Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Censored words in posts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Censored words in posts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomtom520
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Censored words in posts Reply with quote

Admin Edit: OT Discussion hived off from original thread here.
Andy_P wrote:
Tomtom520 wrote:
I was in my local Halfords today, and it clearly stated on the bottom line of the display information that it comes with a "bluetooth remote"

I couldn't see any boxes to see what they said.

Tomtom still don't know their arse(?) from their elbow

As said above, this is down to Halfords, not TomTom. TT have never put a remote in the box AFAIK.

Strange how my word got censored, but when you quote me it doesn't. Even stranger is the fact its not the word I put !!!

I used A_S_S
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud!!

I did *try* to quote you directly... But when the powers that be put that stupid censorship thing in, they didn't realise it uses symbols that are not allowed in normal posts (the arrowheads above the comma and fullstop on a keyboard).
So when I tried to post my reply with your quote in it, the whole thing bounced back at me.
Rather than try to edit stuff of yours, I thought that if I got rid of all the code for the "censored" sign and put your word back, then it would just get replaced with the symbol again and no-one would ever know.

I was surprised as anyone when it didn't get removed, and was wondering what OTHER word you could have used in that sentence! Laughing
Tomtom520
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad enough when we find faults with our Tomtom's

But now we have found a fault with a site that we all believed was perfect.

It's the end of the world as we know it !!!! ( Isn't that a song ? ) Surprised

Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Should I do backup to a clay tablet before my PC dissolves in front of me?

Incidentally, what do those * mean? I keep seeing them and all they are are mis-hits for ". And the @ sign? People type @Dennis, you're a *real* plonker and I'm confused.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So "a_s_s" (without the underscores) is censored but "ar*e" is not? Quite ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

Edited once to self censor 19/1/09

Last edited by pcaouolte on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The censor comes with a default set of blocked words to which we can add as necessary. Now back on topic please!
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ass
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONKEYS!
This nanny-state censor seems to be set to "protect a Victorian spinster from having an attack of the vapours" mode.

Come on, PGPSW, we're all adults here. We KNOW what the 'bad' words are and a lot of the ones that get censored are NOT those ones.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not about to enter into a debate on this but of the 20 words that are censored very few are borderline, the one being discussed here may arguably be over sensitive and as such I have removed it from the censor list but the rest are staying.

If you can't find a way to discuss SatNav without using such words then this is not the forum for you.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Darren on this, except I would NOT have removed arse from the list, so it'd get the censored bleep from me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Come on, PGPSW, we're all adults here.

That's just the point - we're not. PGPSW prides itself on running a family site. I'm sure there are quite a few parents who get their children to sort out their satnav problems.

I agree with Darren too. There's absolutely no need to use bad language for discussing satnavs - or anything else for that matter.
Samsung Galaxy S21
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in favour of the auto censor, I use this site when my children are present and do not want to have to be concerned about what they might read here.
I think that the longer of the two words being discussed is more offensive than the shorter version. The point I was trying to make earlier was that the shorter, less offensive version was being censored whilst the longer, more offensive version was allowed through.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
The point I was trying to make earlier was that the shorter, less offensive version was being censored whilst the longer, more offensive version was allowed through.

Indeed. That's simply a symptom of the default word list where the shorter word is already blocked being I guess based on American sensibilities and the latter is not.

It's not a word that has triggered comment before. Most of the words we have added were following a complaint.

At the end of the day what might offend one person may not offend another but the aim is to make the site comfortable for everyone, swearing foul language can never be justified on a site such as this.

I'm ex-Army and Police so have a far higher threshold for what is permissible than others. I occasionally swear in conversation as its a habit that is hard to escapebut even I don't see any need to use it in the written word!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
Incidentally, what do those * mean? I keep seeing them and all they are are mis-hits for ". And the @ sign? People type @Dennis, you're a *real* plonker and I'm confused.

The *s in the example you give, I reckon anyway, are to make something stand out or to make out that you are being shouted at.

The *s are also to make a rude word less rude, they used to do it in newspapers, now I reckon they just print the word!!!!

The @ sign is "at" like in your email address you@domain.co.uk

So someones saying

At Dennis, you're a REAL plonker

with real being shouted, that is what it means to me anyway. Although I just looked at another sight and it said that * = kiss!!!

There must be a definition list somewhere out there
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asterisks (as in: *'strewth* Dennis) are used to highlight or emphasise a word in places where underlining, bold text etc. are not available.

Even in places such as this forum where you *can* use underlining, it's often quicker to use a couple of **'s.
To to the connoisseur, I reckon they give a slightly different emphasis, so both have their place. Wink

As for the censor list, I'll admit I'm surprised at the prudishness of some in here over pretty innocuous Anglo-Saxon words (or probably a Germanic one in this case) - far milder than those you will find in any "family" newspaper, but the vocal majority seem in favour, so I'll shut up about it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: