Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC P3300 Artemis (Initial Thoughts)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC P3300 Artemis (Initial Thoughts)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Accessories

I have purchased a few add on bits for the phones over the past few months:

Top is the Herbert Richter mount with twin carrier adaptor, a couple of PDair aluminium cases, and two different audio output adaptor cables.

The HTC Artemis (Full Europe TomTom version) is supplied with a single Herbert Richter mount, but it is the goose neck type. It provided a great holder for the actual device, but the flexible arm tends to let the unit vibrate when driving. The HR solid mount is a great alternative, fully adjustable and rock solid when attached to the screen. It is a passive mount requiring external power via the supplied USB charger cable. Access to all buttons is possible and you can remove the stylus (clearance dependant upon vehicle and position).
As you can see the standard HR mount is fitted with a twin carrier, so I can install both devices to a single holder,

Single mode

Twin Mode

In Use, GPS Speed Sentry on the T-Mobile unit and TomTom on the HTC unit, the “chewed up” air vent was from a previous mount for a different unit that didn’t fit too well!
I appreciate that Brodit also do a range of Artemis holders, but as I wanted a “twin holder” and already had one Artemis holder this was the cheaper solution. Very impressed with the holders, and as always with the Herbert Richter screen suction mounts they don’t fall off the screen, in fact its quite a job to remove it from the windscreen once attached. Removal is possible but the mount is a little large to fit in the glove box! And carrying it around is not too easy.
By the way I have also tried an O2 XDA Orbit in the holder and they fit securely, at first I wasn’t too sure due to the Orbits much more rounded corners.

=====================================================================
PDair Aluminium Cases

The HTC unit came with a very weak attempt at a case, the T-Mobile is just as bad. Leaving the units in the top pocket was not a good idea, too easy to drop them so something else had to be found.

The PDair cases are available in silver or Black and are supplied with a belt clip. What impresses me the most with these cases is the simple fact you can get to any of the buttons and stylus with the case shut, even the reset hole is accessible. The screen is covered by a clear plastic cover preventing damage to the device, access to the screen is via the hinged front cover, note the hinge is on the right, and the securing clip is on the left. If you are left handed this arrangement is great, I am right handed and find the case cumbersome when open to be honest.
To use the phone you don’t need to open the case though, access to your contacts is via the accessible soft keys and selection is then made via the scroll wheel/ Mouse.
The XDA Orbit will fit the case, but removal of the stylus is problematic due to the rounded corners of the Orbit. The black case is my preferred colour to be honest, the silver one is OK but shows up marks much faster, colour aside though these cases offer a much better degree of protection than the pathetic offering the devices were supplied with.

Mini USB to 3,5MM socket

A rather strange choice for the audio output is to use the mini USB connector, this forces you to use the supplied headphones (which I hate as they never stay in my ears without tape) the mini USB to 3,5MM socket releases you to use whatever audio device you like

Simple to use, and provides for the connection to a car Aux input, FM Injection Unit, FM Modulator etc. Note you cannot use the built in radio with this adaptor as it is not correctly wired to provide the aerial – shame really, as that would have been very handy. To use the radio with your own headphones is possible but involves cutting up the supplied earphone cable and is not something I aim to discuss here, I do have the wiring schematic available should anyone want it to try modifying there own headset.

Three in one adaptor

This allows for connection of 3,5MM stereo headphones (or other in car devices), the normal earphones can also be used at the same time, and it provides for data connection to a PC or charging input to power the device in the car. The adaptor is quite small, but a very handy addition to the device, again though no radio playback is possible as the adaptor is not wired to provide the aerial connection. In use you can imagine the fun of tangled wires if you use it for this:

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know how to embed GPS positon to the photos taken with the Artemis camera please have a read of This - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
llandod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the O2 XDA Orbit for about a month now, but have one query.

I use both TomTom and Memory Map with the GPS. On my previous phone, an XDA Mini S with bluetooth GPS, if i switched the phone off, the Tom Tom still 'knew' where it was when I switched it back on, or if using Memory Map, my track was still recorded while the phone was off. On the new device, neither of the applications works as described above, I assume that switching the phone off switches the GPS receiver off to save battery life. Anyone else come across this problem and more importantly, anyone know of a way to make the GPS receiver continue working whilst the phone is switched off.

Cheers,

Simon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, Welcome to the forum (someone local for a change!) - All I can think of with the Artemis is to turn off the backlight to save power there is an application you can install to do this.

If you want to use the device for longer periods than the battery will support there are a number of external power packs that can be considered:
The U2O - they are available in different capacities - great device and not too heavy.
A Solar Pack - only uses Solar for charging its own built in battery - Mike
llandod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected that might be the answer. I was hoping someone was going to tell me of a registry key or something that will allow the receiver to remain powered - oh well.

wrt my location, lets just say I was rather suprised to see streets that I am very familiar with on the screen shot above!!

Simon
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mikealder, you said:

"To use the radio with your own headphones is possible but involves cutting up the supplied earphone cable and is not something I aim to discuss here, I do have the wiring schematic available should anyone want it to try modifying there own headset."

Can you send me the instructions for that, please? It is something I think I would like to try. I have a nice pair of Shure E2C ear-phones, and I was a bit miffed to find that I can't use them with my P3300. Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save me time looking for the diagram on the PC have a look at This which details the connections to the supplied earphones, all you need to do is connect a 3,5MM socket in lue of the speakers, this does involve trashing your supplied earphones (small loss as they are not very good to be honest) - Mike
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick supply of that diagram.

Does what you have in mind involve cutting off the ear buds from the HTC set (at the very right hand side of your diagram), fixing a female 3.5mm stereo socket to the ends of the wires, so that I can plug in the 3.5mm plug of my Shure phones? I don't want to cut-up my Shure phones.

The problem I see is that there are two pairs of wire ends to be accommodated (four wires) but there are only three connectors in a stereo plug. The wiring diagram seems to suggest that the ground wires from each bud can not be joined.

Have you got around this problem? If so, how? Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the radio with a decent pair of earphones requires removal of the little circuit board in the plastic box containing the PCB, Microphone and volume control. From the wiring diagram you need :

pin 6 Left (Green wire)
pin 11 Right (Red wire)
pin 8 Common return for both L/R (Red/ Yell wire)

With the above wires removed from the PCB you can solder a socket to this cable and plug in your decent earphones, as the wire still contains the all important aerial connection via pin 7 the radio will work fine.

You will need to keep the HTC cable intact upto the plastic box as this cable contains the aerial for the radio, if all you wanted to do was listen to mp3 I would suggest purchasing the special 3,5MM socket mentioned in my earlier text, but you cannot use the radio with this as it doesn't feed the aerial - Mike
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks - looks like I'll have to cut up my Shures.

On another subject, mike, have you been able to get the bluetooth link to work between the P3300 and a TT GO 700? I have never used bluetooth before so I don't know quite what I am doing. I've been through all the menus and got bluetooth activated on both devices, and I can get the P3300 to see the 700, but I can't get the 700 to see the P3300.

Is this what you have found? Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike, What software version have you got on the 700 as the P3300 was not found on earlier releases of TomTom software, I think if you update to the latest you should get hands free working, if you want Data connection you need to add DUN profile to the HTC P3300 for this to work, by default the phone does not suport the DUN profile so the TomTom cannot use the device.
Which OS have you got on the ARTEMIS WM2005 or WM6 as it easier to add DUN to the WM6 OS - Mike
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 700 is running version 6.520, and the P3300 is running WM6.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Thread which contains a link to another web site where you can get a CAB instaler to put the BT Dun profile on the Artemis running WM6, this will then allow the Go to connect and use the phone for data connection, it should already support the hands free mode. - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: