Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map of Italy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map of Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oramazda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Map of Italy Reply with quote

I've recently returned from a holiday in Tuscany, Italy. I have TomTom 6 on my PDA and it has done stirling service in the UK but I found it sadly lacking in Italy. I downloaded the map from TomTom and initially relied on it too heavily and ended up using it alongside a conventional map with my brother navigating. The system seemed unable to differentiate between A,B, or C roads and on arrival in Pisa I set the map up to get to the Villa. First problem the road the villa was on didn't exist and it's obviously been there for years. The route given didn't seem to accept that new autostradas had been built. Everywhere I went there were new roads and roundabouts and that was just in the small area of Tuscany we were in. The problem was the map needed a serious upgrade as it must be at least 5 years old. Just a word to the wise, as I was seriously disappointed given how pleased I was with the UK map. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I blamed the Italians for my navigating problems in 2006 - I simply wanted to avoid Motorways (and the paying that goes with them). But the Italians seem to build so fast that no mapping can keep up with them. Milan area was a complete nightmare and I ended up trapped into a Motorway entrance. How you understand the paying business I shall never know!

In our case, looking for the Leaning Tower with NO IDEA what road it was on, I told Vera to look upwards and outwards at her side and I did the same at mine, but without luck. I eventually found a nice square with some bus shelters with information pictures and asked a lady (in my inimical English) for the Tower, she replied in Italian, so we got nowhere until I managed sign language for it. Whereupon she pointed at the bus just pulling in, to say it was going there. When I signed that I was driving, she signed back "Well follow the bus, Numpty!" Whereupon the driver switched off his engine and got out his flask and lunch box! We did find the tower eventually, but the photos all look pretty upright, because the trees have all grown tilted in sympathy, so there's nothing to make it look like it's leaning! Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: