Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Known 520/720 Faults
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Known 520/720 Faults
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Known 520/720 Faults Reply with quote

handsfree (buzzing microphone, but some do work)
battery life (most get no more than 1hr 45min)
voice recording (intermittent)
difficult to read, road on now.
TomTom Home Virtual GO. (XULRunner)
Computer voice distortion when battery low.
UK 'Help Me' POI missing for Police,Doctor, Dentist,Pharmacy.
Noisy FM transmitter. (some better than others)

Any more?
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street edit not working on mine(edits on map ok but does not show in street list). TomTom says thats normal until they verify edit!

loss of all sound if call comes in on phone while on route and needs a factory reset to restore(loss of all my settings).

Very very low volume for phone calls and also warnings.

Street name you are on does not have a backgound border(hard to see the name on the map).

You need to disable bluetooth to connect to TomTom Home 2.

Spoken address a bit hit and miss.
tunne1rat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard about Vista being an issue with the 720 so I was a little reluctant to connect it to my vista pc. Everything seemed fine for a while then I got an error message 'there might be a problem with some files or folders'. Now every time I connect my Go720 to my pc the go's software gets corrupted.
I am now on my third 720! After the first one, I decided to make a backup of the second one straight out of the box. Unfortunatly my pc corrupted the device before i could get a backup! Third time lucky, I connected to a different pc running XP. All has been well so far!
Tomtoms response to this is-
'I have discussed this with our second level and feel that this is could well be Vista related.
There are numerous known challenges with Vista at the moment and Microsoft are shortly to release a service pack.
For the good order we suggest that you have your point of sale replace the item under the DOA ( dead on arrival ) proceedure and once this has been done please use XP until MS have released updates for Vista.
With Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team'

So there you have it... Use Vista at your own risk!
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. High streets always announced as High Street Colliers.
2. Audible books cannot be stored on SD card.
THXTEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBt wrote:
2. Audible books cannot be stored on SD card.

Has anyone managed to playback MP3 files from a memory card?

I've tried copying the files directly onto the card but with no success and I can't see an option to install on to the memory card in TomTom Home (1.6 or 2).

If someone can point me in the right direction (no pun intended) as I may be missing something.

Cheers!

THXTEX
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of mp3 audio files stored on SD card and the device is quite happy to use it, the mp3 files MUST be placed in to a folder named mp3 (note no capital letters), when the device boots up it will find the music files when you select the TT Jukebox - Mike
THXTEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have plenty of mp3 audio files stored on SD card and the device is quite happy to use it, the mp3 files MUST be placed in to a folder named mp3 (note no capital letters), when the device boots up it will find the music files when you select the TT Jukebox - Mike

I'll have another go - btw, do you know if I have to load all the MP3's into that one mp3 directory or can it handle subdirectories too?

Thanks for the advice. I must have had it a MP3 (caps) directory when I tried last night...

Cheers!
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The continual loss of text to speech warning sounds when using third party speed cam files. Very annoying.
THXTEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - I've tried a different memory card! This time a Sandisk 256mb and it works - I wonder if there's issues with the Intergral 1GB???

However, it works with other stuff.

Will order another card and try that!
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: SD Memory Card Reply with quote

I am using 4GB MyMemory SD Card with no problems. Put Carpenters on as 4 CDs and handled the Directories as Albums fine. We had issues with reliability of Integral, and now use Peak in their place. Even so, a 2GB card suddenly became one 1GB. Do not come much more reliable than Sandisk. Has anyone tried an 8GB high speed card in 720? I know the HC cards do not work, but I do not know about the HS ones. Sorry if a bit off-topic.
I am VERY pleased with my 720
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THXTEX wrote:
mikealder wrote:

I'll have another go - btw, do you know if I have to load all the MP3's into that one mp3 directory or can it handle subdirectories too?

Thanks for the advice. I must have had it a MP3 (caps) directory when I tried last night...

Cheers!

I used TomTom Home to put complete CD's onto the SD Card, It will install them as a directory of the Artists Name with a sub directory of the CD's Album Name, if you have multiple CD's by the same Artist they will each be a sub directory by album title.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The splitting into subdirectories and the viewing of Artist/Album/Song are all done using the metadata tags in the mp3 files (so a song title is not necessarily the same as the filename).

This works fine on the whole, but I have SOME files where it refuses to name the band correctly or won't show all the tracks under an album heading but will do in the the song list.

Its all very confusing and I've not got to the bottom of it yet!

(You can view/edit the tags in iTunes and view them in Windows Explorer).
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
The splitting into subdirectories and the viewing of Artist/Album/Song are all done using the metadata tags in the mp3 files (so a song title is not necessarily the same as the filename).

I was referring complete CD's of which I have over 15,000 on the PC the incorrect or missing tags are edited/corrected by using a free program called ID3-TagIT available from here http://www.id3-tagit.de/english/index.htm

Andy_P2002 wrote:
This works fine on the whole, but I have SOME files where it refuses to name the band correctly or won't show all the tracks under an album heading but will do in the the song list.

Its all very confusing and I've not got to the bottom of it yet!

(You can view/edit the tags in iTunes and view them in Windows Explorer).

If you import them into Windows media player V11 you can actually update the information from an online database.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give those two a try, but I can also edit the tags in iTunes, which I've done, so I don't know why it hates certain artistes.

For example: I have installed two complete albums by Green Day. They were ripped using iTunes and display in the iTunes library correctly. All the "Artist" and "Album" tags look right for every track.

On the "playlist" page they appear correctly as a folder called "Green Day" containing the 2 folders "American Idiot" (with 13 tracks) and "Warning" (with 9 tracks).
However, in "Artist" There is no "Green Day", but there is an artist called "E1" and another called "Q*".

"E1" has an album called "American Idiot" but it contains only one track.
"Q*" ALSO has an album called "American Idiot". It also contains only one track, but a different one!
There's no mention of the other album, "Warning".

In "Album" I just had "American Idiot" appearing TWICE, "Warning" not appearing at all and the list not alphabetical, but by exiting and re-entering the menu, it comes good.

All the tracks show up OK in the "Song" menu.

The funniest thing is that the TomTom doesn't like another band called "Tom Tom Club"!
Two individual tracks by them (from the same album) are split into two artist categories "Tom Tom CluK" and "Tom Tom Cluq", both of which have an entry for the same Album with one of the tracks in each.

Now do you see why I'm confused? Crying
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, your problem has to be how you have the CD's on your PC.
Have just imported my Green Day directory onto the SD Card on my 720.
In Juke Box if I select Play List
In play list it shows Green Day
In Green Day it lists the albums as
1,039-Smoothed Out Slappy Hour
American Idiot
Bullet In A Bible
Dookie
Insomniac
International Super Hits
Kerplunk!
Nimrod
Warning

If I select Artist, Green Day it lists them all correctly.
If I select Album it list every CD on the SD card
If I select Song it lists every track on the SD Card

All I can say Andy is that Every CD I obtain from what ever source ond store on the PC I always load them first into ID3-TagIT and check/correct all the information relating to that CD like Artist, Album Name, Composer, Year, Gene etc. When everything is correct it updates the CD, I then use Windows Media play to import the CD then when it is in Media Player use the Update Album Information which will finally add any information or fields missing from the online Database.
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: