Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatSync and File Conversions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatSync and File Conversions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say makes sense given your linux set up, that was the bit that was missing in your original post which is why I couldn't understand why you thought it was so much trouble using Satsync.

I use windows so it only takes a few moments to open satsync and and import the files much quicker or at least as quick as using an online convertor.

I would have thought that satmap could easily create an online convertor, I'm not sure though what their current software design team is like at the moment, their main man left the company in May who did all the silverlight development.

Personally, even if I saved to SD card directly, which is possible with satsync in windows without firing up satmap. I'd still want to fire up satmap before I left home to be sure that it had all saved fine. The worst thing would be to get to the start of the walk and find out then I had a problem.

My understanding is that satsync converts the .map into a gpx on the export, i.e. not satmap.

Good luck with Satmap & I hope you start to love it again soon!
My Blog Geocache Trails
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gibbo10, I was deliberately keeping Linux out of the equation because I just can't see the purpose of SatSync, regardless of OS.

After a walk or a ride I select the "Reset All & Convert" from the Trip Log Menu and switch off. I then remove the Sd map card and transfer the .gpx files of the route to my PC and upload/view them. The conversion from .map to .gpx is definitely performed by the SatMap itself.

Thanks once again for your replies. I now know that I'm operating it correctly(ish).

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols,

You are right - to a certain extent! I've just checked on of my SD cards. Each walk has two files, one ending in '...Raw.gpx', the other with just a '.map' extension. The raw gpx file has almost 11,000 points for a two hour walk, while the .map file, after conversion by SatSync has only 259. In addition the raw file only includes position, elevation, time and speed for each pointm while the map file includes the following for each point:

15/07/2012, 09:00, Odo12.7km, TotTime02:30, StLine8m, Mov02:28, AveMov5.1kph, Now0.0kph, Ave5.1kph, Max8.7kph

Now I'm not sure that additional information is of great value. But culling down from 11,000 points does seem to me to be useful, although no dobut there are other ways to achieve this.

Chris
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi Gibbo10, I was deliberately keeping Linux out of the equation because I just can't see the purpose of SatSync, regardless of OS.

After a walk or a ride I select the "Reset All & Convert" from the Trip Log Menu and switch off. I then remove the Sd map card and transfer the .gpx files of the route to my PC and upload/view them. The conversion from .map to .gpx is definitely performed by the SatMap itself.

Thanks once again for your replies. I now know that I'm operating it correctly(ish).

Regards.

It records two version one the raw file in gpx, so all though I'm not sure it performs the conversions , I agree it can record in gpx format but this is a massive file and far to big for most purposes. It also records it as a track I think not a route.

It also records a route and saves it as a .map file, it is the .map file the satmap can read and display on screen.

Let us know what Satmap says.
My Blog Geocache Trails
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gibbo10
Before writing to SatMap I thought that I had best read their FAQs. No.29 explains the need for SatSync, I feel it's a bit feeble but hey-ho, I have my answer.

I have just e-mailed SatMap to see if they would consider either providing their own on-line file converter or assisting GpsBabel, GpsVisualizer, etc. develop the file conversion using existing third-party programs.

I shall let you know the outcome.

@ChrisJakarta
Yes, the Raw.gpx file is quite large in comparison to a SatSync .gpx file but it still isn't a big file. I'm happy to use the Raw.gpx file than have to use SatSync to compress/convert it.

I have read that SatMap say that the SD card is hot-swapable. The next job on my to-do list is to go for a walk/ride and then, without saving or converting the trail, remove the SD card to see what of the walk is saved "on-the-hoof". I know that it's not going to solve anything except my curiosity.

Regards, Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
....... I shall let you know the outcome. .......

I recently received an encouraging reply from SatMap saying they have been planning a web-browser plug-in to perform the .gpx to .map file conversions. It's not high on their ToDo list and shall not be available until about mid 2013.

I forgot to ask but I'm hoping that it is developed for Firefox and not just Internet Explorer and Safari like Xpedition is.

In the meantime I shall dust off an old Windows PC in the back room and set it up as my A10 workstation.

Thanks for your replies.

EDIT - OOps! After checking the Xpedition web page, I don't think Safari is supported. Firefox is, so I guess that it is the Linux version of Firefox which isn't supported.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good

BTW Firefox for windows is supported by Xpedition
My Blog Geocache Trails

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: