Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin announce City Navigator Europe NT version 9
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announce City Navigator Europe NT version 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Garmin announce City Navigator Europe NT version 9 Reply with quote

Today Garmin announced the latest in its digital mapping products City Navigator Europe NT version 9. They did not say when this would actually be available to purchase.

Garmin Press Release wrote:
13th December 2006 - You can now explore more of Europe than ever before with Garmin satellite navigation. The new City Navigator Europe NT version 9, which has just been released, contains 32 countries throughout Western and Eastern Europe.

Spain now has comprehensive coverage including Andorra, Balearic and the Canary Islands. Full mapping is also included for continental Portugal, Poland and the Republic of Ireland.

Mapping for Eastern Europe has been added or enhanced. The Czech Republic has increased detail across a wider area, while the major cities in Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are also covered.

“This latest update gives those who travel to Europe, whether for business or pleasure, a greater confidence to go to places they’ve never been before” says EMEA Cartography Product Manager for Garmin, Laura Tomei. “There are also hundreds of new points of interest, helping you find restaurants, hotels, petrol stations and much more, wherever you go.”

The new mapping is ideal for Garmin’s popular nüvi range of personal navigation devices (PNDs). They are slim and portable enough to put into a pocket whilst walking around town and easily plug straight into a car so you can start to navigate straight away.

City Navigator Europe NT version 9 contains more than 7 million km of roads and over a million points of interest such as tourist attractions, restaurants and parking information. The map data is provided by NAVTEQ, which is a recognised world leader in premium-quality, highly accurate mapping.

The enhanced coverage will be available on new issues of Garmin nüvi and StreetPilot PNDs, while an update will be available in the form of a DVD to current Garmin customers at a reduced cost of $75 (+ VAT where applicable). City Navigator Europe NT version 9 is also available in SD and micro SD card format.

mpeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Non NT Version Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether the non NT version will be updated? I own an older 2610 and NT will not run on this.

Mark
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already ordered by updated maps for my Nuvi 350.
The Garmin site says that the maps will ship on 12/12/2006 and be delivered in 7-10 days time.
So far no money has changed hands either! Perhaps I will have to pay when I unlock the maps.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Non NT Version Reply with quote

mpeard wrote:
Does anyone know whether the non NT version will be updated? I own an older 2610 and NT will not run on this. Mark

From an email from Garmin Europe:
"PLEASE BE AWARE: the non-NT update (part# 010-10432-04), for units such as the SPIII, GPS V, etc, is now delayed to later in December and because of the Christmas and New Year holidays."
Samsung Galaxy S21
mpeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Non NT Version Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
mpeard wrote:
Does anyone know whether the non NT version will be updated? I own an older 2610 and NT will not run on this. Mark

From an email from Garmin Europe:
"PLEASE BE AWARE: the non-NT update (part# 010-10432-04), for units such as the SPIII, GPS V, etc, is now delayed to later in December and because of the Christmas and New Year holidays."

Thanks
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Will I get a discount ? Reply with quote

My 510D is only 5-months old and I feel agrieved that the unit tells me that the maps (NT-8 ) are out of date and I should purchase an upgrade ! I pointed this out to Garmin but they state I will have to pay for a full upgrade when maps (NT-9) are made available and I won't be entitled to a free upgrade/or even a discount. Lots of talk on this forum about how good customer service is at Garmin but as an ex-Tom Tom user I have to say I don't think Gamin’s customer relations are all that Sad

Rich
mondeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Does anyone know if there are any free updates yet for the City Select Europe NT v7 and if this is the same.
Model Type Garmin Streetpilot c310

regards
Steve
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have already ordered by updated maps for my Nuvi 350.
The Garmin site says that the maps will ship on 12/12/2006 and be delivered in 7-10 days time.
So far no money has changed hands either! Perhaps I will have to pay when I unlock the maps.

Yes. You will have to pay $75 plus VAT (which i make £37.50 plus VAT or £46)
jbarca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried to order an update disk but when i put my code (which the new procedure asks for) it then goes to tell me that there are no new update available. i have the v8! i have e-mailed garmin but still waiting for a reply
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I get a discount ? Reply with quote

Type23 wrote:
My 510D is only 5-months old and I feel agrieved that the unit tells me that the maps (NT-8 ) are out of date and I should purchase an upgrade !

Do you also feel agrieved that the new car you brought this year is going to be replaced by a newer model next year?

Garmin's maps are updated every year. The 5 months use you have had is a significant part of a year - you can't seriously expect and upgrade for free.

No one is forcing you to buy the upgrade. If you are happy with the current maps then get on with your driving. If you need the extra coverage then spend the money and upgrade.

Quote:
as an ex-Tom Tom user I have to say I don't think Gamin’s customer relations are all that Sad

Are TomTom offering free upgrades to their latest maps then?
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I get a discount ? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Do you also feel agrieved that the new car you brought this year is going to be replaced by a newer model next year?

er !no, but if the new car I had bought every time I started it flashed up a message that the electronics were out of date and I should purchase an upgrade then I would be ! Yes I realise that no one is forcing me to upgrade but my post was more on the customer satisfaction aspect, by the way do you have some sort of vested interest in Garmin ? just wondering after looking at your previous posts ?

Also you asked about Tom Tom offering an upgrade and yes Tom Tom are offering free upgrades and also discounted upgrades, I sent an e-mail to them stating that I was looking to purchase one of their products but was aware that the map was nearly a year old and asked what their policy was on looking after their customers, this is the reply I received.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

We're currently in the process of preparing to ship free Update CDs to customers who purchased their devices after the 1st of may of this year.

Shortly after the update will become available to all other customers at a reduced fee via our website, we would recommend checking the frontpage every now and then as the availability of the new maps will be announced there.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

If only Garmin could match that level of service I think that they would be number 1 in the market place.

Rgds
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I get a discount ? Reply with quote

Type23 wrote:
. . by the way do you have some sort of vested interest in Garmin ? just wondering after looking at your previous posts ?

Far from having a vested interest, I think you'll find that Skippy's posts, like those of most Garmin users (take a look at mine!) reflect his satisfaction with both his device and Garmin's customer support. You'll find far more complaints and far less praise about TomTom's service in these forums.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I get a discount ? Reply with quote

Type23 wrote:
er !no, but if the new car I had bought every time I started it flashed up a message that the electronics were out of date and I should purchase an upgrade then I would be !

Fair enough! I didn't know the newer Garmins had a nagging message about upgrading. That would annoy me too!

Garmin have offered free map upgrades in the past, you got a free upgrade if you brought (or registered) a unit after a certain date. I'm not sure if they still do this.

Probably the only reason to upgrade the maps is if you want the extra coverage of Eastern Europe, Portugal or Ireland. There will be some map UK map errors fixed but to be honest, the occasional error doesn't bother me that much.

As for vested interest in Garmin, I'm just a customer. Indeed, I'm very pleased to see TomTom selling so many units - cut throat competition has done a whole lot for the sat nav market and the consumer is the one who benefits.

If I sound enthusiastic about Garmins it's because I think they are great products. Smile
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To upgrade to v9 is personal decision not a compulsion.

Just because there is a new software version out, does not mean that you will get much benefit from it. This year the addition of Eire and Northern Ireland and some Eastern European Countries form the greatest increase in detailed coverage. Last year [v8] the benefits were the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. In v7 the extra detail in France and Italy was the important reason for buying.

If I was visiting Ireland next year then I would pay for the v9. I toured there in June with the apalling cover in v8!

Each unlock code is for two units that you own and register. My family has four units so I buy two unlock codes [for four units]

Nortons Ant-Virus are already sending reminders to buy the 2007 version, but I will refrain. AutoRoute 2007 is out, do people buy a new version every year?

Garmin bring out a new version in January most years, so whether you upgrade or not is a personal choice! Garmin enhance their software every year and have broadcast that fact. The ideal time to buy the Garmin units with the new software, has always been in the new year.

Don't 'knock' Garmin because you bought at the wrong time and don't 'knock' Skippy as his contribution to the Garmin threads [and other threads] has been considerable over a period of time!

I'm into my fifth year with a Garmin and am delighted with the units and software, and in particular with the ability to operate on the PC and interact with my iQue and 60CSx.
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

Don't 'knock' Garmin because you bought at the wrong time and don't 'knock' Skippy as his contribution to the Garmin threads [and other threads] has been considerable over a period of time!

Sorry strumble I sincerely apologise for having offended you and take back everything I said and everything you think I said about Garmin and also "Skippy" .I am truly sorry for having the misguided impression that this was a discussion forum and am suitably chastised Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: