Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ash10, are you the biggest tease in the world or are you planning on making this public at some point?!

Sorry for the delay - I've been on holiday this last week (a couple of thousand miles on unfamiliar roads, so a big thumbs-up for the PGPSW speed camera database Thumbs Up)

Should be something in the next day or so...
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicle Utility v1.0.0.0 is now available!

http://tinyurl.com/5sb6ae

The user interface should look familiar to some of you... Wink

Point Garmin Vehicle File to a Garmin SRF file, point Bitmap Images to a working directory on your hard disk. Click Split to extract a series of bitmap files from the SRF file, or click Join to pack them back together again.

The saved bitmap files are numbered _000 to _350 - this number represents the rotation of the displayed vehicle in degrees. A copy of the original SRF file is made, called _xxx - this is required for the joining process, and should be left alone.

On my Nuvi, the SRF files can be found under \Garmin\Vehicle - yours may be slightly different. Needless to say, take a backup copy of your original files before changing anything! The standard blue triangle SRF file is a good place to start making a custom vehicle from.

Magenta pixels in the bitmaps represent the transparency mask, and these pixels will be "see through" on the finished display - I'm currently working on alpha-blending for the next release...

This version is for personal use only - commercial use prohibited without permission

To this end, when joining the bitmap images back together, images _100 to _260 are skipped - although this doesn't really affect performance as these images are with the vehicle driving towards the viewer, which seldom happens in practice.

Contributers/testers have a version which removes this limitation. The contributer version also skips missing bitmap images, repeating the last image if necessary - allowing you to easily make a SRF file using as many or as few images as you wish (minimum of one, natch Wink)

Enjoy! Cool
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another example for you (Ker-chow! Cool):

http://tinyurl.com/58gecv

(Before any legal-types get over-excited, this is just a sequence of photographs of an officially licenced product - no affiliation with or endorsement by the licence holder is or should be implied or infered. Thank you for your attention!)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
Here's another example for you (Ker-chow! Cool):

http://tinyurl.com/58gecv

(Before any legal-types get over-excited, this is just a sequence of photographs of an officially licenced product - no affiliation with or endorsement by the licence holder is or should be implied or infered. Thank you for your attention!)

awwww sweet!!!! my lad LOVES all things Cars! i'm having that one :D

MaFt
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
awwww sweet!!!! my lad LOVES all things Cars!

Same here - where do you think I got the idea from?! Laughing

(PS: any chance of a Sticky?!)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickied.

now can you do mater, hudson hornet, the king and chick hicks?

if you want i'm sure darren can add it to the 'customise your gps' web page as a specific garmin download? there's already a load of tom tom car icons on there, may as well have ones for garmin too?

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just catching up on this now I have a Garmin to play with again. I'll update the Cursor pages if you're in agreement Ash with links to the vehicles app. If you have any cursors your happy for me to host I'll add them as well?
masster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ash10
What do you say about doing an even better job and saving all sprites to PNG with transparency then joining them back? I am sure that you understand better .SRF headers and content and you have seen it's using a series of PNG files inside.
So why not using them as well for editing and creating perfectly masked, antialiased sprites?
Cheers
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masster wrote:
What do you say about doing an even better job and saving all sprites to PNG with transparency then joining them back?

So why not using them as well for editing and creating perfectly masked, antialiased sprites?

Because the vast majority of users don't have any PNG editing tools installed... Wink
masster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
masster wrote:
What do you say about doing an even better job and saving all sprites to PNG with transparency then joining them back? So why not using them as well for editing and creating perfectly masked, antialiased sprites?

Because the vast majority of users don't have any PNG editing tools installed... Wink

so let's meet halfway - please modify the program so you can Save As... .bmp OR .png. this way everybody's happy Smile [/b]
QQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW! Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
Just in case anyone thought that I was becoming lazy in my old age, here's a sneak preview of what I've been up to Cool

I've written another unimaginatively title piece of software, called Vehicle Utility. It allows you to split a Garmin SRF file, and save out the 3D vehicle graphics. Once you've played around with them, you can join them back up again (rather like Voice Utility).

Tried this utility with some images (36 taken at 10degree increments) of my own car working from the "blue triangle" as a template. Worked fine immediately after I loaded it, but the next time I switched the unit on all I got was the blue triangle again and reselecting the chosen image does nothing. Perhaps the missing images (the head on ones) are the problem?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW! Reply with quote

QQ wrote:
Worked fine immediately after I loaded it, but the next time I switched the unit on all I got was the blue triangle again and reselecting the chosen image does nothing. Perhaps the missing images (the head on ones) are the problem?

I can't see why it would work fine and then stop - in any case, the "missing" frames are actually there, they're just blank.

What happens if you select another vehicle, and then go back to your new one?
QQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW! Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:

The new vehicle shows up in the selection menu, but by selecting it reverts to the blue triangle.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW! Reply with quote

QQ wrote:
Ash10 wrote:

The new vehicle shows up in the selection menu, but by selecting it reverts to the blue triangle.

Sounds like you've got your Garmin in 2D mode (top-down map display) - what happens if you use 3D navigation mode (in simulation if necessary)?
QQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash10's Vehicle Utility Software NEW! Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:

Sounds like you've got your Garmin in 2D mode (top-down map display) - what happens if you use 3D navigation mode (in simulation if necessary)?

Not sure what mode it was in at the time - and the unit is not with me at present. I'll try again when it gets back from its travels. Thanks for the help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: