Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Acquiring satellite time
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Acquiring satellite time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Acquiring satellite time Reply with quote

I know this is one of the major concerns regarding the A10. I have had my unit for a few weeks now, and have not been to concerned about the time to acquire satellite lock....until now.

In open countryside, on a sunny and clear day, with the unit fully charged, and positioned horizontally, I tested the lock time 4 times in a row - powering off between each try.

A10 generally finds between 4 and 6 satellites within 60-90 seconds (Av SNR around 35, max SNR around 40) but takes a good few minues more to find further sats and then lock on.

4 trials yielded the following times (from power on, to sat lock): 3m30s, 6m40s, 5m10s and 5m22s.

3 minutes is just about acceptable, any longer is a pain.

I use my A10 for geocaching, and quite often want to use it at short notice, several times a day...so the initial lock time is important to me. Also, I am experiencing quite a few freezes recently, and therefore finding myself having to reset and then wait again for a satellite lock.

Anyway, I can just about cope with the times above.....however....what I find more unacceptable is that if I start walking with my A10 (held in hand, pointing upwards) it takes forever to get a lock (10 mins and over)

Is it unreasonable to expect the unit to lock to satellites on the move in under 10 minutes? (on a clear day, open countryside, some trees occassionally)

I really like this gadget....but I am beginning to get concerned about the initial lock time...especially when on the move.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the device switched on with the screen off, this way you will have a position as soon as you power up the backlight. As for walking off prior to a position fix, this is not advisable, any GPS device "time to position fix" will be extended if moving. even walking.
I find putting the a10 on the car roof while changing into walking gear is more than long enough for the device to acquire a position fix, then it stays powered up but with the screen off for the entire day, I don't have any problems using it this way - Mike
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Leave the device switched on with the screen off, this way you will have a position as soon as you power up the backlight. As for walking off prior to a position fix, this is not advisable, any GPS device "time to position fix" will be extended if moving. even walking.
I find putting the a10 on the car roof while changing into walking gear is more than long enough for the device to acquire a position fix, then it stays powered up but with the screen off for the entire day, I don't have any problems using it this way - Mike

Thanks for the reply. When the unit behaves, and doesn't require resets, I would agree with the above - but if/when it freezes and requires a reset...the long time to acquire a fix (together with having to preferably stay stationary for ~5 mins) becomes a major issue.

I think that had I not experienced freezes this weekend, I wouldn't be complaining too much about the lock time.

The freezing issues I have experienced are a topic for another thread. If I can avoid the freezes, then I think I will be generally happy with the lock time.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you upgraded to 1.20.?

I've not seen anyone specifically report lock-ups on the v1.20 thread.
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Have you upgraded to 1.20.?

I've not seen anyone specifically report lock-ups on the v1.20 thread.

Yes, running V1.20

These are the first freezing issues I have experienced since getting the unit a few weeks back. I think they coincide with me starting to upload multiple POIs to the unit. Not sure. I can't consistently replicate the issue (annoyingly!)

Don't want to go off topic....so may post further details re the freezing in a more relevant topic...but in a nutshell, the unit freezes on switching to the 'pointer' on the compass page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: