Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael100 wrote:
just checked it you are right had it zoomed in so it felt like 1:25
the literature says it takes longer when switched on for the first time then I presume it sort of "remembers "where it is
The 1:25 maps are a lot more expensive than the 1: 50 maps so what is the advantage of the 1:25 's ?

i just recieved my national parks north york moors 1:25 map today.i wondered if 1:25 would be worth the extra money,it certainly is the detail is amazing.when u have an sd card in if u zoom out far enough it shows the area of coverage u have on sd card
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael100 wrote:

The 1:25 maps are a lot more expensive than the 1: 50 maps so what is the advantage of the 1:25 's ?

More detailed!! Probably best suited to walkers and offroaders.
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
michael100 wrote:

More detailed!! Probably best suited to walkers and offroaders.

exactly the extra detail comes in really handy wher ur on the moors
michael100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryanwal wrote:
michael100 wrote:
just checked it you are right had it zoomed in so it felt like 1:25
the literature says it takes longer when switched on for the first time then I presume it sort of "remembers "where it is

i just recieved my national parks north york moors 1:25 map today.i wondered if 1:25 would be worth the extra money,it certainly is the detail is amazing.when u have an sd card in if u zoom out far enough it shows the area of coverage u have on sd card

I just tried that and at about a scale of 1000m it seems to change to what I think is the preloaded UK ? map
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Someone give us a decent review!!! Laughing
You will have to wait a while for that, the device is too new to be able to write anything like a meaningful write up
robs1972 wrote:
Did it come in a nice box?
A very nice box, the two draw slider type employed on higher end mobile phones.
robs1972 wrote:
Is it well wrapped?
Well it is sealed in a bag within the box, it is supplied with a decent belt mountable case though with a Velcro secured flap.
robs1972 wrote:
Is it made in China?
I cannot find anything to state where the device is actually manufactured
robs1972 wrote:
Is there a decent user manual or cd?
No CD, the user manual explains the controls and what the functions/ options are for.
robs1972 wrote:
Does it feel well built?
Very well made
robs1972 wrote:
Do the buttons rattle?
No
robs1972 wrote:
Does the screen look easily scratchable (the availability of packs of 3 screen thingies worries me!!)
Not at all, the fact that replacement screens are to be made available is a plus point, if anything they are a sacrificial component if the device is dropped - drop a PDA and expect a hefty repair bill, the active 10 doesn't use a touch screen so it is far less vulnerable to damage.
robs1972 wrote:
Is the screen easy to see in sunlight?
Yes, I used it today in very bright conditions, there is also a back light "Boost" button should you need to brighten the screen at the simple press of a button - very handy.
robs1972 wrote:
What does the base mapping look like?
Usable, but to be honest you need the 50K or 25K scale maps to really get the most from the unit.
robs1972 wrote:
Has it got any good customisable gimmicks like screensavers?
No - it is great at what it does, gimmicks like this would simply waste battery power and are really not required - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

robs1972 wrote:
Does the screen look easily scratchable (the availability of packs of 3 screen thingies worries me!!)
Not at all, the fact that replacement screens are to be made available is a plus point, if anything they are a sacrificial component if the device is dropped - drop a PDA and expect a hefty repair bill, the active 10 doesn't use a touch screen so it is far less vulnerable to damage.

It is a plus point, yes....but when they sell them in packs of 3 it makes you wonder if the screen is a consumable!! Shocked

Thanks for all the other info.
gaznewton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: satmap Reply with quote

Mmm...do they have the map cards and bike mount in yet, though? I may have to give them a ring in the morning.[/quote] I ordered a 1.50k map all uk from pro adventure last friday 19th and it came on wednesday 24th.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...will try them tomorrow...out all day on the bike today.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Someone give us a decent review!!!

Is it well wrapped?
Is it made in China?
Does it feel well built?
Do the buttons rattle?
Is the screen easy to see in sunlight?
What does the base mapping look like?
Has it got any good customisable gimmicks like screensavers?

Just received mine 20mins ago, so you will have to wait....

Quote:
Is it well wrapped?
Is it made in China?
Does it feel well built?
Do the buttons rattle?

First impressions on opening the box and handling the unit is - this is a beautifully boxed “bit of kit”, the feel is of real quality and if it works as good as it looks this is going to be a tool to be proud of.

This first section is 10/10.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

Just received mine 20mins ago, so you will have to wait....

Well you better hurry up cos mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!! Laughing

Ordered mine from Action Outdoors (free postage I believe)....sadly they hadn't had either the bike mount (expected in a couple of weeks!!!) or the South GB map so have ordered them from Satmap.

I bet it rains this weekend!!! Confused
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Satmap shop is up although the link to it on the website still says it's under construction......it includes the details of the areas covered by the region cards

http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/login.php

The National Trails series is not something that interests me but it's odd that the 100 mile Cotswold Way card costs the same as the 320 mile Southwest Coast Path (Falmouth to Poole) at £99 each Shocked

It also says about the Active 10, This product will be in stock on Sunday 11 November, 2007 Shocked Shocked
finkployd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everybody...

So I've been on the list for about five months now. I got a call yesterday asking if I wanted to continue with my order.

When I received the confirmation order I got a 59.99 discount offer. This is complete balls and they won't honour it. It a military discount only and doesn't apply to mortals. The free map card offer mentioned here: http://satmap.com/eshot/index_2.php is also huge monkey balls and not honoured. So all those pre-order people hanging on because they were offered discounts and free cards, forget it. You may as well order from a proper shop.

The battery pack is two-three weeks away and cannot be ordered yet. I was promised the unit by next post (free of charge...thanks) but it still isn't here. No worries, I've waited five months.. another days wait won't matter, but please, SatMap, pull yourselves together. Stop saying that its here next week when this is blatantly not the case.

By all means keep the information flowing this is how great products are made, by involving the 'us'. It's a delicate game... don't mess it up with stupid promises of discounts and delivery, of plethora of stock and components that aren't yet available. This product needs map cards, so from the get go make sure those cards are available to retailers and online.

I think the reason there has been a problem is a critical under-estimation of the desire for such a product. I presume this is a company run by no more than 10-15 people and they've outsourced the important bits like manufacturing, distribution and marketing. each element is probably excellent, its just the joining up that's let them down. They openly acknowledge the delay problem, but also point to this site as having positive reviews. This is very probably the case, but this products birth was at the very least breached.

The hard work starts now. Make this product work... fully launch the web site (shop and product registration). Involve the community, involve this community. the ground swell you've generated is phenomenal...please don't turn it into another hollow promise.

I wish you all the very best. When I receive it I'll write up a few notes...

ta ta

fink
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finkployd wrote:
hello everybody...

So I've been on the list for about five months now. I got a call yesterday asking if I wanted to continue with my order.

When I received the confirmation order I got a 59.99 discount offer. This is complete balls and they won't honour it. It a military discount only and doesn't apply to mortals. The free map card offer mentioned here: http://satmap.com/eshot/index_2.php is also huge monkey balls and not honoured. So all those pre-order people hanging on because they were offered discounts and free cards, forget it. You may as well order from a proper shop.

That is slightly different to the email people that registered through the site got....no mention of a free map on ours http://satmap.com/eshot/index_1 You say you've been on the list for 5 months but the show that your email mentions you registered at was back in March.

Have they actually turned down your map offer (can't see how they could do that) or will you get it when the unit arrives.....sometime after you can buy it in a shop.?
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment found on uk.rec.walking in a thread about the SatMap:
"Can you imagine how poor it would be if when you used an OS map all you
could see at any one time was a section two inches wide by three inches
high? Until the advent of displays that are lightweight, easily readable
in all conditions outdoors, of at least A5 size, flexible and with very
frugal power requirements I very much doubt that many folk familiar with
using an OS map will find such devices satisfactory. And I say that from
my position as a dedicated techno-junky with several GPS units!"

Doug
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair point but I don't think the Satmap is trying to replace a map, it's making GPS better by showing where you are on a OS map rather than the kind of map that you get on Garmin products.

Clearly that site is about walking and they have different needs but on a bike with a map in a handlebar bag map case you would be having to stop to refold the map every couple of miles, which would get on your nerves and ruin youer map within a few rides.

I have been practicing by taking a screen cap of Memory Map and then in Paint Shop Pro using the cropping tool with a selector set at 320x240 and scrolling round the sreencap.....it appears to be fine for my intended use. It is obviously going to be pretty poor at planning a 100+ mile ride on it, it can be bad enough doing it on a 19 inch monitor in places I'm not familiar with!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: