Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony NV-U50 working with TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony NV-U50 working with TomTom
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tail0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Sony NV-U50 working with TomTom Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have a Sony NV-U50 and not that impressed with the supplied software so I have loaded TomTom instead.
It's not as easy as it could be to install as you cannot run the TomTom cab files on the device (Claims it's the wrong hardware!)
Instead you have to unzip the cab file and rename the files or if you have access to a working TomTom you could just copy them from there.
There's a couple of minor niggles, the Sony safety screen doesn't dissapear automatically after you click Agree, you have to tap a second time.
As TomTom doesn't use the GPS time you have to set the time yourself which is a bit fiddly.
There was no signal strength at first because of the NMEA settings used, Winfast Navigator sorted that by changing the timings.
It would also be nice to get the voice/postion button doing something as well as the light sensor. I'll see if theres any interest in this first.
I welcome any input/similar experiances.

Tailor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have NV-U50T I would loose the TMC info and rerouting to gain 7 digit post code search, Not worth it I think. Also we would loose the auto dim feature and the better Navteq maps.
Flimber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a step-by-step guide for getting TT 5 or 6 working on a U50 ?
marcel808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done Tail0r. PLEASE tell us how Smile
mike1212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just got a sony u50 and work has kindly bought me tom tom 6 can you tell me how to install it

thanks
mike
Tail0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: How To.. Reply with quote

OK, Long Post coming up

Credit goes to Dippy who got me started with getting the windows interface.

I have tried many many different configurations and not managed to brick the unit, even with all the files removed from the flash the unit still boots and allows you to connect with activesync. That said, please don't hold me responsible if you brick your unit, I am merely sharing my experiences and not telling you to do this!!!

The unit has 2 areas of storage which are visible, one is in RAM and contains everything but mounted Volume. The other is FLASH and named "\Mounted Volume" Anything you place in the RAM will disappear when the device is restarted or turned off by the switch underneath. On the contrary, anything in FLASH will stay forever!

I initially loaded TT5 and used it for almost a year, it worked well but some of the files needed to be in the RAM and so it was a pain if the unit got reset. TT6 cures this and you can load all the files into flash.

Prerequisites..

i) showtaskbar.exe - This is well documented by Dippy in his sticky post on POI Observer.

ii) TT6 - Ideally this will be installed on another device and you can copy the files from it, if not and you have the CD it is possible to extract them yourself, just extra work. I used the PDA Version, other versions may also work?

Process..

i) Follow Dippy's post for step 1, this copies showtaskbar.exe to the device and after the reset lets you boot into Windows CE. Don't tick "Always On Top" as TomTom can be exited and it interferes.

ii) Familiarise yourself with what you have now, it is a Windows CE device with the absolute minimum installed. I suggest you set the time and date, easiest way is to plug back into the PC and let activesync do it for you, however as the time zone is wrong on the device you will still have to set that.

iii) Now to extract the files, (if you can copy them from another device then skip to step iv.)We need the cab file that will be installed like ttn.cab. Depending on whether you have a update or TomTom Home or the CD this is going to be different. If you are completely stumped on where it is then post here for help. The cab file is basically a special zip file with the filenames changed and the xml file to install it all, we need to manually rename the files. I used WinRAR to open the cab file, extract the contents somewhere and you will see several files, one named "_setup.xml" and others with a numerical extension, i.e. .000 - .009. If you drag the .xml onto a open internet explorer window you will see the contents nicely formatted! Now just rename the files with what they should be reading the characteristic type and parm value for each section. <- You might want to read that again!

iv) Using the explorer in ActiveSync, create a folder called TomTom under "Mounted volume" and copy the TomTom files into the folder. You may need to create some additional folders depending on how you got the files. Don't worry about creating the fancy structure that TomTom create with folders all over the place, Mine looks as follows ..

Directory of TomTom
DIR contacts
DIR itn
DIR licences
DIR logging
DIR raster
DIR schemes
DIR voices
DIR zip
BtCoreIf.dll
BtSdkCE30.dll
data.chk
go1108m.wav
TomTom Navigator.exe
ttn6bt2003.dll
tttoday.bmp
tttoday.dll
tttodayvga.bmp

Most of the folders (or directories!) will be empty apart from licences, voices and zip.

v) Now copy the map and its directory over to "Mounted Volume" If you have a large map and need some more space, you can delete the Sony map but you won't be able to run the Sony app properly until you copy it back.

That is essentially it, run the TomTom Navigator and choose "Other NMEA GPS Receiver", baud 9600 and "Serial COM for GPS"

For TT5 I had to create a TomTom folder under MyDocuments and put my CurrentMap.dat file in there, it was also a bit fussier on the directories, I had to have each directory above under "Mounted Volume" instead of having them all under a TomTom directory.

Note: If you notice that the Signal Strength doesn't show and neither do the satellites, thats because the Sony app doesn't show this either and so it isn't being output from the GPS receiver. I have fixed this but I must confess I am not entirely sure how. I think it fixed when i turned the device off by the switch underneath for a number of hours but I also played with the Navigator app from leadtek.com.tw. I'm still experimenting with this!
Tail0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On further investigation it does seem that it's not the navigator app getting the Sat info but turning the device off for a few minutes. If you run the Sony NAV-U app again then the GPS is reset and the sat info stops. Turn off for a few mins and run TomTom and it returns.
Flimber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY U50 only has 18MB free space. Surely that can't be right ?
Tail0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I can't see that's right either, before TomTom I had close to 400mb free.
Have you installed other maps in NAV-U apart from the UK one?
How were you reading the free space?
marcel808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for the instructions!
Before I try it, I wanted to backup the current sony software so if all fails I can go back to it.
But when I try and copy a bit file (like the 200Mb map) from the nv-u50 to my pc, it gets about 30% through then starts again...and again.
Has anyone else had problems copying big files via activesync?
thanks
cel
Flimber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tail0r wrote:
No I can't see that's right either, before TomTom I had close to 400mb free.
Have you installed other maps in NAV-U apart from the UK one?
How were you reading the free space?

Creating a new folder and then dragging 30MB worth of files failed to it with 12MB to go, giving "out of disk space" error.
Flimber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcel808 wrote:
many thanks for the instructions!
Before I try it, I wanted to backup the current sony software so if all fails I can go back to it.
But when I try and copy a bit file (like the 200Mb map) from the nv-u50 to my pc, it gets about 30% through then starts again...and again.
Has anyone else had problems copying big files via activesync?
thanks
cel

Exactly me the other week. Use the Sony Backup app. Worked fine then.
marcel808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Flimber.
That worked a treat.
My nv-u50 WAS using 1.05 software Sad Now using 1.06 :D

A mate has the 1.06 version. So I backed up the map from his, copied the rest of the files to the PC, then overwrote everything but the map on my 1.05 satnav. Finally I restored the 1.06 map onto the old 1.05 device.
Booted it up...and works perfectly. Now upgraded to 1.06!!

I reckon Sony have to pay more for the maps with postcode support, so they're tell porky pies and say 1.06 can't go onto a 1.05 device for hardware reasons.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcel m8 any chance you could PM me with 1.06 as I have been trying to get them to provide 1.06 but no go.

Mods if this is not the right thing to do please delete.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The memory problem can be solved by copying all the sound and language files to somewhere safe and then deleteing all the foreign ones of the Sony. That gave me nearly 180mb extra.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: