Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen Protector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen Protector
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Physicist wrote:

Incidentally, how do SatMap justify describing the unit as waterproof when it is anything but!

The unit is waterproof. Water will not get in to it and affect the electronics...including when using the buttons in the rain.

The screen protector is not sealed. It allows water (somehow!!) to get underneath it an on to the surface underneath it....but once there the water will not affect the unit electronically as that is waterproof. The outer covwer needs a very thin rubber seal underneath it so that the water doesn't affect the screen's surface...that's all.

Hi robs1972,

Just returned from a very wet week in the Brecon Beacons and Pembrokeshire Coast Path.

After walking part of the PCP in driving light rain and wind on my first day, I was very disappointed to find that heavy condensation had built up behind the screen on the A10 (not the screen protector which was fitted) and made reading the lower half of the screen impossible. To overcome this I packed the A10 in a box surrounded by silica gel bags each night after use until the moisture disappeared. On subsequent wet days walking I only took the A10 out of my pocket to glance at as needed and quickly put it back in my pocket to keep the rain off the unit. I therefore question the unit's ability to keep out moisture.

Apart from that issue the A10 proved faultless and performed flawlesslesly for 7 days walking in far from ideal conditions and on the whole I am extremely pleased with the unit.

Bryan
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the condensation caused by the changes in temperature rather than the fact it was raining?

You'd get the same kind of problem taking a camera in to the Eden Project on a cold dry day.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could very well be right but surely the condensation would be on the outside of the camera lens/Satmap screen not on the inside? If there is a seal how can moisture get on the inside of the unit? I drove to Pembrokeshire, a 1.5 hour drive, without the heater on in my car. The first hour of the walk was fine, if the moisture was caused by a sudden change in temperature I would have thought it would have happened almost immediately? It was only after I noticed water had got between the protective screen and the Satmap screen that I took shelter and removed the protective screen and wiped both screens dry that I noticed the Satmap screen had steamed up behind with water tiny water droplets around the edges.

The only thing I can think of to support your theory would be the heat from my hand holding the device whilst walking caused a change in temperature and therefore caused condensation but then surely moisture shouldn't get behind the screen on a sealed unit?

Bryan
[/i]
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nonoftheabove
Beginner

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i had to send my unit back due to water getting into behind the screen;
The unit was in/out my anorak pocket BUT it was teaming down with rain ALL day and i needed to micro- manage my navigation through
woodland copses. The unit functioned wonderfully until it expired
BUT by then i knew just where i was and wanted to go to get back to 'base'

Anyway the unit was returned NOT mended BUT a completely NEW
unit with 1.189 sofware preinstalled.

Reading the threads about lockup and loss of signal seems to be Mainly a biker problem. Walking which is what i acquired the unit for has so far been a pleasure

It would appear I am not alone.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwmboy wrote:
You could very well be right but surely the condensation would be on the outside of the camera lens/Satmap screen not on the inside? If there is a seal how can moisture get on the inside of the unit?

The moist air that comes in contact with the outside of the device and condenses is to some extent present on the inside of the device too.
You would need the interior of the device to be a fully air sealed vacuum for there to be no chance of condensation forming on the inside.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, have been out in appalling weather and have had no condensation or water leakage problems, (and I seem to be continually looking at it while walking!) I've been in Desert conditions..around 35/40c, and freezing conditions.... Nepal..around minus 15, as well as rain, snow and anything else you would care to mention....so far , so good.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you say that condensation was formed as a result of rain and a warm hand holding the device? That is the only difference in temperature I can think of. Therefore it may be waterproof but not condensation proof and I would suggest therefore that the device isn't held in the hand for long periods in wet conditions. I never recall having this problem with a Garmin that was often taken from a warm car out into very cold conditions or indeed my mobile phone but then the screen is a lot bigger on the Satmap.

Has anyone else on this forum had their screens steam up to the point of having water droplets behind the screen? I would like to know if I am alone with this problem.

As I said before I am 99% happy with the device and it has worked faultlessly since I upgraded the firmware but just want to know if I have a leaky unit or just need to stop holding it for long periods in the rain to prevent condensation which seems a bit daft.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
I too, have been out in appalling weather and have had no condensation or water leakage problems, (and I seem to be continually looking at it while walking!) I've been in Desert conditions..around 35/40c, and freezing conditions.... Nepal..around minus 15, as well as rain, snow and anything else you would care to mention....so far , so good.

Thanks FrequentFlyer, it would appear then that I need to send my unit back to Satmap as it may be faulty.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwmboy wrote:
So would you say that condensation was formed as a result of rain and a warm hand holding the device? .

Interior condensation is going to happen when you take the device suddenly from somewhere warm in to the cold. For example this could be from the interior pocket of a thick coat on a winters day to outside the coat to see the screen.
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after my experience mentioned up thread; I will in future
take my Aquapac unit and use that WHEN it is raining heavily.

[ But the damp on the plasma screen seemed more than condensation to ME ]

One can then insert it in the bag and one ;well I only need to nudge it from sleep mode to check the map now and again.
Please NOTE that i only use the unit for walking NOT for cycling.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that sounds like a dodgy unit and suggest you 'phone Satmap. I've had my A10 out for hours in the rain, admittedly on my bike handlebars, without any moisture ingress.
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my A10 on the wettest day of the year when I was up in the Lake District (Sun 22nd June), torential rain and 70mph winds, every thing was wet through except the A10 which went on working throughout a 14mile walk, I held the unit in my hand as I was having to change my route a number of times because of the conditions. I used the unit on 14 cosecutive days as I did the c2c route without one single problem. A great piece of kit.

cosmic.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, seems like a have a dodgy unit. I went to turn it on to download my walks onto Anquet and it won't even turn on. I think the water ingress has killed it Crying or Very sad

A phone call to Satmap on Monday me thinks!
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: