Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OSM: Beginners Introduction to Mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OSM: Beginners Introduction to Mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: OSM: Beginners Introduction to Mapping Reply with quote

Here is a very quick 'get you started' intro to OSM editing:

First, visit OpenStreetMap and create an account:

Then upload a GPS Track of the area you want to add roads for:

Once uploaded they are parsed by OSM who will send you an email when they are ready for use. Locate your uploasded GPS Trace and select edit.

This will switch you to the Potlatch Map Editor, a Flash based web editor most suitable for beginners.

You should see your GPS traces overlaid on the master map data as shown below in light blue:

Here you can see a cul-de-sac that was unmapped. Click on the map at the point you want the new road to begin then move your mouse to the end and click again. If you want to describe a curve you click at each nodal point, for a straight line hit enter to finish. And you new road appears.

Once you are happy you need to name it:

Select the top line of the Road Type filed and categorise the road, here it is residential. Select the road by clicking on it, categorise it and then enter a name in the name field.

And now you have added your first road. A few hours later it will appear on the master maps. Hooked yet?
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Setting up Etrex Legend c for mapping Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the easy to follow guide to contributing data to openstreetmap. The maps are now producing amazing detail especially when combined with contours from the Scottish Mountaineering Club. I had originally been considering Topo GB but it just doesn't have the detail that openstreetmap can now offer. The only problems I have experienced have been in relation to some display problems in Mapsource, though these seem to disappear once the maps are loaded to my Etrex Legend. Please see my other posts for more detail:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=79614

Is there any specific way the Etrex should be set up to record tracks to maximise the value of the data and ease for uploading to openstreetmap?

Paul
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually a MUCH better mapping tool for the OSM than Potlatch (the basic editing tool you showed). It's called JOSM (Java Open Street Map editor), and can be found at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

It's MUCH more flexible, and has much more practicality, than Potlatch as well Smile The only downside? It looks like a rather complex CAD beast at first, but take it from me, it's dead easy to use Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
There's actually a MUCH better mapping tool for the OSM than Potlatch (the basic editing tool you showed). It's called JOSM (Java Open Street Map editor)

Thats what I have been using for a couple of years now, takes a while to get used to it but I agree it is a very good tool set for entering map data - Mike
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - I just spotted some of your edits ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: