Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New version Tomtom maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New version Tomtom maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: New version Tomtom maps Reply with quote

I see there are new UK/Ireland maps announced v6.75. I have a tomtom one V2 with a 256mb sd card. What I can't quite fathom is the new map download is 252mb where as the original maps that came with the tomtom, the folder size is 113mb (map version v660.1199). Why is the new version nearly double that of the previous version? If the whole of UK/Ireland can be contained in 113mb surely updates should not add that much more to the folder size. Can someone explain?
If I therefore want the new version I am also going to have to buy a bigger card, so how big a SD card will the tomtom take to allow ample space for future updates?
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new map (version 6.75) is UK and Ireland plus major roads of Western Europe.

I got my Tomtom One 10 days ago and it came with version 6.60 maps of UK and Ireland only and I emailed Tomtom customer care and complained that my device was only 10 days old and was out of date already. I received an email asking me for the product code and date of purchase.

I later received an email from them saying that the new map (6.75) had been added to my tomotm home account. I connected my One to my PC, fired up "home" and did a check for updates and the new map (and new postcode file) appeared as available downloads. I downloaded them to my PC and then installed them on my device. I had already copied my original SD card's contents onto a 1Gb card, so there was plenty of room.

I'm pretty impressed with customer care as they gave me the new map for free.
MartinT
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did exactly the same except I do not have another SD card to fit the larger maps on.

So off to buy a nice 2GB card to fit that and the US Maps which I will be purchasing next week.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that post, Geoff - it pretty much confirms that TT will supply users with the new maps should they purchase a One at the moment and find that it's on the old version. That's the only thing that's made me a little reluctant to buy a One Europe to replace my PDA with Nav 5, so now that I know it isn't an issue I think I might be doing some shopping this afternoon!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
Thanks for that post, Geoff - it pretty much confirms that TT will supply users with the new maps should they purchase a One at the moment and find that it's on the old version.

I wouldn't be TOO confident yet.
Geoff's is the only success story I've seen so far, and in similar circumstances before, when people have rung and said "you offered this deal to "x" can I have it too?", TT have apparently accused their customers of lying!

I would like to see the offer in black and white on their website first, so you don't have to go through the rigmarole of having to plead for your new maps.
Bursk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to order a ONE v2 this weekend, but it looks like that isn't too good an idea at the moment. What I'm not prepared to do is buy an out of date product.

Will TomTom be supplying units with the new maps to retailers e.g. Dixons, Amazon etc? What usually happens in these circumstances when a map update is released?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by previous experience, thay say nothing, do not recall the boxes in the shops, and try to flog them all off at full price, hoping that no-one will notice.

For those that DO notice and complain, they either a} deny that they ever give free updates (in a rude and condescending, "stock" e-mail reply) or, b} for the lucky few, they DO give out a free map. How you get from a} to b} is a mystery.

Even when the latest versions do start arriving in the shops, TomTom's policy of not giving any indication of the version numbers on the box, means you are still taking a gamble when you go to buy. Evil or Very Mad

Please don't let the above put you off the unit itself, the One is a fabulous bit of kit, just let down by awful customer care.
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the postcode file is better than older one as it is a bit smaller!!
davewhit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys just for the benefit, i have the new map and was not impresed with it at all. Some locations i have found are still the same as the 6.60, like roundabouts still in areas that have had traffic lights for 2-3 years. Some roads that should be there are unamed still. My advise is use the Western Europe maps as they are more up to date that the 6.75 but thats my opinion, any one want to challenge my probs please feal free

dave
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really been anywhere other than around home, to test the new map - I'd be interested to find out of the Western Europe map is in fac any more accurate??

Having said that, I bet it costs a fortune and I heard you need a 2Gb card to use it ??
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on the other forum that the 1Gb Euro v675 is LESS detailed than the v660 but the 2Gb West & Central v675 is better!
davewhit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used the new western europe 6.75 as yet only the 6.75 uk and ire but a few places i have traveled on the western europe map 6.60 are acurate, i.e traffic lights and not roundabouts and named road rather than unamed roads.

But like i said my west europe map is 6.60 so if theres a new western europe map i cannot comment on that yet. Also my 6.60 western europe map uses about 800mb and i still have my uk and ireland map on the 2gd sd card along side it and still have about 700mb spare if this helps.

If i get the new estern europe 6.75 map i will post comments here. Also binman when you say west and central do you mean europe or Uk and Ire 6.75

cheers dave
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davewhit wrote:
Also binman when you say west and central do you mean europe or Uk and Ire 6.75 cheers dave

No, I'm refering to the new West & Central Euro (2Gb) v675 being better but not the West Euro (1Gb) v675 which is less detailed than the West Euro v660.

I haven't yet tried out the UK & IE Plus major roads of W Euro v675 yet.

Is there, in fact, a UK & IE without the Plus v675 as TT does't mention one?
Stamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the e mail from TT today regarding map updates.
I am offered western europe download for $99.
If I put this on my TTv2 regional, will it work, and will the maps be the better ones?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamp wrote:
I had the e mail from TT today regarding map updates.
I am offered western europe download for $99.
If I put this on my TTv2 regional, will it work, and will the maps be the better ones?

You'll need a bigger SD card & from what people are saying, there's LESS detail than previous versions!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: