Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roundabout Corrections Made Via MapShare
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roundabout Corrections Made Via MapShare
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Roundabout Corrections Made Via MapShare Reply with quote

Via MapShare I have added several roundabouts in my area which are still missing on their latest maps.

Two of these are on the A259, one in Seaford (by station) and the other Newhaven (under flyover) and have existed for years.

Easy question
Has a roundabout anyone has ever created appeared as an update via MapShare or do we have to wait to see them on the next map we purchase?

If we do have to wait to buy our corrections (which I suspect is the case) should we not get some kind of discount for every correction we make that is verified correct against the cost of next years map?

HummerUK
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because roundabouts require a change in the actual mapping data, not just directions of travel on roads it will be a long, long time for changes to filter through.

Has anyone seen any of the mapping errors reported before MapShare corrected? I think they (TT and TeleAtlas) apply a filter and only look at changes if enough people report the same error.

Presumably in about 10 years the maps will be up to date and will have a proper means of updating them - MapShare is largely a gimmick, presumably proper self updating will come along later - but remember TT and TeleAtlas make money out of selling new maps to us Crying or Very sad
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen a road i reported as no entry either way done it's now not a road anymore ,as you can't remove it if you have sainsbury poi the 1 at sevenoaks just before you turn right
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Roundabout Corrections Made Via MapShare Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:

Has a roundabout anyone has ever created appeared as an update via MapShare or do we have to wait to see them on the next map we purchase?

Only items on the FIRST page of map corrections get updated on your map and shared with others.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Roundabout Corrections Made Via MapShare Reply with quote

So what is the point in all the other options if we have no feedback or it does not correct errors on our devices?

Thousands of people could report the same roundabout every week for six months for no good reason other than doing tomtoms work for them in a most inefficient manner.

It would be better if you could just log into a site with the whole uk mapped and make the correction there and it display correction made by others (if your item has already been reported).

Perhaps an idea for Garmin Smile

If the current software and maps on our TT devices is so pathetic it can't accept a roundabout without a whole new map being downloaded it surely that makes mapshare concept nothing but a con.

It seems to me the statements at http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=Mapshare are far from accurate.

e.g.
Quote:
When a user submits updates through TomTom Map Share™, these updates can be shared with other TomTom Map Share™ users. Users can therefore choose between downloading all reported map updates or only accepting map updates verified by a TomTom team of experts to guarantee timeliness and validity.

HummerUK
Andy_P2002 wrote:
HummerUK wrote:

Only items on the FIRST page of map corrections get updated on your map and shared with others.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description of map share in their support pages HERE is a LITTLE more truthful, but still goes a bit vague when it gets to what happens to reports you make on the second and third pages.

That page you linked to is a classic example of what happens when you let a marketing department loose on something. Facts go out the window!
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is better but still your change may never be shared with other users unless you buy a new map.

Also of course it is only the first five items on the first page that have any effect.

A common easy to use correction website I suspect may be easier and as a bonus the first three users to report a missing item could get points reducing the cost of their next map upgrade (once object/error has been verified).

Also less chance of 2 years in prison when you try and mark an error while you are driving Smile

HummerUK
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking to the converted here...
We are all pretty unimpressed by the miserable implementation of Map Share, and cross at how TT are "bigging it up" to be something it isn't.

Add the fact we are all unpaid scouts for them now, and that they will then ask us to pay for what we've told them.... Evil or Very Mad

Have you sent the same feelings to TT on their feedback form?

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=map+share&FID=7252
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation would be slightly less outrageous if TT were not making such a big thing of it. But they're pushing it really hard on Telly and on radio (I woke to it on Classic FM on my radio alarm this morning). The full marketing blurb about getting up to date maps every day from zillions of TT users!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I woke to it on Classic FM on my radio alarm this morning).

Not TMC as well Wink
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else get the idea that the marketing department doesn't know that MapShare and traffic updates are different functions? Mad
That TV add where the roadworks are added to MapShare really Censored
Brodit ProClip mount
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's give TomTom a little bit of credit; though the implementation isn't all it's cracked up to be (give it time to evolve; keep in mind this is a first effort) the idea of real-time updates on your own unit is pretty revolutionary for the industry. Being able to share them with other users on a daily basis is even better. I'm sure the second generation of this software will be vastly improved and more capable, but you need to get something like this to market before you can fully understand the volume and type of errors you can expect to see. It's not perfect, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

As for not being able to make major changes to the underlying geometry, the logistics of that type of patch file are a bit daunting. It's one thing to change the attribution of the base vector data by assigning new values based on a specific segment identifier; it's quite a different thing to try to alter that raw vector data. To change a 4-way intersection to a roundabout requires changes to the vector data, naming, one-way, road class, etc. Do I trust the average user to get all that correct in one shot? No. I'd rather wait another 6-12 months and have TomTom/Tele Atlas verify it and make all sure the entire change is implemented correctly.

At least the feedback can be used as both lead detection of changes, and prioritization of those changes based on the number of users reporting the change. Let's face it, a change in a major metro area affects a much higher number of users and should rightly be fixed before the 100 meter addressing disrecpency in your residential area that affects you, maybe a couple of neighbors, and those coming to visit you.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted I would not expect a roundabout to appear instantly but they should have put the mechanism in place so once they have validated the change / error correction in their data that the change could be downloaded to our devices via tomtom home - say within seven days for one on a 'A' road.

Or will it be the case that we will ALL be expected to buy yet another tomtom (perhaps with bluetooth that works and no free viruses) that can handle maps that can accept small changes to the map data e.g. a roundabout?

HummerUK
RoverReg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:
Granted I would not expect a roundabout to appear instantly but they should have put the mechanism in place so once they have validated the change / error correction in their data that the change could be downloaded to our devices via tomtom home - say within seven days for one on a 'A' road.

Or will it be the case that we will ALL be expected to buy yet another tomtomHummerUK

HummerUK you sound like a very sensible person. With the right outlook on the problem of map updates.

I'm now looking to buy my 4th GPS and a 920 is a strong contender.

I bought my 1st GPS over 11 years ago and soon connected it to my Psion 3a. Later with a Psion 5 computer, I ran the original TomTom (before they thought of that brand name) software called Enroute.

When I first noticed that the map data was wrong I started to report the errors. But next update and they weren't there!

It would have been easy then to update the map by using the track log.

But thinking about it- why should a mapping company spend time and a lot of money to update maps. Us mugs will buy the next update, with or without good updating, hoping to get current data - but it never is.

What is realy needed is an equivalent to the GNU General Public License for software. Then thousands of folk would keep map data up-to-date.

TomTom would have a program that would parse the GNU data file and convert it to their format. Garmin and others would have the same available.

But I'm not Father Christmas flying through the air to deliver.

Reg
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using SATNAV's since before they were SatNav's Smile

My first GPS, a Garmin would only get a fix in London from the middle of Hyde Park. So insensitive and of course no maps.

I have had since then GPSIII, GPSV, Nuvi, Nuvi 360, Streetpilot 2610, TT 300, TT 910 and now the TT 520.

I only got the 520 for the Map Share feature before I realised it would work on my 910 with my current upgraded inaccurate maps.

Now I realise that Map Share is just a load of marketing hype making all of us provide map errors at our expense which we can then hope are on the next maps we buy from TT. I assume unlike Garmin at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/mappingsolutions that you cannot check a map for errors before you buy.

The 520 is neater than the old 910 and with no hard drive should take more bumps without suffering electronic damage.

It's dash mount however is so primitive and in less than good light trying to plug the USB power cord can be tricky.

I regret buying my 520, add on kit (case, charger, mount), another mobile phone to try and cure the buzz, years sub to traffic/cameras, 4Gb SDHC card when my 910 could do it all with a remote control and better dash mount.

HummerUK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: