Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anquet Vs Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anquet Vs Memory Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quickbeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Anquet Vs Memory Map Reply with quote

I currently use Anquet V6 which I use with Navigator 1:100,000 maps for off roading & in a truck for it's ability to find obscure farm & site access's.
I also now have Memory Map V5 from e-bay with the northern half of Britain in 1:50,000.
Now I want to get some selective areas in 1:25,000.
What I'd like to know is, whose mapping is the most up to date, and who is the nearest to a new version release. Once I buy into the 1:25,000 sets it will be many years use I want before I feel I need to upgrade...Łots.
Also while I'm asking... do the Harvey 1:25,000 maps have the same restrictions on updated software as OS versions, and does the Pocket PC application get bogged down with this restriction too?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anquet Vs Memory Map Reply with quote

Quickbeam wrote:
I currently use Anquet V6 which I use with Navigator 1:100,000 maps for off roading & in a truck for it's ability to find obscure farm & site access's.
The 1:100,000 scale is good for a wide area view but the lack of detail isn't too good for off road/ walking etc.
Quickbeam wrote:
I also now have Memory Map V5 from e-bay with the northern half of Britain in 1:50,000.
Now I want to get some selective areas in 1:25,000.
1:50,000 is better for your application which I am sure you have found, this map scale offers the best value for money in my opinion. For detail though 1:25,000 is great, but can get very costly due to the numbers of maps required to cover an area.
Quickbeam wrote:
Also while I'm asking... do the Harvey 1:25,000 maps have the same restrictions on updated software as OS versions, and does the Pocket PC application get bogged down with this restriction too?
I would have though all the electronic maps suffer from the same restriction with respect to software upgrades, this is to do with OS who supply the original data so it doesn't matter which company, in the case of Harvey maps the electronic ones are Anquet who use OS data!

This restiction does significantly affect what you can do with a map over time, for example when Memory Map brought out compatability for Smart Phones to load their maps, you could only load the new maps - so the restriction isn't just for what you can do with the PC it also affects the handheld devices at the same time. I don't like this restriction as it forces users to upgrade maps if new functionality within the software is made available and you want to use the increased capability.
Sorry I cannot comment on who will next release a more upto date map, personally I use MM software - Mike
Quickbeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your detailed reply...
Over the weekend I've had time to assess both applications.

I find the MM app is much quicker to redraw when dragging the map across the screen on both PC & Handheld, the zoom function is much easier to operate without having to go into menus, and also the ability to keep the GPS cursor centered swings it over to Memory Map.

Regarding the 1:100,000 Philips Navigator for Anquet, I find the detail Vs the clarity to the eye for quick glances while driving by far the best for road use while still showing tracks off the main roads.

Regarding the 1:25,000 maps, I doubt I'll replace them for a very long time... I still have my original Kinder Scout 1:25k outdoor leisure map in servicable condition... cover price 95p (circa 1972)... an Ice Age is required to alter the detail on this by any great extent!

Now I just need to decide whether to buy them in V5 or the half price V4 on e-bay... is there any appreciable difference in the maps other than having to use V2004 software?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Quickbeam,

I don't know about Harvey maps, but AFAIK the MM non-OS maps (A-Z, CAA and Aerial photos, etc.) do NOT have the restriction on software upgrades (i.e. the 2004 maps do run on MMv5).

Personally, I bought the whole GBv5 from a (legal) eBay seller, because the price wasn't much higher than additional 2004 maps from EVO, MM's distributor, (and less than the official MM upgrade price!). I had been doubtful if the 50k v5 maps would be very different to the 2004 versions, but have found some significant differences, at least where new roads have been built.

When I've found discrepancies between Landranger and Explorer (paper) maps, the Explorer has usually proved to be more correct (and of course only the latest Explorers contain the CROW boundaries) but, as Mike says, the electronic versions are prohibitively expensive for larger areas.

Another advantage of the v5 (50k) maps is that they are contained in one continuous file (on a DVD). Merging maps can be tricky (particularly with the 25k selections product) and the MM function does not merge the elevation data, so you can end up with maps with missing elevation data.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Quickbeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply AllyCat...

I decided to go with the V5 1:25k, for the simple reason that I like the way MM can scale instantly between the different scales. For my area I can go from A-Z, 1:25k, 1:50k, 1:250k, 1:600k & 1: to a million! Also, if I buy into V5 & get all that I foresee I will need, I won't be infuriated when V6 comes out & needs new maps & program to read them!

So over the next few months I'll buy all the National Park titles. At the moment I've got the Peak District & a selections package. I'm getting my own locale with the cherry picked areas I'll use in 1:25k.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: