Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Announces Sygic Mobile 2009 for iPhone 3G
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Announces Sygic Mobile 2009 for iPhone 3G
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Sygic Announces Sygic Mobile 2009 for iPhone 3G Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSygic have today announced the latest version of their navigation package, Sygic Mobile 2009 which will be launched at CeBIT 2009 next week.

Sygic Mobile 2009 adds support for Apple iPhone 3G and Sygic hope to be first to the market with a full turn-by-turn navigation solution for iPhone.

Sygic say in their press release "Sygic is entering the AppStore to be the first on the market that offers full turn-by-turn navigation for Apple users." so it is not yet clear if the application has been submitted and approved already but we are seeking clarification.

Sygic software is gathering a growing band of supporters and it would seem that the company are both proactive and receptive to suggestions from its user-base, a refreshing change these days. The application (available for a number of mobile phone operating systems) has traffic and on the iPhone is landscape/portrait compatible using the tilt sensor.

Suggested retail price is €79 for Europe and USD $79 for North America. We will be in attendance at CeBIT next week and will update this news item as more is revealed.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is brilliant news as I got my iPhone upgrade yesterday.

Well done Sygic. Thumbs Up

Lets hope Apple approve it soon, although I remember at least Tom Tom had a working app a short while ago and nothing has come of that yet as far as I'm aware, so I'm not holding my breath. Good to see it has traffic functionality as well.

It would be nice if the Euro / £ exchange rate went a bit more in our favour too Wink
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Apple have made a pretty big u-turn then this won't have any voice directions.

There is already turn-by-turn GPS software in the App Store and in the FAQ's on their website has this info:

"Currently, our application doesn't support turn by turn guidance including voice prompt. This is based on APPLE's strict strategy which prohibits any real time guidance. Once there’s any positive change in APPLE strategy, we'll support this function. Once there’s any positive change in APPLE strategy, we'll apply this function technically with no fail as well as free updates for this."

http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/tabid/2463/Default.aspx
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, xroad's G-Map is already available in the US app store...! no voice instructions though.

MaFt
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it seems the GPS in the iPhone isn't good enough for providing turn by directions, so I guess this solution will require some kind of external GPS to work properly? The integrated GPS really struggles to get a lock if the phone is in a car, and pretty much never gets a lock when used in an urban canyon environment such as a town or city centre. I've only managed to obtain a lock a few times since I got the phone and most of the time when I've really needed it (in a car or while lost in woodland) it didn't manage to get a lock and fell back to using the location of the nearest mobile phone mast as an estimate.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems the GPS in the iPhone isn't good enough for providing turn by directions, so I guess this solution will require some kind of external GPS to work properly?

My iPhone 3G gets a solid GPS lock in a car and using the in-built Maps app it can track my journey fine. Not real time turn-by-turn though.

The G-Map application mentioned above is visually real time turn-by-turn, it just doesn't have voice guidance due to the strict Apple policy.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, OK... maybe I've got a dodgy iPhone. I find getting a lock is very difficult, but if I turn on my ancient TomTom 910, it always just turns on and gets a lock in under a minute, or quicker if you've used it in the last few days.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your windscreen made of Athermic glass? this will attenuate the GPS signal so receivers of a lessor quality will struggle, the newer TomTom units (including the x10 series) operate quite well under this type of glass, but I know of others that don't work well at all - Mike
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's standard glass and I've had the problem in two different cars and on the train... Once it gets a lock it's usually OKish, but it's getting it to get a lock in the first place which is a nightmare. I think the internal antenna is simply inadequate because apparently the chipset itself is reasonable and works OK in other devices (it's not one I recognised).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's fine, no issues with sat lock on a 250 mile drive today but it is a little slow to acquire and I admit I've yet to test it in an urban canyon environment.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tested it using the "GPS Tracker" application on the iPhone and compared it to the track from my QStarz Q1000 GPS recorder and the iPhone log noticably strayed away from the carrigageway on several occasions. This error margin was sometimes large enough such that any turn-by-turn software would have thought that I was on the adjacent road or perhaps off-road. If I can find the logs, I'll post a screenshot.

I might do some more testing because perhaps they've improved it since the 2.0 firmware somehow. The Qstarz seems to very quickly obtain a rock solid lock, wherever it's placed in the car. It can even maintain a lock in the glovebox somehow! If the iPhone's GPS was that good, I'd quite happily spend a bit of money on turn-by-turn nav software for it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gps ('my location') stuff has been updated / changed in the 2.2 firmware to allow better access to the data for any apps... it could have made a difference?

MaFt
Martin-R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing much wrong with the GPS track on mine in the car; the issue is far more basic: pretty much only music, mail and phone can run in the background (without jailbreaking of course). All your installed apps won't; when you switch away from them, they exit and have to restart when you go 'back' to them. It's a real pain compared with say a Windows Mobile device, and my biggest gripe with the iPhone (no cut and paste support being #2!)

Try using the geocaching.com app and you'll see what I mean: wait 30 seconds for it to load up, select a cache to aim for, switch to gmaps to get close, go back to the app to get the hint, wait 30 seconds for it to load up again etc. Now imagine what happens with a navigation app if a phone call comes in just as you reach a crucial junction...
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a real shame to read about the poor GPS in the iPhone.

I am still using a Palm T3(with TomTOM), BT GPS MkII and 6310i

I seem to be stuck in time until somebody comes out with a good system.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty already. Windows Mobile Smartphone with Sygic or a Nokia with the same?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: