best routing information delivered directly to your car – for a flat fee,” said Corinne Vigreux, managing director TomTom. “With the new TomTom XL LIVE, we have developed a revolutionary approach to bringing unrivalled quality and truly connected navigation to the mass market at an affordable price. In addition to this, it will enable frequent drivers to save money and time.”

Overview of TomTom LIVE Services
The TomTom XL LIVE has plug and play connectivity built in, and comes with a number of valuable information services for motorists:

TomTom High Definition Traffic™: for the most detailed and up-to-date real-time traffic information en route, now available for the first time abroad across the UK, Germany, France and Switzerland and the Netherlands.
TomTom Safety Alerts: including real-time safety camera reporting and sharing, meaning users can keep each other informed about mobile safety cameras.
TomTom Fuel Prices: up-to-date fuel price information guides users to the cheapest fuel stations along routes or in their area.
Online Local Search with Google: turns search results into a destination at the press of a button, giving users access to millions of locations and delivering search results that are always up to date.

The TomTom XL LIVE also features TomTom’s IQ Routes™ technology. Depending on the time of the week or hour of the day drivers set off, IQ Routes calculates the most efficient route for that moment derived from years of gathering anonymous historic speed measurements. The combination of TomTom IQ Routes and HD Traffic delivers unbeatable route guidance. If the real-time traffic information differs from what would be expected, based on historical speed profiles, the device automatically takes this into account. This means it continuously evaluates faster alternative routes.

The TomTom XL LIVE includes maps of 42 European countries.**

Also included is a free three month trial of LIVE Services. After this, users can register for a monthly, flat fee subscription of £7.99. Alternatively, users can select a pre-paid subscription for six months (£47.99) or 12 months (£79.99) available via HYPERLINK "http://www.tomtom.com" www.tomtom.com, TomTom HOME or in selected stores.

Compatibility for TomTom GO x40 LIVE customers
Current TomTom GO x40 LIVE customers will receive a free, automatic upgrade by the end of 2009, which will enable them to use their LIVE Services in all LIVE countries (UK, France, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands).

Availability and pricing
The TomTom XL LIVE Europe 42 is expected to be available in stores in June 2009. The suggested retail price is £249.99†. For more information, please visit: www.tomtom.com
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Tom Tom could launch a feature based on mobile data in a venue with no mobile coverage.
Holux GPSslim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, well the video was clear and concise. Aaaa the camera angles were good as well.

Every sentence began with Umm or Aaa, what is the cost of using the 'Lie' stuff across Europe. I take it that there is going to be a cost attached to the use of the sim card.
Or do you have to buy that as an extra, haven't paid much attention to the Lie stuff before to be honest.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Ummm, well the video was clear and concise. Aaaa the camera angles were good as well.

Every sentence began with Umm or Aaa, what is the cost of using the 'Lie' stuff across Europe. I take it that there is going to be a cost attached to the use of the sim card.
Or do you have to buy that as an extra, haven't paid much attention to the Lie stuff before to be honest.

The XL LIVE comes with roaming LIVE services in supported countries as part of the LIVE subscription fee.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Darren's (TomTom) defence it is not easy having a camera stuffed in his face and then getting on with a spiel with no auto prompter. I should know I have 4 or 5 takes just doing a 20 second voiceover :D

In response to potential extra charges for Europe there will not be additional fees for Traffic ( and I assume the lesser services like Google, Fuel and Weather) I got the distinct impression that they had not thought about Speed Camera updates abroad though.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, got you. Just read MikeB post above, which is a fuller version than what I read on the Home page (I don't think I clicked on the 'read more' ) bit.

He was clear in what he was saying, fair play, and when up and running knew what he had to say.
You have to make a conscious effort not to hesitate when answering questions.

It also appears that the 'v' key on MBP doesn't work either, have to tap it a couple of times to work.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
It also appears that the 'v' key on MBP doesn't work either, have to tap it a couple of times to work.

Ah, I wondered what the 'Lie' references were all about. Thought it was a dig at TomTom somehow!
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the europe wide live services apply to go x40 as well?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As announced here TomTom are saying existing subscribers to LIVE services on the x40 will receive a free upgrade to allow reception of LIVE services whilst roaming by the end of 2009.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
253 wrote:

Ah, I wondered what the 'Lie' references were all about. Thought it was a dig at TomTom somehow!

Very Happy Now, could anybody accuse TT of that?

No, think the keyboard is getting a bit knacked, have to hit the 'v' key in the top left to get it to work. Bit of a pain having to go back and spell check all the time.
Mind you, a possible excuse to justify a new MBP???
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Mind you, a possible excuse to justify a new MBP???

Nice, I've got a 15" Unibody MBP, lovely it is too albeit way OT.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:

Hey, I was only commenting on the lack of mobile signal in the venue for a product that needs a signal. Dennis (not Darren I think) from TT was really good at presenting the product. Great confident presentation and I'm certainly not criticising that element. In fact I'm tempted to offer him a job when he gets fed up of the flack he must get on a tradeshow stands open to the public!
Holux GPSslim
ihunter
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As announced here TomTom are saying existing subscribers to LIVE services on the x40 will receive a free upgrade to allow reception of LIVE services whilst roaming by the end of 2009.

Just updated my 940 and I'm now offered 'Live Services + abroad'. The 12 month price is also no longer discounted.

** The 12 month price is now discounted again. **

Last edited by ihunter on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
smokley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As is often the case, it's just as quick to stay in traffic..."

Asks a number of questions...
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokley wrote:
"As is often the case, it's just as quick to stay in traffic..."

Asks a number of questions...

It does sound daft, but in reality it isn't. If you have a 5 min delay, you could perhaps go around it but that diversion would take 10 mins. Better to suffer the traffic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: