Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Large Garmin webupdater file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Large Garmin webupdater file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opera
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Large Garmin webupdater file Reply with quote

Just plugged in my Garmin Street Pilot to download the latest speed files( thanks guys) and thought I would check the web updater as well. It came up saying there was a new version so I downloaded it. It said about 4MB's.

Now I have just been into C/docs and settings/username/local settings/temp/ ckz-N7PO (The name for the webupdater file) to find it is a whopping 23MB's. This is in addition to the webupdater file inside the garmin folder.

Just in case anyone is interested.
Ayla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of thing rings loud alarm bells for me - I immediately start thinking "virus alert". However, it is probably completely innocent - I assume you did a virus scan before opening it??? It may be worth dropping an email to the website admin types, asking them to amend their info.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just download WebUpdater from http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=931

It is 4 Mb or so...

Why do you think "ckz-N7PO" is the name for WebUpdater???
opera
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has that name under the folder, and when I open it up it has the webupdater stuff in it, including all the language files which have bloated it.
I uninstalled it and downloaded it again from your link, (my first download was through the updater itself) Same result.
Have you looked yourself in your computer at the same place as I did? i would be interested to know if you have the same.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has that name under the folder, and when I open it up it has the webupdater stuff in it, including all the language files which have bloated it.

The download is 4Mb. When uncompressed (which is what you are looking in the ckz-N7PO folder it is 24 Mb.

The contents of ckz-N7PO are only temporary whilsit it is being installed. Once you have installed the program and rebooted you can delete the ckz-N7PO folder. Most programs install like this when they are compressed.

Looks normal to me...
opera
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info there Paul, was just like you said. Have deleted that file with the crazy name.

Happy new year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: