Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 21% saying their father drove too fast.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

21% saying their father drove too fast.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
£250 excess :-
October 2002 £1,198.65
October 2003 £1,062.10
October 2004 £1,062.10
October 2005 £1371.99 (including the deer stew - some laugh, Mr Happy!)
October 2006 £1,118.61

Love it, keep it up, give them the money, all this extra cash in the insurance company vaults, will keep them happy and my premium down.
Laughing Will go up for illegal deer hunting. Laughing

8O As for the "Black Dyke Mills Brass Band" who are they?
Embarassed Could say, but wouldn't be PC. Wink
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I'm not sure if the police still do it but many years ago I was told, when chatting to a police officer, they used 3rd gear when chasing criminals, as it gave them better acceleration and added braking without having to keep going up and down the gears.

In a built up area we use third gear all the time. It gives far more flexibility, i.e. more engine braking and quicker to accelerate out of danger if required (or if some tea leaf makes off in his twoc'd car).

We were always told on Police driving courses, to use your brakes to slow yourself down, get your speed right for each hazzard, then select the right gear for that speed, always manitain a constant speed round corners to as to keep the car balanced. It's all geared to high speed driving, but once you get used to doing it, it becomes second nature.

Oh yes, and brake pads are far easier and cheaper to replace than clutch plates !!

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
...Oh yes, and brake pads are far easier and cheaper to replace than clutch plates !!

Apparently it's also safer to keep both hands on the steering wheel whilst breaking.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Apparently it's also safer to keep both hands on the steering wheel whilst breaking.

Apparently ? I don't think there is any doubt !!

BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It's like this dear - look at which way the bend is going, then grab the steering wheel with both hands, one each side like this guy,Driving then lower the hand which is at the same side as where the bend is going to. When you've finished bending, return your hands to where they were before you started (making sure you take the steering wheel with them). :D

Dennis, please don't call me 'dear' - it makes me feel unsafe around you after reading your latest psignature. :D ;-)

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo thanks for confirming the Police still use 3rd gear. My brain cells are not all dead, thank goodness.

Quote:
We were always told on Police driving courses, to use your brakes to slow yourself down, get your speed right for each hazzard, then select the right gear for that speed, always manitain a constant speed round corners to as to keep the car balanced. It's all geared to high speed driving, but once you get used to doing it, it becomes second nature.

I do it in a slightly different order. I adjust my speed for the hazard, change down if necessary, and brake should the need arise.

I believe if people look far enough ahead then any hazard should be noticed long before they get there, first take foot off accelerator (wrong word really it should be called speed adjuster), then when reaching an acceptable speed for the a lower gear, change down. When they get to know their vehicle well they should actually be able to judge the distance and only use brakes for the final stop. What's best, a gradual reduction in speed or slamming the brakes on at the last moment?

Also what is best when stopping in snowy or icy conditions, using the brakes only or changing down coupled with a gentle touch on the brake pedal?

Quote:
Oh yes, and brake pads are far easier and cheaper to replace than clutch plates !!
That's true but if you add the cost of replacing tyres because of the extra wear and tear through braking only, the cost isn't that much different.

A car or two back I had a Peugeot 405 and covered 103000 miles. During that time I had a new set of front tyres at 38000 and a full set at 78000. I replaced my front pads at just over 60000 miles. The original clutch was still going strong when I sold it. So care when driving can really save money, that's without taking into account the extra fuel consuption. :P [/quote]

Someone mentioned a box of matches under the back wheel on hill starts. My instructor, built like a wrestler, told me he put his cigarettes under my back wheel and said me he would be really upset if he couldn't have a 'fag' later and would give me a good 'seeing to'. The worst driver in the world would have done a perfect hill start in those conditions.

Finally, the programme on TV with Jo Brand and the 'oldies' She was a bit smug when only one person managed to reverse into the gap between two parked cars. Not suprising really as they were unfamiliar with the vehicle they were given. I would like to have see Jo Brand attempt the same manoeuvre in the car the 'oldies' used. I would also have liked to see her hold the steering wheel correctly with her left hand, especially when she removed her right had from the wheel. And she forgot to put her seat belt on just before driving off at the end of the programme.

(I'll give someone else a chance to air the views now). Smile
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
That's true but if you add the cost of replacing tyres because of the extra wear and tear through braking only, the cost isn't that much different.

If the car is decelerating, either by braking or by changing down gears, forces are still sending more of the weight of the car onto the front end and therefore wearing the front tyres marginally more than by plain deceleration. That is simple physics. Harsh braking on the other hand will have an adverse effect on tyre wear, but harsh braking = bad planning.

We are taught to use 'acceleration sense' wherever possible, which is basically speeding up or slowing down using only the accelerator, not using the brake where possible unless it is necessary. I can give you an apparently simple task to try the next time you are in your car to try out.....

When you enter a built up area (30mph) from a national speed limit area, try to pick a point, whilst you are doing 60 and using only the accelerator (or lack of it) but remaining in the gear you were in, and not dipping the clutch, enter the 30mph limit at exactly 30 as indicated by your speedo.

This is something we have to do repeatedly on our courses and you get a slap if you can't do it.

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Quote:
When you enter a built up area (30mph) from a national speed limit area, try to pick a point, whilst you are doing 60 and using only the accelerator (or lack of it) but remaining in the gear you were in, and not dipping the clutch, enter the 30mph limit at exactly 30 as indicated by your speedo.

This is something we have to do repeatedly on our courses and you get a slap if you can't do it.

I have tried this many times, with different situations, road conditions etc, i still can't get it accurately every time, although normally fairly near. It must be difficult to judge it right in the courses.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I have tried this many times, with different situations, road conditions etc, i still can't get it accurately every time, although normally fairly near. It must be difficult to judge it right in the courses.

It is difficult and sometimes impossible. It's relatively easy if you do it in a town or village you drive to every day. Try in on a road you have never been on before entering a place you have never been to and don't know until you get there, where the 30 sign is !!

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to discus: When parking do you leave in gear or out of gear? I drive a manual and I always leave it in gear as a precaution.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Quote:
When parking do you leave in gear or out of gear?

After having a car move on a hill (luckily the wheels ran into the kerb) many years ago, for aprox 30 years now i have always left my car in first gear, as well as the handbrake. Its now second nature, so I don't even think about it.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always in gear. It depends on the car. Some old Saabs in particular used to have handbrakes acting on their front discs. If not applied fully, the discs would cool and contract, then releasing the handbrake. I assume that's why they had their ignition system which locked the car in reverse before you could take the key out.

Actually it's a parking brake these days as some handbrakes are actually applied by the foot...think Lexus or Mercedes.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Something else to discus: When parking do you leave in gear or out of gear? I drive a manual and I always leave it in gear as a precaution.

Regards,

Mine's a manual and I also always leave it in gear.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like CGF I try to drive that way, not always possible maybe because of going down hill but the raised crossing outside the school on my road, I manage to get down from 30 to a comfortable 20mph or below every time, but I know the point when to lift off.

I'll try what you suggest, although I don't get much engine braking in 5th when I get below 45mph, so I'll probably fail, and my engine doesn't like it, so I'd have to cheat and change down to 4th.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I'll try what you suggest, although I don't get much engine braking in 5th when I get below 45mph, so I'll probably fail, and my engine doesn't like it, so I'd have to cheat and change down to 4th.

There's the problem. An advanced driver would never be in 5th at 45mph. Wink

In fact on our courses (and I know this is not the real world) we would be well over 100mph before we got into 5th.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: