Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket Navigator map downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Navigator map downloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Pocket Navigator map downloads Reply with quote

I have an HP Jornada 568 and a 512Mb CF card for map storage.

(Incidentally I found the cheapest place to get CF cards is from Crucial Technology. )

Downloading large amounts of data to the Jornada using a USB 1.1 connection is very slow and doesn't seem very stable.

I have a workaround that makes it much quicker and isn't fully documented by Memory Map themselves.

They suggest using a CF reader/writer attached to your PC using USB 2 connection. Of course you can copy entire map sections very quickly that way, but what about segments selected using the 'Send Map Window to PDA' option?

That only allows you to use your ActiveSync connection to send to the PDA.

I have found the following works.

Start your map segment download to the PDA. This creates temporary files in QCT format on the PC's hard drive. Note the location.

Allow the download to continue, but at the same time copy the temporary files to another location on your hard drive.

Then cancel the download to the PDA - this deletes the temporary files created by the download. But you still have them elsewhere.

Use Explorer to now copy these files to your CF card in the reader/writer, then delete once safely on the card.

I have found that Pocket Navigator doesn't always seem to know the files are on the CF card unless you download a small file afterwards using 'Send Map Window to PDA'.

I know this sounds convoluted but it's a lot quicker and more reliable than using ActiveSync for large volumes of data.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: