Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to organise and replace TomTom One's dismal POIs ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to organise and replace TomTom One's dismal POIs ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SayCheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: How to organise and replace TomTom One's dismal POIs ? Reply with quote

Hi, the big disappointment of my TT One (v2) is the rotten quality of the POIs that come with it. My old i3 was so much better.

Thankfully, we have the PocketGPS database to fall back on. Having loaded up lots of them, I've now got a rather odd setup with some of them replicated.

What irks me most is that the main screen for POIs shows icons for the rubbish files that TT supplied.

How can I get rid of all the TT files and then choose my most regularly used POI files to display on the main POI screen?

Does anyone have a POI tip/setup they'd like to share. Maybe the cheapskates at TomTom will take notice.

Joe
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The built-in POIs are all stored in one file "poi.dat" in the map folder. Delete that file (or preferably just move it somewhere else or rename it to "poi.dat_old") and they will all disappear.

The order in which a few categories are shown on the first selection page, is a bit weird and wonderful. It is basically the ones the TT think you want to use most often, and as you use categories several times, they will appear on that page, replacing the ones already there. Obviously the latest one is shown last on that page, but exactly how it decides when or where to swap the others is a bit of a mystery.

Finally, if you wanted to ADD the contents of a POI file of your own to an existing category (so the entries in your file appeared in TomTom's default one, rather than as a second, similarly named category), then there is a (slightly fiddly) way to do that which I described, HERE
SayCheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Andy, that's brilliantly easy to follow. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: