Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Pleasant Experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Pleasant Experience
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: A Pleasant Experience Reply with quote

Took the SatMap out to search for a geocache today,its first outing “in the wild” so to speak and I was very impressed.I wasn't anywhere where I was in any danger of getting lost but the confidence of a rolling 1:25000 OS map and an icon saying “You Are Here” stuck in front of your nose was very comforting,and it will be even more so when we get up places like Kinder for instance.What a difference to be able to look at a REAL OS map instead of the music hall joke that is Garmin Topo ( units very good,mapping very poor ).

As in all electronics there were one or two things which I thought could be improved on but these are only niggles in an altogether pleasant experience.

I think that the geocaching side of the SatMap could be developed a bit more ( probably lead to a few more sales ).As far as I can see ( and according to the Quick Start Guide ) it is only possible to enter one cache at a time ( without the ability to name it), locate the cache,enter another one,find that and so on.It would be advantageous to be able to load say a dozen caches,name or number them all and store them in the unit and work through them during the day ( if I am wrong about this I am sure someone will let me know ).I know various work rounds have been proposed which require external software and a bit of a faff,but it would be nice to be able to do it in the unit.I suppose the day of downloading the .map file directly from Geocaching.com are in the far distance but we can live in hope

Geocaching aside there were another couple of things.The “GoTo” arrow,whilst working perfectly,looks a little out of place on a quality unit.It reminded me of something from a childs toy.It would be better if it was a bit longer and was superimposed over the compass so you could see your direction in relation to the cardinal points at a glance.I used the map in Track Up mode and was impressed with the ease of following a path.However if you then use the joystick to pan around the adjacent countryside,to see where a path leads for instance,it immediately goes into North Up mode on the Planning screen which can be a little disorientating.Another suggestion would be the ability to enter your name,phone number(s) on the Welcome Screen so if you lost or mislaid the unit there would at least be a chance of having it returned ( I have e-mailed SatMap about this one ).

As I say these are only niggles.I had no lock ups or freezing and the Li-Pol battery remained at four blocks for the couple of hours or so I was out.Satellite acquisition was good and remained rock solid all the time.

Yes the maps are a bit on the dear side but this is what I have been looking for for a good while.I am happy to pay it.

In reply to one of my previous posts Mike,I think it was,said that SatMap read this forum.Seeing as their own forum has not appeared it would be nice to have a bit of feedback from them.So if you are reading this chaps ( including female chaps ) come on tell us we are talking out of our behinds and lets get a dialogue going.

Ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pleasant Experience Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
I think that the geocaching side of the SatMap could be developed a bit more ( probably lead to a few more sales ).As far as I can see ( and according to the Quick Start Guide ) it is only possible to enter one cache at a time ( without the ability to name it),

Isn't the cache location just a position? What prevents you from saving it as a waypoint?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the POI Option is fully utilised on the device this should help, I have seen very little about the POI part of the device for quite some time but it was mentioned about containing additional text / pictures etc. This would be ideal for the Geo-Hunter - Mike
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info. Satmap have stated when I've spoken to them on numerous occasions, that they have taken an 'executive decision' not to post on forums per se - not to say that they don't read them, because they are very aware...presumably if they get ever their own forum up and running we may get a decent dialogue going!

Also, the next software release (to deal with lock ups due to larger SD cards etc.) is apparently a 'tried and tested product' and ready for release last week....

You know it's nice to get their mailshots with offers of discounted maps etc. but it would be better to get an info. newsletter with details of what they're working on etc. etc. I always reply in that fashion but to no avail...!

It's a great unit though, wonder why the OS are so long in releasing the license so we can use the on-line planner..

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading back through older posts and various comments regarding the SatMap one thing seems to stand out and that is the promise of things being released and then they aren't,for weeks and weeks with no explanation of why not and where SatMap are up to with it.

The on-line mapping is a case in point.It was supposed to be released in November ( and has been talked about for months ) ,has been advertised in magazines as being availabe but is nowhwere to be seen.We are led to believe that they are waiting for the OS to sign it off.Would it hurt to post some updates on the SatMap site or,as Ian suggests,have a general newsletter.

SatMap are not alone in this,a lack of simple communication and keeping the customers informed seems endemic in workmen and companies from the sole trader up to multi national corporations.A lot of unhappy customers could be avoided if businesses just talked to their clients.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling us that the online mapping is ready and waiting for signing off is one thing....saying it is available in magazine ads that I've seen is false advertising.
eranou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: A Pleasant Experience Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:

I think that the geocaching side of the SatMap could be developed a bit more ( probably lead to a few more sales ).As far as I can see ( and according to the Quick Start Guide ) it is only possible to enter one cache at a time ( without the ability to name it), locate the cache,enter another one,find that and so on.It would be advantageous to be able to load say a dozen caches,name or number them all and store them in the unit and work through them during the day ( if I am wrong about this I am sure someone will let me know ).I know various work rounds have been proposed which require external software and a bit of a faff,but it would be nice to be able to do it in the unit.I suppose the day of downloading the .map file directly from Geocaching.com are in the far distance but we can live in hope

Hi Bosun

If you download a GPX file from Geocaching.com, assuming that youare a premium member, then this can be loaded via the SatSync software into the unit. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of caches but I loaded 25 the other night without any problems. I have also seen somewhere that is you use GSAK to create the GPX file that the resulting information available for each cache displayed on the unit is greater.

Hope that made sense! Smile
Richard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This Thread for some ideas and links that might be of use - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eranou,

Yes I tried using the GPX files from Geocaching.com but it kept saying that it wasn't a valid GPX file.Seeing that you have successfully done it then things must have changed,I will give it a go this evening and that should sort the problem out.

Not interested in the GSAK bit, if it does as you have described I will be happy.

Ian
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Satmap news Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it hurt to post some updates on the SatMap site or,as Ian suggests,have a general newsletter.

Well, considering that the latest 'news' on the Satmap site for months now has been the release of V1.16 (the demo note excepted) it does appear as if Satmap are just not that bothered about keeping their customers up-to-date. Considering the price of the product and the even greater price of maps, I would have thought it wouldn't be asking too much for someone to spend ten minutes or so updating their website occasionally.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanHibbert wrote:
Just for info. Satmap have stated when I've spoken to them on numerous occasions, that they have taken an 'executive decision' not to post on forums per se - not to say that they don't read them, ......

Also, the next software release (to deal with lock ups due to larger SD cards etc.) is apparently a 'tried and tested product' and ready for release last week....

You know it's nice to get their mailshots with offers of discounted maps etc. but it would be better to get an info. newsletter with details of what they're working on etc. etc. ....

I agree it would be nice to be kept informed, but if they did wouldn't we use it as another stick to beat them with?

More useful would be that they had a little more trust in their user base and were prepared to release software as true beta with no warranty attached. This is no more than is being done by Microsoft and IE8 and that has been riddled with faults. Hopefully, we are past the stage of life threatening errors and real user feedback might help get them out of this cycle of chasing their tail.

The facility for feedback is already on their site. Instead of selected beta testers allow anyone to register on the understanding that errors are present and the software must not be used in safety critical situations.

Bugs happen, no one has written bug free software. Have a fault report page that lists ongoing issues. This would at least give users some feedback and allow them to see if a problem had already been reported and that would help reduce the workload at Satmap handling telephone calls.
I know, I've called them twice only to be told the issue is in hand.

We need Satmap, we would be up the creek if they went bust, but obviously Satmap need us, all we need do is find common ground.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Bosun

If you download a GPX file from Geocaching.com, assuming that youare a premium member, then this can be loaded via the SatSync software into the unit. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of caches but I loaded 25 the other night without any problems. I have also seen somewhere that is you use GSAK to create the GPX file that the resulting information available for each cache displayed on the unit is greater.

Hope that made sense!
Richard

Richard,

Something strange here.I tried downloading the GPX files from Geocaching.com as I did previously and low and behold it worked,straight into the SatMap as POI's ,no problem.I then tried to do a couple more and got the "Not a Valid GPX File" again.Then tried another and that worked.

I wonder why it works with some cache downloads and not with others ?

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.........................

The mystery deepens.It seems to only like downloading the gpx files that have multiple waypoints in them as in the puzzle caches.

Any "ordinary" solo caches it refuses to download.

Anyone any ideas ?

Ian
eranou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

That does seem strange. The GPX file that I downloaded had a mixture of both, and worked without any problems. The download does generate two files though, and I used the larger of the two.

I'll have to try again and see if I encounter the same problems.

Are you using the latest firmware?

Richard
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I don't get two files when I download from Geocaching.com,just the one with the cache number followed by "gpx".

I don't follow the file with a "mixture of both" bit.

Do you just go to the particular cache page,click on the "GPX eXchange file" button and download to the desktop or wherever you want it and import into SatSync from there ?

I think we may be getting at cross purposes here,you are getting it right and I am getting it wrong.

Sad

I am using the latest firmware.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: