Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Classy, we respect your point but can you stop now!

Please! Sad

It's ok, mikealder should be along soon to remove his posts for being off-topic.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a short run yesterday on the M3 I was accually happy to see several police patrols on route. At 70mph I had a pleasant and uneventful run and only pushed the limit a couple of times to over take slower traffic. Even though the cameras were there I wasn't bothered about any hidden mobile locations.

More interestingly there is a temporary specs system on a slow section just after the M25 to M3 turn off of the M3, which now has a marked improvment in flow of traffic. One occation when I can honestly say cameras seem to be helping. Not for speeding but traffic flow, go figure!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
I am not afraid to admit that I am a Traffic Officer

As a Traffic Officer, I don't suppose you could help with this subject:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55411
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
mostdom wrote:
Classy, we respect your point but can you stop now!

Please! Sad

It's ok, mikealder should be along soon to remove his posts for being off-topic.

Your post is a fine example of what I was trying to explain to GPS_Fan!

The only contribution that you have made to this topic is the smarmy comment above, why, because I object to speeding?

After all I am not the only one who according to people like yourself who have drifted off topic, but I am the only one opposed to speeding.

Mmmmm anyone else see a pattern developing? (no, thought not :D )

To old to die young.

Last edited by classy56 on Tue May 22, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I would like to state that this topic has gone so far off subject that I am continuing where it last left off and will pick up my “red card” at the finish.

Without Prejudice.

classy56 wrote:
Quote:
And you still think i'm wrong

It’s not whether you are right or wrong, it’s your constant going on about you stating that the speed limit is exactly what is required and not a fraction of a mile over, we are not robot’s and some flexibility is required.

Quote:
People just can't seem to accept my points, ok they may be wrong is one reason,

I think the answer is in here, you are always right and others are at fault.
Do you ever admit you could be wrong?
Chill out a bit and try and see the car drivers view point instead of sitting up in the air in your spacious bus and looking down on us.

We haven’t yet reached a stage where cars are governed by a means of total computerised speed control, so until then it’s down to human intervention and all the different methods and interpretations responding around the individual acting as “controller”.

It is very easy to apply when you drive a bus, it is not so responsive to a “tickle” on the accelerator as a car, so more controllable around the lower speed limits and with a limiter keeps you within the motorway max speeds.
You stated that you don’t own a car, so having a more “responsible” vehicle to drive, governed for safety, makes it easier for you to keep within required speeds, with the addition of 50+ lives behind you keeps you even more on your toes.

As a motorist you are expected by the surrounding cars to at least keep to the required speed, slow down and you get road rage, or “nicked” for going too slow, go to the inside lanes you get intimidated by a bus or lorry, living next to three ports, I can assure you that lorries and coaches driving in convoy’s a few feet a part by is rife in Kent, they have sometimes been so long with no gaps that I have lost a turning.

In “normal” driving you find yourself “teetering” around the maximum speed limit on all roads during peak times, this leaves you constantly viewing the speedo rather than the surrounding road and any further hassle such as looking for mobiles along the road and over bridge’s, just waiting for that extra 1mph over the guided line so they can “nab” you, makes driving a nervous chore rather than a pleasure.

All that is being argued is that with speed cameras, as they are a machine, they are a very black and white issue, not taking into account road conditions, time of day or weather, and mobile vans, which may now have a more useful added function such as catching drivers on the phone and tax or insurance dodgers, has been primarily used to generate an income for the split second you can lose concentration.
Now there is the threat of mobiles “possibly” going in the more obscure places, the motorist has to spend even more time looking at the clock rather than the road.

I have driven for 39 years and in that time, have seen the roads change dramatically, I must also admit, that although I regard myself as a good driver, my test in the 1960’s has no bearing on today’s roads and driving, a large amount of today’s rules didn’t even exist then.

I too have recently looked at the advanced test but having a 7 day a week job find it almost impossible to fit it in, I for one wouldn’t complain if re-testing at different ages became law, but I also feel that the skills required to pass today’s test have become a joke, some drivers “skills” are so bad I don’t know how they passed their test.

I personally feel that although you often have a good point you aren’t particularly tactful and alienate others in you arrogant replies.
Lets keep the discussion on a more relaxed position (assuming this thread doesn’t get locked) the fact that we have 12 pages in 5 day’s, mostly off the original question, just shows as to how many have been upset on the comments stated.

I wish that 999tommo and others like him at more of a say in Policing, as although it is not his or his colleague’s fault the Police at top level (or maybe more accurately the politicians) have without a doubt, lost the plot.
I have often driven from one side of the country (Wales to Kent) and not seen a single police vehicle.

Sorry my post has got so boring; I will now leave and collect my red card.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
On a short run yesterday on the M3 I was accually happy to see several police patrols on route. At 70mph I had a pleasant and uneventful run and only pushed the limit a couple of times to over take slower traffic. Even though the cameras were there I wasn't bothered about any hidden mobile locations.

More interestingly there is a temporary specs system on a slow section just after the M25 to M3 turn off of the M3, which now has a marked improvment in flow of traffic. One occation when I can honestly say cameras seem to be helping. Not for speeding but traffic flow, go figure!

I travelled from SE London slap bang in the evening rush hour via M25 and M3 to Dorset and both motorways were clearer than I have seen them at 4am!!
(in my direction)

To old to die young.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
I travelled from SE London slap bang in the evening rush hour via M25 and M3 to Dorset

Is my map out of date? With my map, the M3 only goes as far as Southampton, which used to be in Hampshire Laughing and I've oly just downloaded it.

Yes, pedantic is my middle name. Damn, more expense on new maps and road atlases on top of the 'outrageous' £2 for PGPSW Laughing Laughing

I think that the very reason these cameras ease the flow of traffic is that they keep the speed more constant and reduce the speed up, slow down effect. In doing this, they also improve safety because you're less likely to see brake lights in front of you.

If there were fewer middle lane and outside lane hoggers, then these roads would instantly increase from one or two lanes to the three lanes they were designed for (except for the two lane stretch of the M3, of course), without any additional funding requirements.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
...were clearer than I have seen them at 4am!!
(in my direction)

I found this in both directions yesterday. Wouldn't know about the am rush though. Just stay away on b/holiday monday!

bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
bmuskett wrote:

Your post is a fine example of what I was trying to explain to GPS_Fan!

The only contribution that you have made to this topic is the smarmy comment above

I suggest you read through the thread again to find my on-topic contribution to the discussion.

classy56 wrote:
, why, because I object to speeding?

To be honest no. I don't mind you objecting to speeding at all. It's because of the sanctimonious way you go about it.

Last edited by bmuskett on Tue May 22, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, the discussion is NOT about whether it is safe to speed or not, it is NOT about whether person A is safer than person B. it IS supposed to be a discussion about how, if at all, the ability for mobile cameras to now be placed anywhere on any road will affect the PGPSW mobile camera database.

this is the final warning vefore the thread gets locked.

MaFt
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post removed...

MaFt

That makes sense Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.

Last edited by classy56 on Tue May 22, 2007 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
999tommo wrote:
I am not afraid to admit that I am a Traffic Officer

As a Traffic Officer, I don't suppose you could help with this subject:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55411

Sorry GPS Fan, but the link didn't work. Can you tell me where this thread is hiding and I will look at it.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Sorry GPS Fan, but the link didn't work. Can you tell me where this thread is hiding and I will look at it.

Non-Tecnical Speed Camera Discussions. look for Red light Camera Conundrum.

Odd, that link worked for me!

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when it's black text on a white background, it's a lot more difficult to say "look, mate, this is what I'm actually trying to say"

Exactly. 100% agree. I, and others, have said this on a number of occasions in the past.

Let's all remember we come here to try to get help or to help others, why fight each other unless it's 10 rounds and we are getting paid a decent purse. :P
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
post removed...

MaFt

Spoilsport...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: