Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Voice Utility Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Voice Utility Software
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Ash10's Voice Utility Software Reply with quote

I've been busy writing some more new software - it's rather unimaginatively called Voice Utility, and here it is Cool

http://tinyurl.com/238t6o

Voice Utility will take any Garmin VPM file (not just British_English Smile ) and split it into its component audio samples. Once you have changed the samples as you see fit, Voice Utility will then join them back up into a new VPM file for you.

The free version of Voice Utility allows you to change as many (or as few) of the samples as you wish - however, after you have changed fifty samples, the quality of subsequently changed samples will be reduced slightly (although this will not stop your voice file from working).

You can remove this limitation by making a small Paypal donation - there is no minimum amount as such, but as a rule of thumb I like to have enough left after Paypal's cut for a beer or two... Wink

There's no need to have the samples in any particular format - Voice Utility will convert 16-bit (linear PCM) or 8-bit (u-law or a-law) samples, mono or stereo, of any sample rate, into the correct format automatically.

This free version is for personal use only - commercial use prohibited without permission

How to get at your VPM files:

On an i3, the VPM files can be found on the memory card - in the /Garmin/Voice/ directory. You'll need a suitable card reader to be able to get at them - if your i3 doesn't have a memory card, then I'm afraid that it can't be done.

On a Nuvi, connect the unit to your computer and you should find the VPM files in the /Garmin/Voice/ directory.

Take a backup of your VPM file before doing anything else!

To split a VPM file into its component samples, run Voice Utility and point it to the file that you want to split. Choose a name for the extracted samples in the space below, then click on the Split button - the numbered samples will be extracted and saved to the specified directory.

To join component samples into a VPM file, point Voice Utility to the first sample (only the first sample in each series is displayed in the file dialog). Choose a name for the new VPM file in the space above, then click on the Join button - it's that simple.

Once you've modified a VPM file, you'll need to set your unit to a different language and then back again to force it to update itself.

Note that the first sample (numbered as _000) is special and should not be altered!

Enjoy! Cool

Last edited by Ash10 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ash, What would we do without you!

How do you find the time?

I will test it tonight
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beerbellybill999 wrote:
How do you find the time?

Out-of-work at the moment... Crying or Very sad
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beerbellybill999!
Have not seen you posting for a while!
Happy new Year.
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ash10!

Works perfectly for me [Garmin C510]

Just need to create that blank wav then away you go, thanks!

Matt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so then, are people gonna start posting vpm files any time soon then? i can't be bothered doing my own ;)

Ash10 - you're a star! you'll get some work soon (he says hopefully)

MaFt
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Voice Utility Reply with quote

Tried it on English_American_.vpm and English_British_.vpm .. works great, tried it on English_British_Emily.vpm but did not work. Am I right in thinking it is not compatable with the TTS files?
Abakus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Voice Utility Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Tried it on English_American_.vpm and English_British_.vpm .. works great, tried it on English_British_Emily.vpm but did not work. Am I right in thinking it is not compatable with the TTS files?

TTS is a totally differernt story, much more much smale voice splits.
Mate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Voice Utility Reply with quote

Ash10, great work man !!
Just one question. wil this create a new voice name in the menu or does it overwrite the original voice file.

I understand the naming of the voice file is embeded in the file. Would it be possible to alter this name so you can select it on the device?

Abakus wrote:

TTS is a totally differernt story, much more much smale voice splits.

But could it be done?
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a thickie, what on earth is this ? Embarassed
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Voice Utility Reply with quote

Mate wrote:
Just one question. wil this create a new voice name in the menu or does it overwrite the original voice file.

I understand the naming of the voice file is embeded in the file. Would it be possible to alter this name so you can select it on the device?

You need to replace the original VPM file with your modified one (remember to backup the originals first!) - so no, it won't add any menu entries.

I have mine set up like this:

- English_British - "recalculating" replaced with silence, and the camera approach and overspeed bings and bongs made louder.

- American_English - all speech replaced with silence, so just the assorted bings and bongs.

This is great for when you roughly know where you're going, and the constant voice directions are annoying - whenever you're not quite sure of the route, a quick glance at the screen shows the way.
currymonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone simply wants to silence the annoying 'recalculating' then the doctored British voice file can be downloaded from here:- http://tinyurl.com/2z4fgh
Be sure to back up your old voice file first. I make no guarantees, but it does work for me on a Streetpilot i3.
Jamas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ash10's Voice Utility Software NEW! Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
I've been busy writing some more new software - it's rather unimaginatively called Voice Utility, and here it is 8) http://tinyurl.com/238t6o
../...
Voice Utility will take any Garmin VPM file (not just British_English Smile )

Idea Thanks a lot Ash10 for the frenchies Wink . Will try tonight

Jamas
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all and thanks for the great work Ash.

Simple question, can you just not rename the vpm file so that you get another choice? so you have the orignal English version then have the option of using a doctored version called somthing else, rather than "over writing an existing set of files?

I am probably missing somthing really simple, but i am just a simple folk!

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, a quick question to clear something up before people start sharing files:

will a vpm file from, say, an i3, work on a nuvi or a c320 etc?

I can just imagine people editing their i3 files and uploading them for all to use and end up killing a different unit...

or do you want me to try it out between my i3 and nuvi?!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: