Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO Celebrates Its 5th Birthday Today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO Celebrates Its 5th Birthday Today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO Celebrates Its 5th Birthday Today Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comHappy Birthday to TomTom's GO which celebrates its 5th Birthday Today.

The now classic TomTom GO design heralded the beginning of the dedicated portable turn by turn navigation device.

Indeed the term 'TomTom' is now used as a reference to satnav by many in much the same way as we use the term 'Hoover' when referring to vacuum cleaners.

Launched in 2004, the original GO developed a huge following. It's design was iconic and it ticked so many boxes from the start that later models have struggled to improve on the format.

The original GO had a SiRFStarII GPS chip set so was less sensitive that current devices but the interface would be instantly recognisable to anyone who has ever used a TomTom.

TomTom have enjoyed a rapid growth in the five years since the original GO was launched and whilst times may be a little harder at present, TomTom will no doubt be here reporting the GO's 10th birthday in five years time.

www.tomtom.com

Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the disposable society in which we live, it would be interesting to know how many of those old products are still being used.

Certainly my original Tom Tom Classic which I bought when they first came to market, is still working well and is used on an almost daily basis. I upgraded to a 700 when they became available and passed on my Classic to another family member.

Both have, and continue to provide faultless service and \I have no intention of upgrading until one fails.

There will always be a market for the latest products, because consumers love them, but gimmicks / styling / street cred apart, the original products get you from A-B very efficiently.

Congratulations Tom Tom!

Pinkpanther
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course by Classic, I meant the "Original GO"

Cheers,

Pinkpanther
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original 700 is still alive and kicking and doing sterling service with the in-laws. I did pass on a 910 but they preferred the 700.
skutter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: tomtom classics Reply with quote

I'm still using my tom tom one v1 (classic) Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every time I see Vera's son in law, my fingers itch for a baseball bat to steal back my 700. I tentatively tried to broach the subject of an exchange for my 720 or 920, but couldn't quite get through. Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delivery man who dropped a parcel off for a neighbour today had one...

In fact it's probably the model / series i see most often left in a van waiting for some sticky fingered chap to lift......
rbrtrophy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using my TT rider (albeit the 3rd one due to the other 2 having packed up! and having to go through purgatory to get them replaced )
and I would like to thank all of you folk out there who have written the software and improvements to Tomtom stuff, because if you hadn't tomtom, I have no doubt, would still be in the dark ages!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring TomToms current issues, it's worth congratulating them on the original design. Not only was the design iconic from the off but so was the software.

The interface is in its 5th major revision and still looks almost identical. No-one has bettered the UI and it is one of the reasons it has been so successful. It truly was a pick up and play interface with no manual required. That's no mean feat when the technology was so new.
laidlawbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using my faithful Go Classic purchased in November 2005. It has always been reliable and still works well although the battery doesn't last quite as long. I don't plan to replace it unless it packs up.

I wonder what the oldest GO Classic still in working order and being used is?
Vorix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Still using mine Reply with quote

4 years on and mine is doing sterling service - a couple of map upgrades have kept things current and I see no real reason to change.

A major plus for me is that the battery life is still huge - 5+ hours. My understanding is that the latest models only run for a couple of hours.

As far as the chipset is concerned, mine seems to get a lock pretty quickly - within 30 seconds or so. Certainly not worth paying £100+ to save a few seconds, IMHO.
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using my original "classic" too.
In fact it did a fantastic job yesterday putting me right outside the door.
Wonderful device, simple, hassle free, it works.
The UI is amazingly good, and as someone said here its yet to be bettered.

Very Happy Happy Birthday GO Very Happy
dchbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an original go but some light fingured person helped relieve me of it a couple of years ago (and a new drivers window too!)

I learnt the lesson about leaving it on the windscreen that day...
tomtomgoer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go Reply with quote

Yep, still using mine, and just returned from Germany where it took me door to door. I have also been down to the Cote D'Azur last September and again door to door. As per earlier posts, have upgraded the maps to keep it current and it has proved faultless thorughout the 5 years I have owned it. Absolutely no reason to change it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It truly was a pick up and play interface with no manual required.

I'll vouch for that as a totally committed non RTFM-er! I did ring TomTom after my first day out with my GO300 to ask how the hell to enter a postcode and the bemused person said "Tap the postcode icon?" Embarassed Embarassed

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: