Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin announce City Navigator Europe NT version 9
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announce City Navigator Europe NT version 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has finally passed his driving test and top of his X-mas wish list is a Sat Nav (hasn't even got a motor yet !, go figure). Now I know it's being a bit cheeky but would I be able to buy him exactly the same Sat Nav as me i.e C510D ( now a ton cheaper than when I bought it from Halfords Crying or Very sad ) and use his free upgrade to NT v9 on my c510D also ? i heard somewhere that you could have up to 2 devices per Garmin map, would appreciate any views on if this scenario is possible /allowed? I have unlocked NT8 mapsource UK/European maps on my Garmin presently.

Rgds
geverasm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today Garmin announced the latest in its digital mapping products City Navigator Europe NT version 9. They did not say when this would actually be available to purchase.

The dealer in Norway says that the v9 for nuvi will not be availeble until nest christmas. Can anyone confirm that ?? Crying or Very sad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Garmin will allow you to activate your maps for two Garmin units if they are owned by you.

So if you gave it to your brother then you wouldn't be allowed to do this. However, if you brought yourself a second sat nav unit which you may choose to "lend" to a family member then this would be OK. Wink Wink

And sorry for the somewhat heated discussion previously... Things can go off on a bit of a tangent sometimes.
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy, and my apologies also, it is very easy to take offence where non is intended Embarassed My only excuse being brain being somewhat addled due to working nights for last 3 -weeks. Roll on X-mas !!
:D I need to chill out.
Rgds
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geverasm wrote:
The dealer in Norway says that the v9 for nuvi will not be availeble until nest christmas. Can anyone confirm that ?? Crying or Very sad

Welcome

I'm pretty sure that Nuvis are already shipping with v9 maps. By next Christmas, v10 will be out!

I think you probably have a misunderstanding between you and your dealer or maybe the dealer only has old v8 stock (in which case Garmin will probably give you a free upgrade).
geverasm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jepp! i phoned the dealer, and it is exacty what you said !
Thanks!! Smile Embarassed
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geverasm,
The easiest way to check for the v9 maps is the Garmin website. You put in your product model and it says if an update is available or not. v9 maps for my C501D are still not available Confused seems strange when this is one of their latest product lines Confused
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C510D i bought from Halfords a couple of weeks ago has v9, check the bottom of the box by the barcode to see if it says v9 or v8.
terry64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I have an M4 with local (Italy+Grece) maps.
Local distributor told me that if I buy the upgrade I'll have the entire europe maps for 75 $. That will be free for old v8 devices registered after a certain date.
So if you find out some Garmin unit with local maps (i.e. not full-europe) you could buy these (lower price) v8 units and get the update to v9 (full europe) for free !
Check with your distributors !

The only problem with the update is that they're laoding their database in these days, so currently Garmin site says my M4 doesn't need any update (this occurred to several italian customers, italian distributor told me to wait for some days).

Merry Christmas !
Terry64
caprimick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone tell me if the v9 update for my garmin i3 updates the british street maps or only add more countrys and can you turn off the update screen on the garmin that pops up everytime i switch on
thanks
timmunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Garmin Reply with quote

I WILL knock Garmin for not offering a free update. I purchased my Nuvi in the middle of August. The cut off date being 1st September for a free update.

I wouldn't mind this if the mapping data was any good. I drive all over the UK every week and am constantly driving in the middle of no where because motorways and A roads which have been in existance for years are not even on the map!

Various left and right hand turns when it is just a bend in the road! This wouldn't be so bad if there isn't another road within 20ft of the bend!

You could well say that it is not Garmin's fault because the mapping data comes from Navteq as with most SatNav's these days.

But Garmin have chosen to buy and sell Navteq data so they should stand buy it, which they don't. I wouldn't expect my car manufacturer to not offer warranty on the engine all because it was made by another company!

Part of me wants to upgrade to NT V.9 but is the data going to be any better? Garmin are ranting and raving about how good the maps are for eastern europe but what about England!!!!

Tim
ryokan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
If you haven't registered your unit yet with Garmin then make sure when you do that you say you purchesed it after 1 Sept 2006 and you may be entitled to free V9 upgrade anyway
zbukmtu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Garmin Upgrade message Reply with quote

This message only comes up once, and if you dont need the extra coverage area you dont need too upgrade. I have been a Garmin customer for about 6 years I now have had the 2720 for 1 year and it is faultless and worth every penny. :P
nzthor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: registration... Reply with quote

I bought and registered my 360 Nuvi after 1 sept. Is anyone else in the procedure of trying to obtain the upgrade and is able to shed light about how to proceed with it? I bought mine from one of those stores on tottenham court road - I'm not expecting much help from them, as the store has already demonstrated its ineptitude by telling me the american AND european maps were on my 360 (how disappointed was i when i got home...)

Anyway - ideas anyone? THANKS!
nzthor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: registration... Reply with quote

nzthor wrote:
I bought and registered my 360 Nuvi after 1 sept. Is anyone else in the procedure of trying to obtain the upgrade and is able to shed light about how to proceed with it? I bought mine from one of those stores on tottenham court road - I'm not expecting much help from them, as the store has already demonstrated its ineptitude by telling me the american AND european maps were on my 360 (how disappointed was i when i got home...)

Anyway - ideas anyone? THANKS!

After bumbling through the pages where I registered in the first place - I found a link. Anyone else trying to do the same thing, log on to http://my.garmin.com and click the 'unlock' link (in the description it says unlock/update, the second one down from memory).

It needs the registration code, which you can go back and find from your registered products link (on the right on the main page.) It says its supposed to come in 7-10 days - I'm eagerly looking forward to the uk improvements - there are some real beauty mistakes in the maps around my home area for example - roads that have been replaced/cut by new rail links etc...

Thanks!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: