Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quo Topo For Route Planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quo Topo For Route Planning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: active 10 settings Reply with quote

ok think i have sorted out the settings now thanks,going to opt for the li pol battery what do you think about mapping software? should i stick with sat sync or try something else? Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have any electronic mapping on the PC and are looking for an easy way to plan routes and transfer them to the active10 have a look at QUO the GPX file exports work with the SatSync software.

The big plus point to this is the cost, OS mapping for the PC which is cheap, 99 pence per map tile for 50K scale (but you have to purchase 6 tiles).
For under £10 I have Lancashire, Cumbria and parts of the Yorkshire dales on the PC, the actual application is free but is limitted in what it can do. Try the free download though and the PC package is easy to to use, I will have additional information on this mapping software soon - Mike
carpologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you don't have any electronic mapping on the PC and are looking for an easy way to plan routes and transfer them to the active10 have a look at QUO the GPX file exports work with the SatSync software.

The big plus point to this is the cost, OS mapping for the PC which is cheap, 99 pence per map tile for 50K scale (but you have to purchase 6 tiles).
For under £10 I have Lancashire, Cumbria and parts of the Yorkshire dales on the PC, the actual application is free but is limitted in what it can do. Try the free download though and the PC package is easy to to use, I will have additional information on this mapping software soon - Mike

have just downloaded quo am going to play
Bloberoonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpologist wrote:
mikealder wrote:

have just downloaded quo am going to play

Hi Carpologist, very interested to see how this compares in use to say, the OS map version on the normal card on the satmap?

regards

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get past the damned registration screen Grrrr, In Firefox it just keeps returning me to a blank registration screen and in IE it won't allow me to enter any data in the registration window. Evil or Very Mad
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd Darren, registered and downloaded fine for me using Firefox.

Be warned though if your used to Memory Map Quo's user interface is shockingly bad !

It also installs and updates DirectX with asking permission.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interface is simplistic when compared to MM, but as a cheap package to plan routes on the PC with OS mapping it is great, and much less costly than the competition. Most of the options are available to you though the free release is limitted to exporting routes with no more than 10 waypoints. The full paid for version allows unlimitted waypoints on a route.
As a tip if you use a scroll wheel mouse it helps as this can act for zoom in/ out, right click the mouse to drag the map around.
I also like the project management style to indexing and storing information about routes from within. the application on the PC, something I have never seen on a Topo package before.
I had no problems with registration using IE7 it simply went straight through, drop them an e-mail as they have been very responsive to the ones I have sent

@bloberoonie, the Quo package is for use on PC and PPC devices, it cannot be used on the active 10, only routes planned using Quo can be put on the active10 and used - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. the QUO software: (perhaps this merits putting into a separate thread?)
mikealder wrote:
The interface is simplistic when compared to MM, ....
I've already lashed out the loot for Memory Map, so I guess I'm interested only in any ways that Quo is superior to M.Map - ?
mikealder wrote:
... I also like the project management style to indexing and storing information about routes from within the application on the PC, something I have never seen on a Topo package before.
Explain please?

I'm primarily a cyclist and for me the main difficiency of M. Map is that I find it tedious composing routes. I prefer to have a fairly detailed track to follow, mainly because on a bike I'm moving faster than on foot and have less time to interpret the displayed route. In such as Autoroute or Garmin's Mapsource, I can use "automatic" route building tools to plot a route over considerable distances, where the software automatically determines the shortest path between my chosen points - if I don't like the automatically generated path I can easily edit it. I find these tools faster and easier than tediously placing dozens of track/route points to draw a detailed line on M.Map. The problem is that I can't find a way of converting routes generated in Autoroute or Mapsource into detailed .gpx tracks which can then be imported into a GPS unit (either Garmin or Satmap.) I can convert the Mapsource generated route into a .gpx track by passing it through M.Map but all I get out the end is an "as the crow flies" track which is a series of straight lines joining the user selected routepoints. I assume this is a consequence of the fundamental difference between a "track" (many trackpoints) and a "route" (a path plotted automatically by the mapping software along a series of route/waypoints.) What I really want is software that will take a route generated by one of the "automatic" functions and convert it into a .gpx track with a sufficiently high number of trackpoints to give a detailed path which closely follows the roads on the displayed map on my chosen GPS unit.

The QUO website ("Media" tab) mentions: "... special route planning tools for cyclists..." Would you have any idea what this refers to?
Bloberoonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

@bloberoonie, the Quo package is for use on PC and PPC devices, it cannot be used on the active 10, only routes planned using Quo can be put on the active10 and used - Mike

Thanks for clarification Mike, thought for a minute I could save myself a few quid, I don't mind paying out for the lake district where I would use the satmap the most, but it would also be nice to plan some walks around the berkshire area.

regards

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will answer the longer question when I get home, for smaller map selections such as Lakes and another county is where Quo really has the advantage, for example I bought the Lakes, most of Lancashire and part of the Yorkshire Dales at 50K for just under a tenner.
You are also correct this Quo discussion needs splitting out, but doing this on a mobile phone is too easy to mess up so I will do this later as well, I hope to finish off the write up I have been preparing this weekend which will explain in detail the Quo package in use on PC and PPC - Mike
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about PCs. When will they realise that there are many more Mac users than there used to be?

Quo have the opportunity to be the first to make digital mapping available to Mac users and I hope everyone using a Mac tells them so.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
All this talk about PCs. When will they realise that there are many more Mac users than there used to be?

Quo have the opportunity to be the first to make digital mapping available to Mac users and I hope everyone using a Mac tells them so.

I'm with you there but sadly there are still a great many more PC 'seats' than there are Mac. I have a small PC Micro Laptop on my desk for the occasions where I have to resort to Windows or if on the road I can use BootCamp on my MacBook. But it's getting rarer and rarer and currently all I use it for is Memory-Map, Quo and SatSync.
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Darren. I have a PC laptop for all my Mapping needs but to be honest, with all the associated viruses and spyware threats on the PC, i'm sick and tired of having to run anti virus/spyware software. At the moment, this is not required on the Mac and it's one if the reasons I bought one.

Hopefully, one day they make us happy.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
..... with all the associated viruses and spyware threats on the PC, i'm sick and tired of having to run anti virus/spyware software. At the moment, this is not required on the Mac and it's one if the reasons I bought one.
Apart from the anti-malware aspect (which may not last - ?) Are there any other reasons why you Mac fans go that route?
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with Macs on a daily basis in the printing industry and I can honestly say, after building my own PC using top quality components, the Mac is a better built and less problematic computer.

We have had Macs running 24 hrs a day for years without problems. We have had PC's running 24 hours a day for months and then the power supply fails.

I know it's personal preference but everything about my MacPro says quality. I suppose you just have to use one for a while, however, as Macs become more popular by the week, the threat of viruses and malware increases, which I'm not looking forward to.

Cheers

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: