Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ 314 and speedcams database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ 314 and speedcams database
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: iPAQ 314 and speedcams database Reply with quote

'
I have just done some initial road tests on a new iPAQ 314 with the PGPSW speedcams database installed, and thought I should post some findings.

The iPAQ uses a tailored version of iGO2008, and seems to have similar characteristics to the iGO versions called Miomap found in Mitac/Mio units. They don't seem to have learned from the drawbacks with Miomap, as I found from driving the iPAQ today:

1. It does not recognise any speed limit less than 30 mph, so 20 mph cameras are shown as 'no limit'.

2. It does not recognise any speed limits at all for mobile cameras and treats them as 0 mph, so you get an alarm at every mobile camera location regardless of your speed.

3. Unlike Miomap there does not seem to be a choice of 'simple' or 'on approach' alarm setting - you always get a set of beeps approaching every camera even if you are below the limit.

The above problems to my mind spoil what is in other respects a very good unit with a superb 800 x 480 screen.

I haven't used the 'real' iGO sold under its own name so I don't know whether that behaves in the same ways. I would be interested in comments from anyone with experience of speedcams on iGO or the iPAQ 314.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: No cameras at all! Reply with quote

Hi Sal,
You are one up on me. I drove from Gosport to Portmouth - past at least three cameras - then all over the Isle of Wight and not a single speed camera came up with the Pocketgpsworld ones on there.
Something is badly wrong somewhere. I am about to take these off and put the original ones back until I can sort out the problem.
Question - do the PGW ones only come up if you are speeding? The TomTom ones on my 720T were there whatever the speed.
Thanks
Doug
firebirdhasrisen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Camera warning sounds Reply with quote

I agree about the beeps etc. Got my unit yesterday and intalled cameras via HP site.

Found the beeps for fixed cameras seem to increase in frequency as you
get closer, which I felt perfectly acceptable.

For red light and others you get that very annoying twittering fast beep.

As Sal says, this is regardless of your speed, and sometimes continued when I was stationary at the lights. Ending up swearing at unit and threatened to throw it through screen...really calms you as you drive.

VERY disappointing, we need some clued up guy to suss out the audio files
and amend them. I would not expect voice prompts, the same beep as fixed cameras would do for now. Going to look in system tonight.

Off topic - Got TCPMP to work thru games menu, Excellent (8 gig card ), full AVI`s struggle a bit, Mp4`s OK.

Andrew
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firebird,
If you want to edit the alarms, that's quite easy.
The overspeed sound is !alarm5.wav. I have replaced it with a copy of !nav_ding.wav to give a less annoying tone.
The beep on approach uses !sectionbeepB.wav. I have removed the approach tone altogether by renaming it to !sectionbeepB.www. This will obviously affect section alarms as well but I haven't yet had the opportunity to check what the result is.

HP's camera database is pretty awful. I didn't find any cameras with direction shown, and several local cams were missing altogether. The PGPSW database is the one you need.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to, Sal, but they don't show up, as discussed before. Going to retry the built in ones again which has to be better than nothing.
Sal, can you just list the files you have in the speedcam folder on the unit? At least I can compare them with mine then which might be a start.
Thanks
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just clear out the \speedcams folder, copy into it the .txt file(s) depending whether you are using the single or consolidated download.
Then disconnect your PC and press the rest button. Simple as that.
I used the consolidated files, all except the p_mobiles. It created a file speedcam.spdb of 151k.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal, I am going mad!
Are you using the IGo download? There is 1K in that speedcam.spdb file. And all the 12 PGW files are still there and the Speedcamupdates.spud of 0K. And that is using the consolidated download.
What am I doing wrong? I have put all those files in there including the image files. I also did the single file download and that produced the same results. Nothing in that spdb file. I deleted it and it was recreated but still had only had 1K in it.
I am about to give up in frustration.
Doug
PS. I have put the original files back in the same folder as well now. The spud file with that is 504Kb, not the 1K of the old one.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Speedcamupdates.spud file is only used for updates that you enter manually on the iPAQ, so you can ignore it.
The main speedcams file is speedcam.spdb

Are you sure you emptied the folder first, and did the reset afterwards?

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Yes, nothing in there. I put all the text files and the image files. It recreated the speedcamupdate.spud file with 1K in it.
I put the original files in there i.e. the poi_warner dat and spe ones and deleted the speedcamupdate.spuf file. it recreated that file and it is 504Kb.
I will empty that folder one more time and try again. Did you let it update first then reset or reset straight away?
Doug
Update: still a file with only 1Kb in it. Going to put the old ones back for now and try again tomorrow.
Thanks
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:

I put the original files in there i.e. the poi_warner dat and spe ones

There do those come from ? You don't need poi_warner.

The ONLY files you need to put in the \speedcam folder are the .txt files directly from the downloaded .zip

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
That's what I was doing. I put only the txt and the image files from the download. When I disconnected and reset, it recreated the other two files but the spud one was only 1K.
I then cleared out all the PGPSW files, put back in the ones from the Speedcamupdate site (the ones that came with it) and on rebooting, it recreated the same two files and the spud one was 540Kb. Which is not happening with the PGPSW files. Have no idea why.
Have to keep trying until it surrenders!
Used the inbuilt ones this morning and my friendly speed camera up the road then showed on the map.
Really clueless on this now.
Let you know how I get on Sal.
Thanks
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's what I was doing. I put only the txt and the image files from the download.

You only need the .txt files. The bitmaps are fixed within the iPAQ.

Quote:

When I disconnected and reset, it recreated the other two files but the spud one was only 1K

As I said before, the .spud file is only for manual updates on the screen and will be zero when you start. The clue is in the filename.

Quote:

I then cleared out all the PGPSW files, put back in the ones from the Speedcamupdate site (the ones that came with it) and on rebooting, it recreated the same two files and the spud one was 540Kb.

No it should be the speedcam.spdb file that is 540kB. The .spud should be zero

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant the spdb file was 1K. Forget the spud file, that's zero. Will try again with the txt files only.
Let you know how it goes. It's strange the inbuilt ones, when rebooting, recreate the 540Kb spdb file but the PGPSW ones don't.
Doug

Question. Theses are the directions -
Remove any files currently in this folder:

* MyGuide: SpeedCam.spdb, SpeedCamUpdates.spdb and PGPSW text files
* iGO 8: SpeedcamUpdates.spud and PGPSW text files
* Binatone: SpeedCam.spdb, SpeedCamUpdates.spdb and PGPSW text files.

Are we following the IGo 8 ones because they do not mention removing the Speedcam.spdb file?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again with just the 6 txt files from PGPSW. The spdb file recreated with 1K of info, that's it.
Put the 4 original files back on, restarted and the spdb file recreated with 504Kb of info.
Something, somewhere is not right! Machine perhaps. Feel like selling it and getting a TomTom again as I have now received back my £30 rebate from HP. At least TomTom does as it says on the tin!! Should have kept my 720T.
Thanks for your help, Sal. Anything else you can think of, please let me know.
Doug
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Tried again with just the 6 txt files from PGPSW. The spdb file recreated with 1K of info, that's it.
Put the 4 original files back on, restarted and the spdb file recreated with 504Kb of info.
Something, somewhere is not right! Machine perhaps. Feel like selling it and getting a TomTom again as I have now received back my £30 rebate from HP. At least TomTom does as it says on the tin!! Should have kept my 720T.
Thanks for your help, Sal. Anything else you can think of, please let me know.
Doug

It seems to be something device-specific error. On my device (Asus A696) spdb has approx 166 kb after iGo rebuilding the speedcam.spdb...
As you can see on the HP's support web page, it has WinCE only.
It seems that HP made something what is not compatible with some functions of iGo 8.
More funny: when you'll go into http://navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igo_8_supported_devices , your device is not on the list.
As the final: you definitely should return to TomTom 7 or to buy soemthing with full Windows mobile and separate iGo.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: