Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tracks question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tracks question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arsenal_sting
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: tracks question Reply with quote

Got to Wales today, switched on my Garmin GPSMAP60CSX, erased the tracks memory, flagged the 'TRACK LOG' ON button in tracks and stuffed the GPS in my bag.
At the end of my ride i saved the track. When i viewed the track it still showed the first point being back home in Bristol with a straight track line between home and the point at which i switched the unit on, why is this as i had deleted the tracks memory ??

So i saved the track to my PC at home, amended by deleting the initial home point and then the track between home and the start of my ride, easy, except when i try to save back on the GPS the message 'TRACK TRUNCATED is shown and the track is not complete.

ideas please ??

Paul
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tracks question Reply with quote

arsenal_sting wrote:
Got to Wales today, switched on my Garmin GPSMAP60CSX, erased the tracks memory, flagged the 'TRACK LOG' ON button in tracks and stuffed the GPS in my bag.
At the end of my ride i saved the track. When i viewed the track it still showed the first point being back home in Bristol with a straight track line between home and the point at which i switched the unit on, why is this as i had deleted the tracks memory ??
IDEA only----When you erased the track the unit was still logging its position at Bristol. You should get a 'fix' [a GPS FIX!!] in Wales before erasing??

So i saved the track to my PC at home, amended by deleting the initial home point and then the track between home and the start of my ride, easy, except when i try to save back on the GPS the message 'TRACK TRUNCATED is shown and the track is not complete.

You may have erased one too many points! How did you get the unit to get a fix while stuffed in a bag?

ideas please ??
Paul

Do you allow the unit to keep your tracks on the SD card. Mine is setup to record huge tracks to the card which I then copy to MapSource and save for months! My tracks of a visit to Bristol Baltic Wharf Caravan Site 6 weeks ago are kept to check against possible Speed Camera photographs!

Each time the unit is switched on ---the tracks are recorded.

Each track can be converted in minutes to a route using MapSource, and sent back to the unit.
A late night visit to the Bristol BRI resulted in the track [around the Bristol one way systems] being installed as a new route on the unit the next day.
Tewy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Converting Tracks to Route Reply with quote

Stumble,

How do you convert tracks to routes using Mapsource? I am aware that this is easily done using Memory Map but unsure how using Mapsource.

Thanks

Tewy
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often I have a track that I want to keep and 'convert' to a route.

I import it into MapSource
OPEN it
Using the 'Route tool' I select various track points in sequence[ perhaps 1 in every 50]
Mapsource constructs the route as I move track point to track point!
Save it.

I then have a route from a track in minutes within Mapsource on the PC, to be transferred to the unit at any time.

To make this feasible I leave the "lock on roads" option turned on, as track points off the road are of little use!

The routes are very accurate and quick to comlete and do not require any extra software!
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Route Truncated Reply with quote

I have just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and am having similar problems with truncation only on mine it is with routes. When I transfer a route from Memory Map I get a message Route Truncated but only on some routes. I have tried making sure that the device is empty but it still only transfers some of the route and yet it will happily accept bigger but different routes can any one tell me any way round this please
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a limit on the number of wayponts that can be 'stored' in a single route - I think its 50 for your unit. I have a GPS60 and that is certainly the case. Option is to reduce the number of waypoints or split the route into two or more parts - which is what I usually do.
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that I shall keep that in mind. However, I think I have found the answer to the problem and it seems to be in the description of each waypoint in the downloaded route. There seems to be a limit as to what the 60csx can handle and by cutting this description back solves the problem. Hope this is of some use to anyone else.
Gazzer115
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problem with truncated routes downloading to my new GPS Map CSX60 but the suggestion from PeteJohn worked a treat. I deleted all the info from the waypoint descriptions and hey presto all the correct waypoints transferred to my GPS.

Thanks PeteJohn for this very helpful tip.

Gazzer115

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: