Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman announce the Spirit S100 satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman announce the Spirit S100 satnav
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Navman announce the Spirit S100 satnav Reply with quote

Yesterday we were invited to London for a preview of the latest Satnav to be announced by Navman. Today Navman announce the Spirit S100 PND sporting a new Aluminium case and a flat screen with no bevel. The new S100 is probably the thinnest Satnav measuring just 13.5mm thick.

If aluminium styling and flat bevel-less screens remind you of a certain iXxx product range then you would not be too surprised to hear about the new "Glide Touch" user interface. With a redesigned user interface Navman have done away with the hardware buttons to control the satnav and have now implemented a full touch screen interface.

The icons are colour coded and there are 3 different methods to find your destination: Go; Find; and Explore. There are pop-up menus and display items, with a dockable information panel.

The map display itself is now presented using "ClearView" maps, reducing the information on the screen and clearly highlighting your route. Also introduced are 3D-Landmarks in the cities and 3D Junction views with "real" signpost information.

Also introduced with the Navman S100 is a true pedestrian mode. This uses Tele Atlas City-Maps and provides routing on footpaths and underpasses whilst avoiding dangerous intersections.

The Navman S100 should start appearing in the stores in November with a price tag of £199.

Click here for our news article. There are a few screenshots below followed by the full Navman press release.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice, and the map view does look nice and clear, BUT: can they handle more than 10,000 POIs?!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That map view shown above looks like early Destinator.

Navman on left, Destinator on right. Separated at birth?

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why just one device?
I thought Tesco was offering two new devices. Is the S300 to be launched later? Good mapping it seems with Teleatlas Oct 2008 maps. Don't like the optional TMC as it seems more modern to offer it built in. The option means losing the neatness of the new model. Probably enables a lower price. No details of included mapping apart from a brief comment about regional maps included. Assume that means only UK for the UK.
So far have just glanced at the specs so need to read and digest......
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Navman Sales if extra mapping was available for the S100 - this is their reply.
"The maps will be available in a form of activation code key when the new device is released in the market, and available from our online navmanstores"

So extra price for European mapping. Sad
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
looks nice, and the map view does look nice and clear, BUT: can they handle more than 10,000 POIs?!

That question is becoming irrelevant since speed camera databases in UK will soon serve no purpose, see here and here.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
MaFt wrote:

That question is becoming irrelevant since speed camera databases in UK will soon serve no purpose, see here and here.

Yes, saw that in Friday's Times. Crying or Very sad Anyone got a speed limiter for sale - preferably set to 25mph
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well perhaps inside the Controlled Zones but the local authorities decide if they use it their area, or not. So, until it covers every single road in the UK i think there is still a purpose.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
the local authorities decide if they use it their area, or not.

According to the article, these new automatic revenue collectors are both very efficient and much cheaper then previous solutions. How many local authorities do you think will pass up the opportunity to get some, and then some more?

PaulB2005 wrote:
So, until it covers every single road in the UK i think there is still a purpose.

True. How long do you think it will take? My guess is that these will be put up as fast as factory can make them.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a new function for sat nav. Just before you pass an exit camera it can tell you to stop until its a safe time to pass it.

Sat nav can monitor time & distance from each entry and exit camera, As long as you don't pass the exit camera before a certain time you can't have been speeding. In between go as fast as you like.

Also what will it do to cut the death toll of mortorcyclists who make up 20% of deaths. They have no front number plates so cannot be seen by SPECs.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
I see a new function for sat nav. Just before you pass an exit camera it can tell you to stop until its a safe time to pass it.

Sat nav can monitor time & distance from each entry and exit camera, As long as you don't pass the exit camera before a certain time you can't have been speeding. In between go as fast as you like.

Also what will it do to cut the death toll of mortorcyclists who make up 20% of deaths. They have no front number plates so cannot be seen by SPECs.

Welcome to the Forum.

Good theory, but I think you miss the point. Safety Cameras are there to catch those breaking the law and to reduce the carnage on our roads. "The UK has one of the best road safety records in the world. Safety cameras play an important role in helping to keep the country's road network safe.
The statistics.................
On average, nine people are killed and 85 injured each day on the UK's roads. Without safety cameras to reduce speeding and make the roads safer, around 100 more people would be killed each year."
So, your theory would result in a higher death rate.
Since I have been using Sat Navs and having camera POIs installed, I have attempted to keep within posted speed limits, not drive up to a camera, then after I am out of range, speed up again. I'm not a goody-goody, but I have come to realise that I get to my destination quickly, in relative safety, and (up to now) in one piece.....and less stressed.
And as regards to Motorcyclists, Grrrr
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
MaFt wrote:

i seriously doubt every council will remove every single speed camera throughout the whole of the uk...

also, these new average speed cams will be very complex to set up - they may be cheap to buy, but to monitor it all would be a logistical nightmare except, for example, on motorways.

the main road from my house to the center of bradford is about 7 miles long and currently has 4 fixed cameras and 7 regularly used mobile sites. it also has 119 roads leading off of it (yes, i counted them) as well as numerous 'parking' areas by shops. i really can't see bradford MDC purchasing and installing that many cameras and the computing power to keep track of it all!! and that's just one road...!!

now, the m606 is an entirely different matter - there are 2 turn-offs in each direction - that would be much more feasible, but not 'regular' roads...

so the speed camera database has life in it yet.

MaFt
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that unless these cameras are very close together they will be easily defeated by technology and motorcyclists.

The technology could be as simple as a stop watch
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
My point was that unless these cameras are very close together they will be easily defeated by technology and motorcyclists.

The technology could be as simple as a stop watch

You are right. Perhaps they will do just that - a little man at each junction and each corner with a stop watch & a mobile phone. Might be cheaper than all this technology. There's still life for PGPSW, or a job for Darren then. Cool
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys, we've wandered off topic (and yes, i was part of it!) - lets keep this thread for discussion of the new navman and continue the specs talk in the relevent thread

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: