Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The usual what to buy Navman F10??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The usual what to buy Navman F10??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ora8i
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: The usual what to buy Navman F10?? Reply with quote

Firstly thanks for looking at this I know how frustrating the nubi's posts are Laughing

On the 22Oct costco will be doing a Navman F10 for £94 inc vat this looks like a good price BUT I have been able to find out nothing about the F10!

What extras will I need to buy? So far I have identified

PC connectivity kit
    some other software I've seen mentioned.

Is there anything else?

Do I get new maps by download or by buying them on chips/cards?

I do want full postcode search and a "wish list feature" (not required but nice Smile ) to be able to free drive up to a building/farm/whatever and discover it's post code.

Are there any good alternatives with lower running costs or come with PC connections and software?

Is it better to have a unit with downloading maps or maps on cards?

Is there a good primer I can read to bring me up to speed?

Thanks again for looking at my questions.

Best regards Ora
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F10 is an entry level unit. Navman have just released the S series, so going by past practice, the F series is now obsolete.

Don't let this put you off.
The F10 is a good unit. Has full postcode and 2006 maps (I think).

It won't do "off road", so you need to be on a recognised road for it to be useful. This is the same as every other PND on the market.

Maps updates- personally I say don't bother - a typical map update charge is £99. Think of the F10 as being free hardware when you buy the maps and you have got a good picture of what the hardware is worth.

When the maps are so out of date they are useless (closer to 10 years from now than the 1 year the marketing departments will have you believe), sell, give away or otherwise retire the F10 (or whatever you buy) and get a new one, with all the new bells and whistles, and you will have more idea what features are important to you. Lots of people will happily tell you whats important, but forget to add the "to me" at the end.

If you want lots of 'nice to have' features, then look at spending more. If you have a budget to stick to this is a good price for a good, entry level, unit.

Decide if the following are important to you,a nd how much you are prepared to pay to get it.

Speed Camera warnings and other Custom POIs
Navpix
Real time Traffic updates
Mobil Phone conectivity (hands free etc)
Text to speech (so the unit can say "turn rigth in 300 feet into fred st", rather than just "turn right in 300 feet"
MP3 player

I am sure there are other bells and whistles, that many will be able to comment on.
Ora8i
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert.

Thanks for the review.

Ora
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F20 is previous generation unit released with N-series. F10 is new unit -- check out this AVForums thread.

You can see how F20 looks like on Navman's site here; at the moment you can see how F10 looks like only from Google cache here if you're quick, before it disappears from cache.
mack4165
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i phoned navman europe asked bout new f10 sent through the paper work 2007 maps 3.5 inch touch screen intelligent day night display preloaded safety camera data - free trial
size= 79 h-110 w-20 d
weight
156 grams
processor 400 mhz
memory-256 internal flash memory 32mb sdram
battery -up to 4 half hours life
software -2008 navigation software
poi- v
voice guided instructions
multiple route options
improved address search
8- digit post code
3d moving map
2d map
tele atlas map data 2007.4
in the box car charger mounting bracket it also gives you 2 parts no but what they r ?? who nos
looks like a good bit of kit i have seen 1 out on display in costco black in colour i have spoke to navman this if a new budget version not obsolete if you phone them they will send you the details i got mine within 3 days so cant beet that well hope this helps yous that are looking to buy it ill deff be getting mine
MNB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details about the Navman F10 can be found at:
http://www.navman.com/Navman/Templates/productinformation____69937.aspx

You can also access the user guide through this sight.
sydneykiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Navigate well clear of this one Reply with quote

I have had the F10 software lock on me 3 times in the last 2 months and they won't take the unit back. They want me to diagnose the problem further before they will repair it. Tom Tom, here I come.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: