Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fitting the x40 accessory dock
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitting the x40 accessory dock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
spikeywelsh wrote:
just got mine today and installed it. have to say that i am very happy with it, just working out the best place to put the TMC cable now.
I presume that's the Carcomm one? Can you confirm which TMC device it supports.

no its not the Carcomm one

no the TMC cable does not come with it, where is a gap in the mount to place the cable in it. it uses the older style cable, not the newer USB cable.

i take a photo of my set up so you can see what it looks like
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeywelsh wrote:

no the TMC cable does not come with it, where is a gap in the mount to place the cable in it. it uses the older style cable, not the newer USB cable

For the 940?
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
spikeywelsh wrote:

no the TMC cable does not come with it, where is a gap in the mount to place the cable in it. it uses the older style cable, not the newer USB cable

For the 940?

the mount i have is for the x30
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom accessory dock which fits to the Brodit Pro clip can use either the round plug RDS-TMC receiver or it can use the Mini USB style device as they both work with it.

The best option for the RDS-TMC wire is to bury it behind the dash with the end connected to the car aerial via a splitter cable, I detailed how to make an issolated RDS-TMC splitter lead a couple of weeks ago on the forum, see Here for details - Mike
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The TomTom accessory dock which fits to the Brodit Pro clip can use either the round plug RDS-TMC receiver or it can use the Mini USB style device as they both work with it.

The best option for the RDS-TMC wire is to bury it behind the dash with the end connected to the car aerial via a splitter cable, I detailed how to make an issolated RDS-TMC splitter lead a couple of weeks ago on the forum, see Here for details - Mike

thanks for the info, the only problem i see is if i change my tomtom, and have it hard wired into the car, i am looking at getting a x40 mount is diffrent so it would mean a re-wire everthign when i change tomtoms or is there a better way to do it
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeywelsh wrote:
the mount i have is for the x30

Ok, but then that must be the Brodit one rather than Carcomm? Carcomm's x30 mount has a built-in TMC pigtail lead with mini-USB support?

Carcomm x20/30 Cradle

The Brodit mount has a clip/cut-out for the original RDS-TMC antenna:

Brodit x20/x30 Cradle
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is the Brodit one which has a clip for the original RDS-TMC
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeywelsh wrote:
yes it is the Brodit one which has a clip for the original RDS-TMC

Ah ok, you said Carcomm hence the clarification!

And in answer to your Q, yes, the downside of the integration of these is that when you change cradles you'd need to re-install, not a huge job but still not as simple as a cradle that used a cigarette charger lead.
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got mine running off a cigarette charger lead at the moemnt, will have a look at the hard wired option when i upgrade my tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Ah ok, you said Carcomm hence the clarification!

No he didn't.. Only Jock did... Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
No he didn't.. Only Jock did... Smile

You're right of course, he said "no it's not the carcomm one" and I misread it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I will be extending the above guide next weekend to show what I am going to do to hide all the cables so check back on Saturday where I should have an update detailing how to hide the wiring - Mike

This took a while longer than I wanted due to some engine related electronic failure that put the car off the road for a week or two, but today I decided I had seen enough of all those cables strewn about the car and decided to tidy it all up - Far from a small task due to the amount of wiring from the new stereo that seems to have apeared since the first post:

Having removed the central air vent from the car I set to with a Dremel to cut a small access hole for the cables that were going to the 940, in this case the power lead, audio line out and the RDS-TMC round style plug

The three cables are easily fed through the newly made hole, any V70 owners should note the area I cut through is doubled skinned so you need to make two cuts and if you remove the Climatic Control Panel do not disconnect it or the car will throw an airbag fault.

Feeding the cables through the airvent was good fun, in the end I took the vent to bits and put the cables through where I needed them before reassembling the vent afterwards, fiddly but not impossible, the trick is to only put the power cable through one opening and the othe other two cables through an adjacent vent hole. Doing this lets the airvent still operate correctly and spreads the cables ready to connect to the 940 mount.

As I had most of the dash trim out of the car for access and I hate wires in the car I decided to sort out the iPhone cables at the same time, the power connector for the iPhone is easily removed from the Brodit holder by releasing the two screws on the rear of the phone holder, this makes it much easier to push the cable with connector through any available gaps in the trim.

Push the connector back in to position within the Brodit mount then resecure using the closure plate and two screws.

Resecure the Brodit Active holder to the swivel coupling by tightening the center screw, only finger tight is needed though, any more than this will snap the plastic on one part of the ball joint.

I pulled out the stereo to gain access to certain connections, firstly the RDS-TMC receiver needed connecting to the car aerial cable via a splitter cable I made a while ago (detailed in This Thread).

I was also fitting a three way 12V outlet socket to power the TomTom charger and iPhone power addaptor, the feeded wires to this were simply tagged to the stereo ignition switched power wires using Scotch locks.

At this point its worth checking the power is working correctly so I switched it all on and got indications of charge for both the 940 and the iPhone so it was time to start tidying up.

Before burying all of this I taped up the power addaptors so they couldn't migrate out of the sockets due to vibration and/ or thermal creep - easy to do just bind them together with PVC tape.

The power addaptor was then secured to the underside of the glovebox support bracket with more tape, it looks a little unsightly but once the cars back together non of this will be seen. The orange boxes are part of the iO-Play device I added to the car for decent Handsfree support, this is detailed in This Thread, the boxes get hidden when the trim is replaced.

I added a new cable to the stereo during this install which adds iPOD support to the stereo, whilst I probably don't need this (yet) it saves taking the whole lot out again to add a simple cable, this is nothing to do with the TomTom but adds iPOD input to the stereo and offers full control of a device plugged in to it. I decided against using this with the iPhone as I have a Bluetooth module for that which negates the need for cables.

All cabled up and working - Oh look no wires and remember this includes an RDS-TMC receiver, much neater even though it did take a few hours.

With the 940 off its bracket all that is left is a simple shoe that is pre-wired and ready to go once the device is dropped in to position.

The iPhone holder also attracts less attention as there are no tell tale wires going to it strewn all over the car.

Next job is to vac out the inside of the car, bits of black plastic dust have got all over from the cutting job, but overall I am happy with the installation and the flexibility I get from the kit - Mike
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just got a tomtom x50 will the x40 dock work on it as i can not see any for a x50

thxs

spikey
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeywelsh wrote:
i have just got a tomtom x50 will the x40 dock work on it as i can not see any for a x50

thxs

spikey

Yes, exactly the same dock connector and case design so x40 cradles will fit x50's and vice versa.
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
spikeywelsh wrote:

thxs

spikey

Yes, exactly the same dock connector and case design so x40 cradles will fit x50's and vice versa.

thank you for the quick replay

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: