Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waypoint moving over map when scrolling...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waypoint moving over map when scrolling...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaBalder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Waypoint moving over map when scrolling... Reply with quote

Hi...

I have a Norwegian map to my Satmap Active 10 and are using firmware 1.200 on my device.

My experience is that the waypoints move around on the background when the map scrolls.

* I place a waypoint (route) at an intersection between two roads while the cursor is more or less in the midle of the screen.

* If I then scroll so that the waypoint is in the upper left corner of the screen, then my waypoint has moved on the map. Often so much it is not on the road anymore.

* Then if I scroll so the waypoint is in the lower right corner, then its also off the road. Now in the oposite direction.

I am wondering if this is a failure with the Norwegian maps or with the firmware.

If anybody could try this Rolling Eyes with a UK map (or anything else than the Norwegian ones) I would be very happy.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Norway ? Reply with quote

Can I ask...first we have Holland, and now Norwegian maps available...where did you purchase Norway from, and what other maps are available that we don't know about ??
RaBalder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several norwegian shops have the device and maps...

I will however not do advertising Confused for any of them. So if you want a few URLs, then I put them as a private message.

Wink
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Waypoint moving over map when scrolling... Reply with quote

RaBalder wrote:
Hi...

I have a Norwegian map to my Satmap Active 10 and are using firmware 1.200 on my device.

My experience is that the waypoints move around on the background when the map scrolls.

* I place a waypoint (route) at an intersection between two roads while the cursor is more or less in the midle of the screen.

* If I then scroll so that the waypoint is in the upper left corner of the screen, then my waypoint has moved on the map. Often so much it is not on the road anymore.

* Then if I scroll so the waypoint is in the lower right corner, then its also off the road. Now in the oposite direction.

I am wondering if this is a failure with the Norwegian maps or with the firmware.

If anybody could try this Rolling Eyes with a UK map (or anything else than the Norwegian ones) I would be very happy.

I've just tried to replicate your problem using my A10 with firmware 1.200 and the OSGB 1:50 000 South map. When I place a route waypoint at a road intersection then scroll so the the waypoint moves to the 4 extreme corners of the screen, the position of the waypoint relative to the map does not change.
The only thing that I can do which does appear to alter the position of the waypoint slightly is to zoom in or out after I have placed the waypoint: I placed the waypoint as best as I could centrally on the road intersection whilst viewing the map at a zoom scale of approx. 1:35 000, then when I zoom in to approx. 1:18 000 (without panning the map in any direction) the point no longer appears centred on the intersection, rather it is slightly off-centre (but still within the lines bounding the edges of the road). I'm sure that this phenomenon is purely down to the limitations of the screen resolution, rather than the waypoint actually drifting across the map.
Perhaps there is a problem with the Norwegian maps? Does your A10 come with a vector base map of Norway installed? If so, have you tried to repeat your experiment using that base map instead of the raster map on the mapcard? (To do this, remove the SD map card from your A10)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by lucevans on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
RaBalder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you...

I did suspect it was the map.

The norwegian detailed maps looks like a bitmap (no vector) which is being scaled to fit the zoom.

The basemap (no SD-card) is a bitmap as well. I haven't done the test with the base-map.

lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaBalder wrote:
Thank you...

I did suspect it was the map.

The norwegian detailed maps looks like a bitmap (no vector) which is being scaled to fit the zoom.

The basemap (no SD-card) is a bitmap as well. I haven't done the test with the base-map.

No problem.

The Norwegian units must be different to the UK ones.

With no mapcard in my A10, it displays a vector roadmap of the UK at zoom scales of between 1:1000 and 1:140 000.
It then switches to a bitmap map of the UK when I zoom out beyond 1:140 000, and switches again to a plain outline of the UK on a blue-grey background if I zoom-out beyond 1:14 000 000 (not sure whether that one's vector or bitmap)
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaBalder wrote:

...The norwegian detailed maps looks like a bitmap (no vector) which is being scaled to fit the zoom...

All being equal, and due allowance having been made, using a bitmap need not be appreciably less accurate than the vector map. Are these maps designed for precise location information or just a general guide? e.g. The difference between a British road atlas and the 1:25000 series. You will also notice differences on OS maps between the 1:50000 and 1:25000 in footpath position, presumably caused by scaling restrictions.
I've noticed that if you zoom out and in when in planning mode the 'crosshairs' do change position on the map. This is not a problem as the grid ref. shown remains tied to the 'crosshairs' and there is no error between them.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach said
Quote:
You will also notice differences on OS maps between the 1:50000 and 1:25000 in footpath position, presumably caused by scaling restrictions.

I suspect that it is more than scaling restrictions. In a case near me the 1:50,000 map show the path up one side of a stream the 1:25,000 on the other (correct side). I am always very cautious of relying on the 1:50,000 as being "correct" (and I am aware that even the 1:25,000 is not the "definitive" map when it comes to footpaths!).
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: