Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap crash hang freeze on startup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap crash hang freeze on startup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyh2o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Satmap crash hang freeze on startup Reply with quote

I've been using my Satmap for a while now with no problems.
I have the Li-Pol battery pack, which has given good usability for me thus far.

I had just imported some routes to the Satmap using the Satsync software. The routes showed ok on the screen. About 30 seconds after that I inadvertently switched off the Satmap before shutting down from the Satsync software, small curse from me at this point.

Now the Satmap hangs on startup at the acquiring GPS screen, sometimes before that. I have to disconnect the Li-Pol battery each time to power off.

I'm surprised that this has occurred as I would expect the firmware/boot code to be untouched, certainly not written to, during any USB operation. It doesn't seem like a robust response from a consumer item!

The battery had plenty of charge before the incident, 3 bars showing. I've left the battery out for 30 minutes and tried again, same response.

Has anyone experienced this or similar?

Regards,
Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect the device to the PC can you see it using the SatSync application? if so try removing the route you recently added, I have seen a route lock my unit up on one occasion when I installed the London Marathon to the device, others reported the same problem, removal of the route cured the problem.

The only other known issue is when you play around with the info boxes and select Present position, this will cause a total lock up and requires the firmware to be updated, to be fair to SatMap this fault only affected a single release of firmware that was around in late March earlier this year, the fault was soon realised and new code fixed the issue - Mike
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced very similar behaviour once when out on a walk but I realised it was because I was under power lines. Moving to a clear location fixed the problem

Are you in a very RF-noisy environment I wonder?

Peter
andyh2o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you connect the device to the PC can you see it using the SatSync application?

Satsync cannot see it at all with the battery in and returns an error message.

I tried it with the battery removed, just by plugging the Satmap in, I'd tried this earlier and the unit still appeared to crash, but this time I could see the routes in Satsync. I deleted them and it now starts correctly.

Thanks for tip Mike.

Regards,

Andy
andyh2o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpeej wrote:

Are you in a very RF-noisy environment I wonder?

Peter

No, it would appear to have been a corrupt route.

Regards,

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably contained too many points, I try to only use around 10 to 15 waypoints for each 10 miles of a walk, often people use hundreds which can clutter the screen and cause issues with some hardware platforms.
If you can e-mail me the rouge route I will have a look at it (use the e-mail button under my post as this is active) - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the route initially sent to the SD card or the internal memory?

If it's one the card you could just remove it using a card reader.
andyh2o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I'd deleted the routes I re-added them and the Satmap started ok.

Only 1 of the 2 routes I had added was then visible after a power-cycle. Checking from Satsync the imported route that didn't show up had been 30kb before import and 1kb after import.

I opened the suspect route in notepad and it had some user/route comments at the start, before the route data proper - I had downloaded the routes from the bikeradar.com so they weren't created by me. I edited the comments out with Notepad and tried again. The route then showed up in Satmap. The comments were after "xsi:schemaLocation" and up to the "trk" tag.

On each occasion the routes were loaded to internal memory/NVRAM, not the map card.

I don't think the original problem was caused by the slightly different format of one of the routes as when I re-imported them after I had deleted them from USB power the Satmap didn't hang. I didn't change the number of waypoints.

I think the original problem was caused by me switching it off. The only other thing I changed between failure and it working again was that the filenames were at least 30 characters long and I have shortened them. As the OS is Windows CE based I wouldn't expect the filenames to cause a problem unless they were at least over 255 characters (not sure what the CE limit is).

Went for a bike ride and got lost! I've had the Satmap about 6 months now and there's a great tendency to rely on it after a while.

Thanks for your comments Mike and robs1972.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: