Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to reset the TomTom Go or Rider products.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to reset the TomTom Go or Rider products.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: How to reset the TomTom Go or Rider products. Reply with quote

If your device refuses to boot (start up) following either a software update or Speed Camera installation - read on.

Does it display a red flashing X over a symbol representing the Memory card? The image below is from a TomTom Rider, but a similar screen will be displayed on other devices when failed in this way.

Even if you don't see the above image give the following a try:

Please try resetting the device, usually a simple press of the reset switch is all that is required, if this fails try a longer press of the reset switch 30 seconds duration has been used by some site members to recover their device from this failure.

Note while resetting the unit make sure, where applicable the memory card is inserted and the unit is NOT connected to the computer.

Please take time to look at the pictures and identify the correct device, for the Go-x10 units the small hole on the upper front face to the left of the mount release button is NOT a reset switch hole, it is in fact the inbuilt microphone, this will be damaged if prodded with a pin/ paperclip

The all important reset switch location can be found HERE

And for the x20 devices please see This Page.

Some paperclips are too big to actually operate the reset switch, if you suspect this to be the case please use a smaller diameter paperclip or pin, you should be able to feel the reset switch depress as you operate it. - Mike

Click HERE to return to the FAQ page.

Last edited by mikealder on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, I have found a couple of times with my TomTom ONE (original) running V6.15 if the device is left unused for a few weeks, the battery seems to run flat, and switch on will start but then fail.

Once this has happened, the unit will not boot, and hangs on the splash screen forever.

I have found an easy way to un-jam this if I plug in power lead, then hold down the power button for about 20 seconds, this gives a text screen of info on the unit (linux versions etc), if I then press the power button again the ONE boots up normally.

The first time this happened I got in a real flap and restored backups and all sorts, now I know this is easy to get round as above its not a problem.

Since updating to V6.56 this problem has gone away, so I know think this was a bug in 6.15.

Last edited by jblackmore on Thu May 31, 2007 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased theTTOne v2 Europe the other day , and it refuses to start after evry time I hook it to my computer.

Is this normal? Should I return it for a different unit?

Thanks - from a new guy to GPS.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS common on V2's but seeing as (I assume) the paperclip trick works & you only connect every couple of weeks then I'd say live with it.
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
It IS common on V2's but seeing as (I assume) the paperclip trick works & you only connect every couple of weeks then I'd say live with it.

Thats true......

As long as it is "common"......

I'm just wondering how normal it really is? Do a lot of TT's or other Satnav's do this?

I guess the idea is to pack a paperclip , just in case.....
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck?

Now my computer will not evenrcognize the fact that I've plugged in my TT.....

Weird
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Mine has just done the same - neither of my PCs recognise a TT is connected - the cable works with a camera, so it's not a dodgy cable, and not the PC(s). TT behaves as normal (i.e in navigate mode) when it SHOULD be indicating it is connected to a computer. What now?
George
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 30 second reset and re-boot the PC then see what happens, does the device or the PC do anything at all when you plug in the USB? - Mike
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike ... several resets of varying lengths later...

TT finally woke up and realised there was a PC on the other end of its wire.

Hey-ho. Thanks for the comments.
George
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems with my PC not seeing my PDA, or my Sony PSP, or my bluetooth dongle, or my MP3 player. I find, If you plug the device/lead into the USB port, it is no visible in "My Computer", so I shut the PC down, and re-start it, (With the device/lead, left plugged in), and when the Pc has started up, you can see the Device in "My Computer". Its as if It needs to be there at start up, or It can't see it.
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanda
Yeah - I had an old PC that needed this - but both my current PCs never had a problem - and after TT reset a few times, all was ok - no PC reboot was needed. And it was 2 PCs that TT failed to announce itself to but camera on same lead did - to both!
hey-ho
G
ernie_kay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: TT 720 Traffic will not start Reply with quote

Hi guys.

My brand new TT 720T will not start (and never has). I've rstored the initial backup andn tried all manner of resets as described in this thread with no joy. I've got no SD card fitted and it's the internal mem that has gone corrupt (I assume). Are Tom Tom good at replacing?

Any other ideas?

Ernie
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is brand new I would take it back to the shop and demand a replacement in the morning.
Can you actually see the device and the folder structure when it is connected to the PC using Windows Explorer? - Mike
ernie_kay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 720 Traffic will not start Reply with quote

ernie_kay wrote:
Hi guys.

My brand new TT 720T will not start (and never has). I've rstored the initial backup andn tried all manner of resets as described in this thread with no joy. I've got no SD card fitted and it's the internal mem that has gone corrupt (I assume). Are Tom Tom good at replacing?

Any other ideas?

Ernie

Oh, and tt HOME will not give me the option of reinstalling the application.

Ernie
ernie_kay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Yes the PC and TT HOME sees the device fine and the full directory structure. It looks like the application is screwed up but not enough for the unit to report it to TT HOME.

Ernie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: