Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ITIS Traffic Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIS Traffic Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonfo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to now post a finalised list of the radio stations we will be using to extend our TMC Coverage. These will run alongside our existing network of stations, which incorporate Classic FM, and Real Radio Yorkshire. And additionally in Scotland, Clyde 1, Forth FM, Moray Firth Radio, North Sound Radio, Radio Borders, Tay FM and West Sound Radio. The expected "go live" date for these stations will be 1st January 2008.

Station FX MHz Area
Smooth London, 102.2, London
Smooth Manchester, 100.4, North West England
Century Radio, 101.8, North East England
Century Radio, 100.7, North East England
Century Radio, 96.4, Hexham
Century Radio, 96.2, Fenham
Century 105, 105.4, North West England
Smooth, 106.6, East Midlands
Smooth, 105.7, West Midlands
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Wish FM, 102.4, Wigan
Wire FM, 107.2, Warrington
Signal 1, 102.6, South Cheshire
Signal 1, 96.4, South Cheshire
Signal 1, 96.9, South Cheshire
CFM, 102.5, Penrith
CFM, 102.2, West Cumbria
CFM, 103.4, West Cumbria
CFM, 96.4, Carlisle
Kiss 100 FM, 100.0, London
Magic 105.4 FM, 105.4, London
Kiss 101, 101.0, Severn Estuary
Kiss 101, 97.2, Bristol
Kiss 105-108, 107.7, Peterborough
Kiss 105-108, 106.1, Norwich
Kiss 105-108, 106.4, Ipswich
Kiss 105-108, 105.6, Cambridge
Wave 105 FM, 105.8, Poole
Wave 105 FM, 105.2, Solent
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonfo wrote:
I am happy to now post a finalised list of the radio stations we will be using to extend our TMC Coverage. These will run alongside our existing network of stations, which incorporate Classic FM, and Real Radio Yorkshire. And additionally in Scotland, Clyde 1, Forth FM, Moray Firth Radio, North Sound Radio, Radio Borders, Tay FM and West Sound Radio. The expected "go live" date for these stations will be 1st January 2008.

Station FX MHz Area
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Wish FM, 102.4, Wigan
CFM, 102.5, Penrith
CFM, 102.2, West Cumbria
CFM, 103.4, West Cumbria
CFM, 96.4, Carlisle
Kiss 101, 97.2, Bristol

That's quite a comprehensive coverage list. But I see that there isn't much extra coverage for the south east of England including Surrey/Hampshire and Sussex.

I wonder if the Kiss 100 FM and Magic 105.4 FM data will be received in areas outside of London (Surrey for example) where it is possible to pick up the FM broadcasts.

The problem I have is that despite being able to receive Classic FM radio transmissions without a problem I can't receive the TMC data in a number of major urban areas in the south/south east of England.

Recently when I was in Cumbria I saw, on a number of occasions, the fact that Smooth FM was being picked up. I haven't seen a similar test signal (if that's what it was) for Kiss FM and Magic FM.

I notice that in parts of South Wales iTIS uses a local radio station to transmit the data (I can't remember the name of the station but the services works very well).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, Many thanks for the heads up and comprehensive frequency list, this is sligthly larger than I was anticipating to be honest!
I will add in the transmitter locations / power levels later tonight, but this could take some time with over 30 to work through.

Would it be possible to inform the forum as each of these stations are brought on line or do you anticipate a ''Grand Switch On'' for the beginning of next year?

This network coverage increase coupled with the recent TomTom revised RDS receiver should go a long way to improve reception for a great many users, the Navman receiver is already as good as the revised TT product IMHO (actually as it is equipped with the external aerial socket the Navman receiver is still ahead in terms of true flexibility) so users of that range of devices have encountered good reception in the UK for some time. I agree reception is never going to be 100% but this is a step in the right direction - Mike
Jonfo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
I notice that in parts of South Wales iTIS uses a local radio station to transmit the data (I can't remember the name of the station but the services works very well).

We also use the Real Radio Stations in Wales. These seem to have dropped off my initial list.
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news indeed, but like others, I see little coverage, still, in some areas. I would welcome clarification, for example, of the "West Midlands" (Smooth Radio). Which transmitter(s) (repeaters) will that involve? The main transmitter in the area is Sutton Coldfield which already broadcasts the TMC signal on Classic FM. Since (we are told) the signal strength is the same for all stations broadcast from a single transmitter, how would adding the signal to another station on the same transmitter (if that will be the case) improve reception?

There are repeater stations, for example, at Malvern and Kidderminster, both of which are also originating stations for Local Radio (BBC Hereford & Worcester and Wyvern FM - (owned by the same people as Classic FM, I believe)) The Malvern one in particular, from it's elevated position on the Malvern Hills, gives coverage to a large part of the Severn Valley and the M5 and would be a very useful transmitter to broadcast from.

I have no technical knowledge - these are just thoughts - but I'de be interested in the answers.
Eeeps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonfo wrote:
Station FX MHz Area
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Wish FM, 102.4, Wigan
CFM, 102.5, Penrith
CFM, 102.2, West Cumbria
CFM, 103.4, West Cumbria
CFM, 96.4, Carlisle
Kiss 101, 97.2, Bristol

That must be (at least) a doubling of the number of transmitters. Can you give us an idea of the TMC AF assignment for each. I guess this is key to maintaining a constant data stream to a receiver in a mobile situation.

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might illustrate the new transmitters and make it easier to see where they are, the ones in red are currently in use, the green ones are the new ones - Mike

beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there will still be large swathes of the country with minimal coverage then. The southwest, south west midlands, mid/north wales all jump out as being rather sparse. Oh well, still a step in the right the direction I suppose. Neutral
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had confirmation from Smooth that the west Midlands will be covered by Sutton Coldfield transmitter. So same power and location as the Classic FM transmission. Will it therefore improve coverage in the area?

I don't know ..... Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of transmitters within the list that ae used by more than one radio station, WnterHill will be transmitting on 100.4 Smooth FM and 105.4 Centuary FM, The Croyden transmitter is also used by two London based stations (I cannot remember which ones from memory though).

It might be different radio stations will transmitt the RDS data a different tims, it is also quite probable the different stations will have different patterns of coverage, not all transmitters radiate in a true circular fashion. - Mike
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There are a number of transmitters within the list that ae used by more than one radio station, WnterHill will be transmitting on 100.4 Smooth FM and 105.4 Centuary FM, The Croyden transmitter is also used by two London based stations (I cannot remember which ones from memory though).

It might be different radio stations will transmitt the RDS data a different tims, it is also quite probable the different stations will have different patterns of coverage, not all transmitters radiate in a true circular fashion. - Mike

Possibly, but there are legitimate questions about coverage. TM uses a network of local stations and, even then, there are areas not enjoying coverage.

I am a bit disappointed that iTIS isn't going to use a more comprehensive network of local stations.
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean about patterns of coverage, Mike. But if, for example it is possible to pick up the Classic FM signal from Sutton Coldfield, say, 15 miles away, I imagine we might only be talking about an extra mile (or one less!) for Smooth. It actuallly seems a bit pointless to duplicate on the transmitters.

Still, as I said, I have no technical knowledge so maybe it actually makes lots of sense and I just don't understand! Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect considerably more range from the Sutton Coalfield transmitter than 15 miles or so. The main Classic FM transmission from this mast is listed at 250KW so the new RDS-TMC unit from TomTom should be capable of picking up a signal from around 60 miles away - the Navman T1 will work just as well IMHO.

My devices can work with the Classic FM broadcast from Home Moss which is 250KW and located around 60 miles from my home - I appreciate local terain will have a bearing on this, the newer receivers are much better at picking out the signal and working with it - Mike
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 miles is about what I get with my "old" antenna From Sutton Coldfield. I have no idea about how the new one will perform because I am still waiting for my box from Tom Tom' almost 2 weeks after filling in my details on their web site (i.e., well be fore the postal strike).

I will interested, too, to see how it improves reception from Blunsdon, near Swindon. This is a low power transmission and currently I only get a signal within 1 mile! (though once the signal is acquired, the unit hangs onto it as I drive away for about 3 miles).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will notice a significant change in reception with the new receiver, this one simply works in areas previously devoid of signals. You still get the occasional orange ball rather than a green indication, all this means is the device is tuning though and once it finds a station transmitting RDS data it locks and receives information very quickly. For an idea of what the new unit looks like see my post Here - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: