Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera nabs 23,500 drivers in 14 days
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera nabs 23,500 drivers in 14 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with what Mike has said This to me sounds like a lot of spin and publicity from a wanna be MP and a local politician of the same party.

At the end of the day if you are speeding and you get a fined plus points you only have yourself to blame it takes a split second to glance at your speedo to see what you are doing, if your moaning about this wait until you end up like Portsmouth a 20mph zone. I have complained to Portsmouth city council as to why the road outside where I take my child to school is a 30mph limit yet all the side roads are a 20mph limit it doesn’t make sense I witness the lollypop lady nearly being knocked over because of drivers speeding around a blind bend leading to the entrance to the school when you ask them to slow down the normal answer is why should I, myself would like to see all speed camera removed from the roads where just to make money and put out side schools working on a part time bases with the schools being able to do a manual override should they have an after school activity an need the times of the camera extended or if they have an inset day and the school is shut then the camera can be turned off.

YTD is like many roads and this will go on for ever with drivers moaning about speed limits but motorist these days really don’t care about anyone else as long as they get to where they want and at what ever speed they chose to go at, I should no this as the other week someone speeding down my road decided to hit my car as they missed judge the gap between my car and the other side of the road had they been driving at the correct speed they would have had time to asses the gap and for the record my car was parked up outside my house, when I asked the drive why they felt the need to speed the reply was I got fed up waiting after letting to cars through so I just put my foot down, she is now having a nice chat with the local bobby and paying for my damage.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean16v wrote:
I, myself would like to see all speed camera removed from the roads where just to make money and put out side schools working on a part time bases with the schools being able to do a manual override should they have an after school activity an need the times of the camera extended or if they have an inset day and the school is shut then the camera can be turned off.

+1 for this suggestion, but make the cameras the Monitron types and use them to prosecute the parents that stop illegally to drop their kids off which compromises others safety.

You all know the ones I mean who, despite road markings clearly stating it is illegal to stop in this area and yet they still pull on to the pavement.

The variable limit can be easily signed these days and therefore enforced, 20 MPH while the school is opening/ lunch/ end of day at all other times including weekend the speed limit can revert to the higher limit - I fail to see why this is so difficult? - Mike
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this camera in the camera database?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pj123 wrote:
Is this camera in the camera database?

I think you missed the point here. It is not a camera. It was politician's spin!
grumble53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:

Is there anybody here who knows this village? Has there been a particularly bad accident record there?

Yew Tree Drive is a fairly wide single carriage way with a good surface which ordinarily would make 30mph feel slow but, there is an infant or primary school halfway along it. Traffic does routinely exceed the speed limit seemingly without regard for the school so it's understandable that steps have been taken to reduce the speed using a camera. There are also keep left bollards with a filter lane in the centre of the road outside the school entrance which are ineffective at slowing down the traffic. Lane width reduction has always worked for me to focus my concentration and I don't see why such a method has not been tried here. Rumble strips are a good wake up too if they're prominant enough, I say that because the state of the roads are such that they would otherwise blend in with the potholes!
Whilst I generally dislike speed cameras, (I would much rather see a greater number of police on the roads for various reasons) I can see why they've put one here.
Check it out on google earth "Yew Tree Drive, Whiteley" and take a look at http://campaigns.libdems.org.uk/SaferWhiteley (No affiliation, just happened to be the first hit with a google search).

grumble
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people ignore the 30mph zone, what chance of taking notice of a 20 mph zone. Sad
You imply that there is a camera there. Is there or is it a light up speed sign, or is it a figmen t of someone's imagination Question
grumble53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
If people ignore the 30mph zone, what chance of taking notice of a 20 mph zone. Sad
You imply that there is a camera there. Is there or is it a light up speed sign, or is it a figmen t of someone's imagination Question

My bad, It's a light up speed sign.
1968Dad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit here IS correct as just around the corner is a primary school. There has been a serious accident here in recent years when the road was closed for the Air Ambulance to attend, there have been other less serious accidents here too.

Whiteley is possibly the UK's biggest cul-de-sac. This road leads to a couple of thousand homes and this is their only entrance and exit. The local council in their great wisdom recently opened an £800,000 50 meter bus only link to another main road which is used by approximateley 8 buses a day. For a non-bus vehicle to get from one side of the link to the other is a journey of just over 2 miles, this is why speeding is a BIG problem on that particular road.

If message boards like this one were able to campaign to open up to all traffic this white elephant of tax payers money (no I don't think anyone put it on their expenses!!!) it would greatly help to reduce speeds.

Thank you.

Philip wrote:
It is entirely possible that the real problem here is that the speed limit has been set at an unnecessarily low level.

Research shows that 85% of drivers will drive at a speed which they feel to be safe for a given road, regardless of the posted speed limit. In fact, this has been enshrined in American legislation, and the 85th percentile is used to set the speed limit.

For a camera to have caught quite so many drivers in such a short time period it seems unlikely that the speed limit has been set correctly.

Is there anybody here who knows this village? Has there been a particularly bad accident record there?
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1968Dad wrote:
The speed limit here IS correct as just around the corner is a primary school. There has been a serious accident here in recent years when the road was closed for the Air Ambulance to attend, there have been other less serious accidents here too.

Are you sure the accidents were speed realated though because less than 10% are?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: