Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FS Loox N100 and 4gb SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FS Loox N100 and 4gb SD Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdwolfe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: FS Loox N100 and 4gb SD Card Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Loox N100 PND and was wondering if anybody has a 4 GB SD mini card working with it. I understand that SDHC cards do not work (from the FS website) but can you get non SDHC 4GB cards that work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Question
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They are not very common but Transcend & Hama both make a 4Gb SD only card. The Sandisc Extreme III does not claim to be High Capacity (SDHC) either but I would try it out in your local Jessops and see if it works for you before parting with any money; if it does work this is the one to go for.

The older the card (e.g. slower) the more likely it is to work with your Loox but the less comfortable Navigon will be. Its a trade off.

Plus how you format them also makes a difference to the cards discoverability by your device.

Recommendations from a German site (assuming X as your reader) are:
Below 4 GB (FAT16):
1 GB SD, 2 GB SD
use FAT16 with 32K
DOS-Command "format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K"

4 GB and up (FAT32):
4 GB SD (Platinum, Transcend 150x, ...)
4 GB SDHC (Transcend)
8 GB SDHC (Transcend)
use FAT32 with 16K
DOS-Command "format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K"

I would also recommend using the SD formatting utility from here http://www.sdcard.org/home/ as there are posts about corrupted SD cards using non specific formatting tools...

Bonne chance
Laughing
mkm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loox N100 SD card limit is actually above 2GB. 4GB SDHC cards (all brands not known) do in fact work. I know of at least one article that I've read that states a 4GB Kensington SDHC card works. I recently purchased a Transcend 4GB SDHC from buy.com for $7 + shipping (around $13) that works flawlessly so far; I had to try it for seven bucks. The N100 shows it as a ~3800MB card. I currently have USA/Canada, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico on the card and all appear to work fine; only 42MB remains on the card. I have not tested any larger cards. I doubt 8GB+ will work. I only think 4GB works because technically, the SD format does support 4GB, but apparently the chipset that accesses the card must support an access or block difference to reach 4GB, I read some article that described this, and most chipsets do not; thus the 2GB limit (which itself is not even standard across all devices).

Also, I have seen Ebay vendors on the US site selling 2008 US/Europe maps for the Loox, but this turned out to 2006 US maps (the original DVD files) and 2008 European maps. There does not appear to be an answer yet for US map updates for this device. My question to Navigon continues to go unanswered.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: