Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery Pack
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Pack
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Battery Pack Reply with quote

I am planning to get the rechargeable battery pack for my SatMap.

I have 2 questions

1) Does this give longer useage than using (expensive) Lithum AA batteries?

2) Once installed, is it a simple matter to take it out in the field and replace it with AA batteries if it runs flat? I was thinking that it would be useful to have some sort of backup. However it looks to me as though I need to take out the battery holder if I use the rechargeable pack.

Peter
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Pack Reply with quote

drpeej wrote:
I am planning to get the rechargeable battery pack for my SatMap.

I have 2 questions

1) Does this give longer useage than using (expensive) Lithum AA batteries?

Yes
Quote:
2) Once installed, is it a simple matter to take it out in the field and replace it with AA batteries if it runs flat? I was thinking that it would be useful to have some sort of backup. However it looks to me as though I need to take out the battery holder if I use the rechargeable pack.

You would need to carry the AA battery holder with you but removal of the LiPo is simple as is replacement of the battery holder.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally, would not say that it is simple to replace in rough conditions or in the dark on a mountainside somewhere...far from it. Trust me, I've tried it...what with freezing cold hands, makes it nearly impossible, and the last thing you want is water (rain etc.,) getting into it. (And if you haven't got three hands, you'll need a head torch to see what you're trying to do in the dark) If you're doubtful about the life of the rechargeable pack...and so far I am very impressed...more than adequate for a days walk....then you could always use the regular batteries, which would be a lot, lot easier to replace...but it really shouldn't be necessary.
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice. Its not so much walking that I am concerned about as you can use battery saving tricks like screen blanking and even switching off the machine to prolong battery life. However thats not so practical for bike rides. However on bike rides it should be easier to find somewhere dry to do the necessary changes.

Yesterday, my Lithium batteries died 3/4 of the way through a long ride. I had a spare set but wondered whether having the rechargeable battery pack would have caused any problems under these circumstances.

Peter
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should solve any future battery problems,(from ITN.)

Despite treacherous weather conditions, a tiny plastic robot has scaled the Grand Canyon.

Miniature robot Evolta, which is just 17 centimetres tall and weighs about 134 grams, achieved the feat in under seven hours.

It climbed up a 530 metre (1,739 ft) canyon using a pair of AA batteries and a thin wire, which was suspended from the top.

The robot finally made it to the top on its sixth attempt.

Japan, which produces batteries powering everything from toys to cars in a $50 billion (£25bn) global energy storage industry, now holds the Guinness title for the longest-lasting AA cell with Panasonic's new Evolta batteries.[/b]
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolta batteries are only alkalines (with a life of up to twice that of other alkalines , say Panasonic). Forget them. Lithium will outlast them.
chrisabel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

Hi

I recently did the coast to coast walk and the satmap was very handy in helping me to get through the difficult spots. The wires of the lipo battery had snapped which meant resorting to non-recheargble batteries and I can confirm that the energiser lithium batteries are definitely the best. They last an extra day longer than others like duracell and phillips. i used the advanced power setting which made a big difference and which seemed to make the unit more stable, i.e. no freezing up etc which I tended to have with it on the normal power setting. I was using 1.18 beta since I have the north GB card 1.50 scale. Also I dropped the unit on one occasion and thankfully it was working fine and that I was not using a PDA! Only the front cover was cracked which can be replaced.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Reply with quote

chrisabel wrote:
Hi

The wires of the lipo battery had snapped...............

Yesterday I was leading a group of 4th form students over the Brecon Beacons on a 4 hour hike and they were extremely impressed with the A10, then, after about an hours use every couple of minutes it kept turning off and their enthusiasm soon dwindled. I couldn't understand it and as it was quite windy with light rain and hill fog I didn't bother with it any more. After using the fail safe method of navigation using map and compass we returned to base where I investigated the cause further. I took the back off and found that the positive wire had come adrift from the LiPol battery.

I rang Satmap this morning and explained what had happened and I must say their customer service is second to none. They immediately offered a replacement battery that they are sending out today. The lady I spoke to was extremely helpful and polite and was sympathetic to the problem.

This definitely is a poor connection from the battery to the unit and I would hope that a solution to this is found soon. Maybe a similar set up as mobile phone batteries? I also noticed that one of the wires, the negative, had got pinched between the battery cover and foam seal which could have affected it's water tightness.

I am on the Brecon Beacons and Pembrokeshire Coast Path next week so hopefully I will get better use from the unit. Pity really, as I had used it several times flawlessly on gentle walks in good visibilty on good paths, but I was looking forward to putting it to the test in poor visibilty often off the beaten track. A good job the golden rule of never going without map and compass wasn't broken!!
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Reply with quote

cwmboy wrote:
.......... the ...... wire had come adrift from the LiPol battery.
This has happened twice to me. Both times Satmap service has been exemplary, sending replacements very promptly. But in 'phone conversations they have admitted that this is an issue and are looking at differing answers, perhaps metal contacts on the battery, 'phone/camera style, which will fit in a frame plugged into the main case in the same way as the AA batteries holder; this would have to be retro-compatible with current units of course. In the meantime, one option is to acquire and carry a spare Li-pol; or, cheaper, carry the AA frame and spare AA cells. Either way, fiddling with the little plug and delicate wires, possibly in bad weather, is not welcome.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PloddinPedro,
Glad to hear Satmap are looking to resolve the problem. Actually I did have the AA frame and batteries in my rucksack but weather conditions prevented me from even considering opening the back as you rightly mentioned.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have the active 10 before i got my money refunded as i found the unit so unreliable. i considered the li-pol battery but rejected it on seeing it.
who 'designed' such a rubbish powerpack? even the cheapest gadgets now come with a decent phone style battery. all pda's come with a plug in battery.
the problem with the powerpack is yes it will mean you don't have to change batteries - but you will have to disconnect it (in the rain) when the unit crashes.
if you trawl through all of the satmap forums you will find the underlying theme is disappointment
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb2 wrote:
... if you trawl through all of the satmap forums you will find the underlying theme is disappointment
I take the view that: (a) in any forum such as this, you'll always get many more people posting about problems than people logging on simply to say how pleased they are with their kit - the latter are out using it; and (b) as perverse as it may seem, to me the continuing threads evidence the determination of many users to sort out the bugs - and this is because the fundamental selling point of the A10 is just so good. The zoomable rolling OS map remains the holy grail and is the reason why I've persisted even though my Garmin is more reliable, more readable, runs longer (using AA cells) and records trip data more accurately and comprehensively. The difference is that when I'm out without a pre-defined route to follow and need to navigate "on the fly" the Satmap wins hands down.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zoomable rolling OS map remains the holy grail

yes and my wife has that on her nokia n82 running viewranger. within its boxit case it is waterproof too.

the screen is too small, but is useable - 9 hours battery life and no freezing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you're beginning to sound like a one man anti-Satmap campaign. You've had a bad experience and you've been refunded, fair enough but many of us like the units, yes they have faults but we're willing to accept them because of the functionality we do get. ViewRanger on a Nokia is not a comparable alternative, it's not waterproof nor is it anywhere near as convenient to use as an Active 10. You could always use Memory-Map on a PDA encased in an Otterbox but the point is they're all jack of all trades whereas the Active 10 is designed for a sole purpose and is slowly getting closer to achieving it.

Lets give Satmap some credit for bothering to enter such a competitive market where the big players with many millions available for R&D are dominant. They've done so with a credible product that admittedly has some issues but few first generation devices are perfect.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a locked up satmap in the rain is 'not convenient to use' - i know i've been there.

i give due credit to satmap for attempting to bring to fruition everyones dream - but the satmap is sold (is still being sold) as a viable, reliable unit.

it is'nt.

when it is i'll happily part with another £500 (maps and satmap)

and darren, in your role you are bound to get privileged treatment from satmap. i had to pay for the privilege of 'testing' mine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: