Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce new ONE and ONE XL Models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce new ONE and ONE XL Models
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom Announce new ONE and ONE XL Models Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAmsterdam, 29th April 2008
At a large dealer, investor and press gathering today, TomTom have today announced the launch of their new ONE and ONE XL model range.

The two new models which share an identical design other than the screen size have a new ultra slim form factor, large speaker and a unique mount solution. Known as EasyPort™, the new mount design allows it to be left attached to the device and folded against and is small enough to fit easily into a pocket or bag.

Both ONE and XL have a new, louder speaker allowing audio to be heard even in noisy environments and come with 3.5 inch (ONE) or 4.3 inch (XL) LCD's. They also have Tom Tom Traffic support via RDS-TMC either included or as an extra cost option dependent on package and Map Share although neither feature an SD slot for future upgrades.

Both models will be available in May 2008 with UK guide prices of £149.99 for the ONE UK, £199.99 for the ONE Europe Traffic, £179.99 for the XL UK and £229.99 for the XL Europe Traffic.

The event arena, Passenger Terminal, Amsterdam

ONE installed in windscreen

One XL

Rear view showing large speaker/docking ring

Side view, very slim form factor

Last edited by Darren on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: New ONE Reply with quote

Good sized speaker for us Van Drivers. Glad I didn't get an older ONE at Gatwick last week-end. Ideal for light travelling.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more images from the press kit:

TomTom ONE

TomTom ONE Side View

New mount

TomTom XL

TomTom XL Side View

New mount

Last edited by Darren on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit. Just bought a ONE v3 two days ago. I wonder if these will be running Navcore 8. The only feature I'm interested in is iQ routes. Hopefully they will upgrade the ONE v3 in time. Quite happy to pay for it as well.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures of the base though? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we can talk about these I can confess I have been testing both since Christmas.

The unit is nice, very thin, loudspeaker good and the basic idea of the mount is a good one. But, if you leave the mount on the windscreen (and I know you really shouldn't!) then attaching the ONE or XL (same mount) is a very difficult process. It takes quite some force to overcome the sprung metal latches.

On the plus side, the idea is to take unit AND mount away as one unit for security and in this mode, the mount works well folding against the back of the device.

On the windscreen it's also very easy to adjust to suit. You can swivel the unit in a circle around the mounting ring against a number of click stops and the ring itself attaches to the suction part with a ball swivel which gives additional adjustment.

The ONE is so small that it can be tucked into the bottom corner of your windscreen where it is sits inconspicuously.

I can also mention the new RDS-TMC receiver solution which will I imagine be phased in across the x30 range as well at some point.

This is mini-USB based and connects to the power socket. This is the only socket on the ONE and XL.

The RDS receiver has a mini_USB socket on it's dongle into which your standard power lead fits. To utilise RDS-TMC you MUST have external power.

The moulded mini-USB plugs on the receiver and power cable fit into a deeply recessed socket on the device itself. This has proved very fiddly in use and difficult to attach even with device and cables in your hand. Trying to insert the cable with the device on the windscreen is a recipe for high blood pressure!

I can't comment on software specifics at present, what version of the OS and mapping etc but I will seek clarification on this.

Apologies for the poor quality pictures, had I known the ONE and XL were being announced here today I'd have brought mine to take pictures of! I will however post better pictures of the units and the RDS-TMC receivers upon my return to the UK.

New mini-USB TMC-RDS receiver

The new receiver design is very similar except for the new oblong 'dongle' which house the receiver and in this new version, the daisy-chain mini-USB socket. The mini-USB plug is a right-angled type to site close to the base of the ONE/XL.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the 'ancills' take up more space than the unit itself.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
No pictures of the base though? - Mike

It was a loaded question answered by this:

Darren wrote:
I can also mention the new RDS-TMC receiver solution which will I imagine be phased in across the x30 range as well at some point.

This is mini-USB based and connects to the power socket. This is the only socket on the ONE and XL.

Thanks - Mke
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like RDS-TMC works too according to photos hope for us yet then!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may soon be in the market, subject to the techies here trying to get the camera database onto a Talex (or not).

Does this new ONE still have the reduced POI functions as per the v3 ?

and...can it be corrected via the copied menu structure ?

and...presumably TT are still allowing third party camera databases to be used and not trying to ensure that only theirs will work ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banning 3rd party camera database's means banning 3rd party POI's as this is all a camera database is! I can't see TT doing that!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer in respect of reduced POI functions is unknown at present. I did quiz TomTom as to what firmware would be on these new units and it appears that whilst they may ship initially with v7 there will be an upgrade to v8 shortly.

I'm heading home today so will take a close look at my units, I know that when they had v7 they did have the reduced POI menu, however I need to look at what's on them now Wink

However, I ca confirm that third party POIs are supported, I doubt TomTom would ever remove this functionality, yes on V7 the POI menus are less extensive but the POIs work.

I'm surprised no-one has commented on the new RDS receiver, had I just invested in an x30 I'd be pretty annoyed to discover a new receiver design had been released!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta

I didn't comment on the TMC RDS because my Honda Civic has this built in so I have no need for it.

I just want the TT for the speed cams warnings.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of interest in the new RDS device is a shame, but until the software is corrected to make use of the time delay information in the UK there is little point in such an accessory. This issue has been reported to death in the forums over the last few months, coupled to very hit and miss customer support replies, unless the issue is resolved I cannot see any real future for the RDS system - it currently does not work.

That said the new receiver does outperform the old one in terms of reception which is a step in the right direction.

As for reduced POI functionality on the device, Darren could you try running the custom menu on the unit to see what it does, see the One Third Edition sticky for the menu text. Perhaps you could also check the Itinerary function, is this included or not, if not does it work when using the custom menu? - Mike
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cannot see any real future for the RDS system - it currently does not work.

The TMC in the latest Honda Civic is driven from radio station data and works perfectly in conjunction with the built in Honda/Alpine unit.

I agree that it's slightly more out of date than the Tm Q-Busta unit data that reads directly from the roadside beacons.

It has to be way that TT is trying to access, read and interpret the data ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: