Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:56 pm Post subject: Road Angel 7000 \please can you help I want to run Mem Map
Hi there my name is Jonathan and I am a hot air balloon pilot. I wish to fly using the RA as a moving map dispaly with sensitive area overlays
I have purchased a standard Road Angel 7000 Sat nag.
I also own the Southern region of Memory map V5 software and have earlier versions as well, V3 and V4
Please can someone help with the following queries.
1. Idiots guide to loading the required software to run MM on it
2. Guide on loading as much MM on it as possible and overlays
3. Largest most suitable SD card or SDHC which can run on it?
4. Can alternate maps be scanned in and loaded?
I am also interested in actual battery life with full brightness/ suggested power support or alternate batteries?
Suggested settings to us with the RA it does not have to have the screen on till i actually touch it to look.
Basically any help advice or experience would really be appreciated
Joined: Feb 23, 2005 Posts: 375 Location: Catford, London, UK
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 am Post subject:
Sorry, I can't help much with the RA specifics (maybe someone else can) but here are some MM answers:
1. I think you need the special RA/MM "CE" client software which used to be available from the RA or MM websites (the MM technical forum is now deceased). Version 5.2. introduced a "soft" keyboard, but the (PC and PPC) licensing arrangements were also changed at this time.
2. RA and PPCs can only accept map files up to about 300MBytes each. This was the size of the 2003 and 2004 version maps but these are not compatible with MMv5. v5 maps need to be cut into smaller sections by creating a closed Route around each section, then Right-click : Operations : Send enclosed map to mobile device. It's much quicker to send direct via a card reader. But Overlay files can only be transferred via Active Sync.
3. I believe the RA is not SDHC compatible so the best card size is probably 2GBytes. This is large enough for the whole GB at 1:1M and 1:250k scales plus about half GB at 1:50k, including .QED (elevation data) and .MMI (placenames index) files if available.
4. Yes, download the European Edition, preferably version v.5.1.3, which will install in addition to the OS version on PC. Scan/convert the paper maps to 8 bit (256 colour) PNG files and add to the PC map list. Calibrate and transfer the generated .QCT file(s) to memory card for the RA.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum