Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Standards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Standards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Satmap Standards Reply with quote

There is a lot of disagreement on this forum of the Satmaps capabilities. Indeed, though I kept abreast of the posts one of my prime concerns before buying was the units sensitivity. I am making this post as guidance for those considering buying. It may not be the best or worst experienced but it is a guide to what can be achieved.

The test unit was purchased early June and reports firmware version 1.16.
Location was Glamorgan (visible sky not limited by hills), village/country(so limited radio noise expected)

While I normally do my walking in the country(honest!) I have used my house to give a guide of restricted satellite visibility(defining tree cover is difficult). The tests were carried out with SD card removed, full rechargeable NiMH batteries and the unit had been used previously and sufficiently at this location and so should have a fairly up to date and complete catalogue. In 'clear' area the unit reported 11 satellites with a lock on 9.

POWER UP INSIDE HOUSE(modern 2 storey brick/foamed block)
Lock could only be obtained 1 meter from french window with 5 satellites detected and lock obtained in 3 minutes. 7 satellites were detected in 4 minutes.

POWER UP IN GARDEN(visible sky limited by house)
7 satellites detected with a lock on 5 in 2 minutes, 9 satellites detected in 3 minutes.

INSIDE(after lock obtained)
Lock maintained generally on the ground floor but S/N does dip quite low at times. A minimum of 6 satellites(lock on 5) with ave. 21db signal.
Lock became firmer on the first floor with 8 satellites detected(lock on 6) and ave. 30db signal.

It might be a good idea if other users could report their results with detail and circumstances, not only could we determine an average, but perhaps pin down why some users report poor reception.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine...but then I haven't timed it. I turn it on and away I go Laughing
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with robs1972. I too just turn mine on, get myself ready and go. I think some members of this forum are a bit to critical of Their Satmap, and this is spoiling their enjoyment of what is a superb machine. I own and have used on many occasions a Garmin Legend and also a Garmin Foretrex both of them did a great job for me, the Satmap leaves both of these machines in it's wake. I am doing the Coast 2 Coast (hiking) next week, this will take two weeks during which time the Satmap will be used every day, all day, to give me my planned route and also record my walk data, I will report back on how it performed.

cosmic.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately it is in the field that the issues appear. mine worked pretty ok for the first few weeks.
however i went away for a week and i had lots of trouble.
i'm so used to the reliabilty of garmin units that i usually use that this proved frustrating.
to have the unit lock up in the pouring rain is not good.
neither is having screen visibilty reduced by water getting in between the screens.
my wife was increasingly irritated by me hanging around midwalk waiting for the unit to restart and reaquire.
her nokia n82 phone using viewranger software was rock solid.
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy.

I have used my Satmap on a couple of occasions for a weekend at a time and apart from the first time (batteries) I have had no problem. As I have said I will get a good look at it and report any problems I have.

cosmic
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyb2, have you noticed any link between the map size loaded on card or routes in memory and your lock up problem or is it totally random regardless of space used?
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really does appear random. i have very few routes loaded and they are stored on the memory card

i am using the half great britain mapset - but the latest firmware (1.189)was meant to have dealt with large map issues
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from 3 days walking and used the Satmap extensively.

Generally it performed very well except for an incident yesterday when it locked up requiring the LiPol battery to be disconnected.

After restarting it took absolutely ages to get a lock despite seeing a full set of satellites with good signal strength. When it finally got a lock it immediately locked up again requiring a full reboot again. Once again it wouldnt get a fix

My technophobe friends were by this time moving from jesting and poking fun to getting irritated.

I then realised that I was standing under a power line and when I moved into open ground it got a fix immediately and worked perfectly for the rest of the day. A learning experience there!

Today, a really bizarre thing happened after a couple of hours of use. After performing flawlessly (and beginning to win back the faith of my friends after finding some stiles hidden in hedges) it suddenly decided that I was 200 meters to the side of the path I was on. It tracked me perfectly parallel to the path but was way out in its position (eventually telling me I was in the middle of a lake!). I rebooted and it then fixed me correctly and continued to work OK for the rest of the day. This all happened under perfect conditions - clear sky in the open with all satellites locked prioperly.

Has this happened to anyone else? It strikes me as potentially being a bit dangerous

Peter
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a week on Dartmoor sightseeing and doing some walking. My unit regularly froze when in planning mode. I zoomed out to about the 50 miles scale so that I could easily pan down to Dartmoor from the Leicester default position. I then zoom in and it freezes before I get to the 50,000 scale (I have the Southern 50k map). When it freezes no amount of button pressing will work and the batteries have to be removed.

When it is in gps mode I found that it is sometimes slow when trying to zoom in or out, particularly after a few hours. At that stage the battery indicator is usually showing 3 bars. I use the Energizer 2500mAh rechargeables and have version 1.16.

As someone has said it is great when it is working but frustrating when it plays up which is more than it should for a piece of kit costing £300 plus map costs. Is it 'fit for purpose'?
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised in an earlier post, I used my Satmap everyday when doing the c2c. I had no problem with the machine in fact it exceeded all my expectations.

I used it in the worst weather (rain and 70mph winds) conditions I have ever walked in, for up to 10hrs a day without a missed step. The argument that it does not work under a thick tree cover was also tested as I had to find a path that was so overgrown that to find it on the ground was impossible, the Satmap nailed it to the inch, despite me being deep into the forrest.

I found the Satmap a first class product and worth every penny I've spent. The only thing that I had to remember, was to charge the battries ever night.

cosmic Very Happy
paul1q2w3e4r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmiccowboy wrote:
As promised in an earlier post, I used my Satmap everyday when doing the c2c. I had no problem with the machine in fact it exceeded all my expectations.

I used it in the worst weather (rain and 70mph winds) conditions I have ever walked in, for up to 10hrs a day without a missed step. The argument that it does not work under a thick tree cover was also tested as I had to find a path that was so overgrown that to find it on the ground was impossible, the Satmap nailed it to the inch, despite me being deep into the forrest.

I found the Satmap a first class product and worth every penny I've spent. The only thing that I had to remember, was to charge the battries ever night.

cosmic Very Happy

Just out of interest, did you plan the route into the A10 yourself, import the waypoints from elsewhere or obtain the C2C map specially?
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul.

It was the c2c map card that I used, but on two occasions I was forced to navigate away from the route on the card and plot my own route. one was a nine mile detour and the other worked out at just under three miles, which included the forrest section above.

cosmic
paul1q2w3e4r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmiccowboy wrote:
Hi Paul.

It was the c2c map card that I used, but on two occasions I was forced to navigate away from the route on the card and plot my own route. one was a nine mile detour and the other worked out at just under three miles, which included the forrest section above.

cosmic

Thanks for the update. I might get around to doing it myself one day! I think I might attempt the C2C cycle route first and then hopefully the walk sometine in the future.

Regards, Paul
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul.

I would recommend the c2c trail, I was overjoyed when I walked into Robin Hoods Bay and then just as quickly I was downhearted that it had come to an end, so much so I could happly have turned round and walked back to St Bees.

cosmic.
Pete_Midd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you think about the active 10, you cannot fault satmap's customer/after sales service. It is second to none. Just imagine if all companys were like this! How much better life would be!

As for the active 10, its a great piece of kit which satmap are updating/improving all the time. Its getting more reliable and better to use with each update.

Keep up the good work Satmap!
Pete Middleton

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: