Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Police State
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Police State
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetgarb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Police State Reply with quote

This is more eveidence that we are becoming a Police state and how unfair the goverment is becoming.
Soon they will ban all speed camera detection all together so they can line their pockets even more and get cars off the road.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2184190/speed-detection-devices

Click on the link
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought they were already illegal...

still, the key here is:

Quote:
The sophisticated Gatso radar or laser-based detectors should not be confused with ordinary satellite navigation systems. These remain legal because they use GPS and published mapping technology to warn of published camera sites.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have discussed this in depth many times. The proposal in the Road Safety Bill sought to legislate against all forms' of 'active' detection which included Laser and Radar detectors. The bill specifically allowed GPS POI based systems so long as they did not contain 'active' sensors.

Specific parts of the Road Safety Act 2006 as it is now known are being introduced in stages. The harsher penalties for mobile phones was just one section. The section covering use of laser and radar detectors has not yet been introduced into law and may not make it onto the statute books until the end of 2007 or early 2008 so the author of the story in Computer Active has gotten his wires crossed!
planetgarb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im wondering if the road angel detectors although being gps based will be outlawed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetgarb wrote:
im wondering if the road angel detectors although being gps based will be outlawed

Yes they will if they contain a hardware 'active' detector such as the laser sensor in some Road Angel's, Snooper's and many others.

The key point is that they have not been outlawed 'yet'.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no dispute that there is a law in the making which will ban radar detectors but this story is a load of rubbish and contradicts itself....

Quote:
Radar and laser speed detection devices are now illegal

But then:

Quote:
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) said that as the Bill was still going through parliament, it had no comment to make on the subject.

However Andrew Howard admitted it would be a steep learning curve for the police to identify illegal devices [b]when the Bill finally becomes law[b/].

So are they illegal or not? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
the banned devices can tell in real time which cameras are dummies or have no film.

Eh? How can a radar detector detect film in a camera? It can certainly detect a radar unit (which which most Gatso boxes have) but it has absolutely no way of knowing if the Gatso also has a camera and film in it (which a small number of Gatso boxes have).

This was either written by someone who had no idea what they were writing about or perhaps it's a deliberately misleading article to attract more attention.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
This was either written by someone who had no idea what they were writing about or perhaps it's a deliberately misleading article to attract more attention.

I suspect the fomer!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eh? How can a radar detector detect film in a camera?

I think by "active" camera they mean those that have working parts and not just empty shells.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore me. Re-read thread - noi understand what you mean....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Skippy wrote:

I suspect the fomer!

You are probably right.... "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity". Laughing

PaulB2005 wrote:
I think by "active" camera they mean those that have working parts and not just empty shells.

Yeah, I think that's the gist of what they meant to say but the actual wording came out with the nonsense about detecting film in the camera. :x
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote, in the link of the first post:
Quote:
But the banned devices can tell in real time which cameras are dummies or have no film. Some devices can also detect mobile sites and laser speed guns used by the police.

Skippy wrote:
Quote:
Eh? How can a radar detector detect film in a camera? It can certainly detect a radar unit (which most Gatso boxes have) but it has absolutely no way of knowing if the Gatso also has a camera and film in it (which a small number of Gatso boxes have).

The author has no idea what he is talking about if he thinks it can detect film, however I have Whistler 1765, (Purchased in the USA) which can tell you by bleeps whether a Gatso camera is working or not (before i get to it), it is also very sensitive at picking up Laser from guns at a distance.

Re; the Gatso, I don’t know about the technical side but presume my Whistler is detecting either radar or pulses being sent from the camera.
I hasten to add that I wouldn’t dare use this to avoid detection but do find it interesting to see how many cameras are actually working.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
...Whistler 1765... ...I wouldn’t dare use this to avoid detection but do find it interesting to see how many cameras are actually working.

Cool, and what are your findings!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many Gatso's that do not use radar though so it'd be very dangerous to rely upon. I tested a number of devices with a laser gun last year and whilst most actually triggered an alert all were way too late!

The findings were that the only situation where laser detectors were of any use is where they detected laser 'scatter' of a vehicle being targetted ahead. We were never able to recreate this with moving vehicles but did once do so with a carefully staged static line-up!

So the loss of laser detection isn't something I'd lose sleep over tbh and radar isn't reliable enoigh on it's own.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda curious as to how many cameras are still fake.

Once upon a time I used to know a handful of fake cameras and merrily sailed past them, much to the concern and curiosity of others on the road. (I had long hair then) Taunt Police
You know! the cameras that used to flash at everything, whether it was moving or not, or when there was nothing there at all. Those were the days.

Now in my more mature years I wouldn't dream of taking such risks, Cameras, speeding or other.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the speeding subject is getting boring for some, so i continue at risk...........

mostdom wrote:
Quote:
Cool, and what are your findings!

I haven't kept a log, but i would say in Kent possible 1 in 8 cameras don't omit a signal, they also seem to be fairly old cameras, but I am certainly not going to "jump" them to see if my detector works.

Darren wrote:
Quote:
There are many Gatso's that do not use radar though so it'd be very dangerous to rely upon. I tested a number of devices with a laser gun last year and whilst most actually triggered an alert all were way too late!

I presume these may be the later cameras possibly digital.
Does the laser gun read the camera "scatter" similar to my Whistler or does it use a different method, as i'm sure the Whistler doesn't fire a laser beam?
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: