Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Colorado 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Colorado 300
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Garmin claims support for a maximum of 4GB SD cards in the Colorado, but 8GB SDHC cards have been verified to work in the Colorado.
from elsewhere!

I standardize my cards to 2GB Kingston Micro SD with SD card adaptors.
This way they are inter-changeable with Colorado, iQue, and 60 and 76 series, as well as cameras and mobile phones.

Remember, to add one map tile to the SD card you have to load all again [4GB could take 90 minutes depending on your PC and card reader]!
The Colorado does a 'hot change' of SD cards.
All my Garmin units have worked 'quicker' with smaller map downloads, especially in 'dense' urban areas with poor signals.[Do not ask me why-it just seems to happen] Very Happy

In the UK I use a card with just the UK and when I go caravanning in Europe I change the Card.

I have recently loaded the map tiles of interest from TOPO GB to the 'internal' on the Colorado. There will be no need to re-load Topo when the new CityNavigator 2009 is released. [Topo gives a much better coastline than City Navigator in my home area]

I also have Fugawi on the iQue, but wish I could get it on the Colorado!!

I see you do not pick up your PMs!!
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new Software version release:-

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3891

Camera advance warning [with audible warning]

Camera overspeed warning [with repeated audible warning]

I now have a Visual and Audible warning [Proximity Alarm] for all my speed 'zonned' database. Very Happy

Topo can now appear on a white background:-

Satellite view:-

Fantasic Improvement

Last edited by missing_user on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total
RogueWanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering the Colorado as my Navman PiN 570 has given up the ghost. can the Garmin be used with MemoryMaps on SD cards ?

Any other options for road and off road use? don't mind swapping cards for use
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New software:-
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueWanderer wrote:
I am considering the Colorado as my Navman PiN 570 has given up the ghost. can the Garmin be used with MemoryMaps on SD cards ?
NO

Any other options for road and off road use? don't mind swapping cards for use

Yes, I have TOPO and CityNavigator and can select :-

You can 'hot swap' the SD cards!

No speech with these units.
mikeeeeeey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: v 2.6 now available Reply with quote

v2.6 software is now available for the colorado.

I couldn't get the webupdater to install it, but by downloading the s/w to my laptop I managed to install it manually
mikeeeeeey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: NiMH batteries Reply with quote

any reason why my 'GP' brand NiMH rechargeables (2450Ma) wont power my colorado ? Question
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have choice of three battery types - Alkaline/Lithium/NiMH
Have you changed the Options to suit?
Setup - System - Battery Type

Mine are Energizer-ReChargeable 2500mAh
[NH15-AA 1.2v NiMH HR6]
smist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just become a member of this News Group and have a couple of questions (and an answer about SDHC cards) regarding the Colorado 300.

First, with reference to SDHC cards, I purchased a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 8GB (not the micro with the adaptor) and it works fine in my Colorado 300. I have not had any problems with either V2.54 or V2.6 O/S software. I purchased this card from Argos and it came with a handy SDHC USB reader - which was good because my Dell Inspiron 9300 built-in card reader does not support SDHC.

As far as questions go, has anybody tried the Speed Camera Database on the V2.6 software for the Colorado? I have not purchased the database yet as I am still deciding between the SCDB and PocketGPS offerings.

Strumble, regarding the screenshots you displayed - are they using the 'consolidated' database? Or is it necessary to install all 24 files to get the actual speed limit information?

Does anyone know of any comparisions between databases?

Thanks in advance.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screenshots I posted are a mixture of Zonned and Consolidated.
Before the latest update there were no 'proximity' alarms so I had to rely on the visual zonned database with their individual speeds shown..

Now that Garmin have introduced proximity alarms, the audible and visual [pop-ups] have replaced the need for the zonned icons showing the details. So I now use Consolitated database. [The pop-up reflect the speeds just as the zonned database does] The consolidated icons are far more easy to see on the screen, at speed! I use GerryC's 24x24 icons.

The screenshots show Consolidated [on left] and Zonned.

Garmin have not as yet introduced the ability to show POI names as you aproach
ie pMOBILE:34593@30.
The cursor shows the name when you use it while stationary!

Other Garmin units have this ability.
smist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Strumble, that was very useful information. I wasn't too sure if the speed alerts worked on the Colorado.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am still deciding which DB to go for; SCDB provides the ability to view their speed camera locations on a map before purchasing - does PocketGPS do the same and if so, where can I find the page to do this?
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a full lifetime member I see the database here:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SubmitCamera

I do not know what you see there, perhaps one of the team can answer that Confused
All I know this is the best database!!!!

Here is a screenshot of what I see on Garmin Mapsource on the PC [13,500 locations].
The question marks represent the pmobiles [as an ex-verifier I still keep a lookout!!]

smist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Strumble, much appreciated.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right top button - Setup - Map - Options[left top button] - Advanced - TurnOn/Turn Off Map shading.

Only on the new software update.
Very Happy

Thanks for your comments - too often I take time to post but never get anything back.
smist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Orientation problem Reply with quote

Hi StellaMaris,

I too am a new Colorado user and also experienced an orientation issue. This may or may not be the same as you experienced.

Due to the Quad Helix antenna arrangement on the Colorado, I assumed that the device would operate equally well in the Horizontal and Vetical planes.

I have never owned a handheld GPS device before, and after calling Garmin support, the issue turned out to be down to my own inexperience.

I noticed my problem when I took the device out for the first time on a long bicycle ride. Because I had not yet purchased a handlebar mount for the device, I had it clipped to my rucksack (in the vertical position) with the Carabiner clip. Occasionally, when I thought I may have overshot a turning, I would stop and check my route by holding the device horizontally. To my surprise, the Colorado would tell me that my course was out by anything up to 180 degrees!

This was confirmed by support to be illegedly normal behaviour and that if I moved very slowly after switching it to the horizontal position, it would correctly show my course again. The support guy was right and this did cure the issue. I'm still not sure though why this was happening.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: